Is this normal?

Options
I've finally noticed that my body likes to cycle through phases for weightloss, like I will lose massive amounts of inches all over, then lose 3-4 pounds and it starts over again. I thought I plateaued but I guessed wrong because I took my measurements today. This seems so stubbornly slow, does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• zriggsbee
    Options
    yes! it is normal. Depending on your diet and exercise routine your body will go thru ebs and flows of weightloss aka adjustment to your changes. if you feel you plateaued then step up your work outs a couple notches i.e. heavier weights or higher # of reps... different exercises.. more exercises etc...

I would ask how often do these cycle occur? can the loss in inches be from reduced water retention? or actualy fat loss... just something to think about.

Keep a journal of the cycles and share it with your Dr. they should be able to give you good insight.

Good Luck
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am not sure... but for me I lost 10+ lbs my clothes feel looser can wear a smaller size in some clothes but didn't loose any inches... how can that be???? I did the 30 day shred and thought I would loose inches... only lost weight... very weird.
  • goalie35
    goalie35 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I seem to have this same issue. I do the same amount of exercise and eat my recommended calories but I also lose in small spurts. There sometimes is takes a couple weeks to start losing again. Stay focused on your goal and you'll eventually get there.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal. Inches are always a better guage of your progress than the scale.

Here's a great post on why the scale is not to be trusted as the end-all and be-all: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/199382-why-the-scale-lies?page=1#posts-2636979