Tips on clothes for running?

Options
EmRN06
EmRN06 Posts: 85 Member
So, currently I am on week 7 of C25K... and it's been going great! I'm really excited that I've been able to start running. I had some doubts if I could do it or not, and the running 25 minutes without a break is VERY difficult for me, but I'm getting there. One of my biggest complaints is not being COMFORTABLE while I run. Right now I wear capri workout pants, or yoga pants with a tshirt. But the tshirts are baggy and just hang on me, plus they sop up a ton of sweat, and I am constantly tugging and pulling at my shirt to try to get it comfortable around my neck and arms.

HELP! I am not a stick, or even thin at all. I still have a tummy pouch and I don't want to wear really tight fitting clothes that I see so often at the gym (and I am jealous of). Is there any clothes that are good for running when I still have some rolls that I want to hide? Tight enough not to hang, but not so tight that everyone can see my jiggle?

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Emily

Replies

• taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    You can get a techical t-shirt that will wick moisture away. Anything but cotton! Cotton is not good for running
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of my stuff at Target. The C9 line has some good wicking options (and I think they are on sale this week!). I wear the longer shorts or capri's to prevent the dreaded chub-rub. :) Wicking sports bra, and then a technical t-shirt and you should be good to go! :)
  • momofcole
    momofcole Posts: 18
    Options
    Anything moisture-wicking, dri-fit. Sporting goods stores have a ton of Ts- they are not all tight. I like Nike and Underarmour best but they are $$! Target makes some basic dri-fit T's as well.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    What's funny about this is I feel thinner in my tight running clothes than I do in my regular clothes. I wish I could wear them all the time!

I don't know what to tell ya. I wear capri tights in the winter and bike type shorts in the summer. Most of my shirts are tech tee's or tech tanks. I try to get the ones that are longish and not too fitted. They do exist. You can try for mens tech tees, but sometimes those can make someone look much larger than they really are. Make sure you don't get cotton!

I say, go with comfort and forget the way you look! It's not a fashion show and no one is really looking at you that way. All they might think is "look at that runner, good for her"
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    some of my favorite stuff is actually from target...it is their C9 line and it is a weird stretchy fabric that has no seems..so no chaffing. I don't mind snug but when I was a tad more concerned I would wear it under a vest which target has too...or a short sleve under a looser tank....I have never once in my entire life looked at a runner and thought they not be wearing something...as they are out there doing it...so even if I am showing or can see rolls I think "power to the runner" more than anything else....

MArshals and TJ Maxx have some decent brands too in wicking clothing so you could go try on different sizes to see what makes you feel good.

They are a tad more expensive than I am willing to spend but there are also really cute running skirts and dresses out there that are figure flattering with the purpose of working out.....don't know the brands but since I am happy in Target stuff I just couldn't spend more than $20 on something to sweat in (at least for summer/spring running...winter running I spend the necessary money to be warm)
  • EmilyV80
    EmilyV80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I know just what you are talking about and I can't stand that tugging from a big sweat soaked shirt. I really like the New Balance Tempo shirts. The side panels give it a nice shape too so it is flattering. They come is long sleeve, short sleeve and sleeveless. Hope that helps!

http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Womens-Sleeve-Seaport/dp/B003SE5YAQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&qlEnable=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1300911943&sr=1-3&searchContext=B003SE5YOM,B004HEWVNO,B003SE5YAQ,B004HEWW2Y,B003SHFCCS,B003SE5XWA,B004HEWVTS,B000NJKFVW
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Well you are absolutely right that the cotton is the absolute worst thing in the world! Today it's soggy and heavy. Wait til you start adding distance and then it chafes and blisters you!

You need the synthetic, wicking fibers in your tops and your bottoms. There are lots of workout clothes out there that are not skin tight. Champion makes lots of semi-fitted (follows the shape of the body but doesn't cling) workout wear and it's easy to find. The big box sporting goods stores carry it and so does Target.

You didn't give any sense of your size, but Moving Comfort makes very durable workout wear and makes sizes up to 2X. I have a lot of their stuff that I used for years (over 5) when I was thinnner and a very dedicated, 25 mile a week runner. Their sizing tends to run a little large, so be forewarned there. Many, many stores and online outlets carry their stuff, and they do make things that are not skin tight.

Check out running supply websites as well. The simple truth is that the average runner is indeed middle aged and carrying a little extra weight. Nobody wants to highlight the softer bits, so there is lots of loose or semi-fitted stuff out there!

*NOTE: When you start buying these synthetic, wicking clothes, DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER ON THEM, EVER! Not in the washer, not in the dryer. The fabric softener plugs up the fibers that ought to be wicking sweat from your skin to the surface of the garment, where it ought to evaporate. You can RUIN good technical clothes with fabric softener.

Even though the technical stuff is more expensive, it lasts forever. You really only need 2 sets of good running stuff for each sort of weather you run in. One to be in the wash and one that you are actually using.

I used to buy tons of it, and you know what? I use the same two or three favorite pieces all the time. It really was a waste to buy more. ;)
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Several people here have recommended the C9 line from Target and I just want to say I've been pretty happy with their stuff for running--particularly the wicking Tshirts. They're probably one of the least expensive options, too.

For shorts, I've been wearing Reebok athletic shorts with a built-in panty for years. No binding, no chafing, no riding up. (That's really important to me--LOL!)

And, IMHO, a great bra is very important. I use the running bras from Champion that are designed for maximum control.

And, what someone else said: Don't use ANY fabric softener on your wicking clothes. I always line dry mine.

Good luck!
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Agree that line drying is best for workout wear. Just wanted to mention fabric softener in the dryer as some folks do throw their technical gear in the dryer, and just tosss in that dryer sheet (or have one of the fabric softeners that attach to the dryer and last a month or two).

And while we're talking about laundering your technical gear, you can wash it on gentle. It doesn't really get 'dirty', just stinky. Gentle is fine!
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Another thing:

If it's still cold where you are, as it is here:

Personally, I LOVE a half zip top! When it's cold out, you want to be a little bit chilly at the start of your run. Otherwise, you'll be WAY too hot 15 minutes into it. I love the half zip tops because you can adjust the zip while running to cool down a bit or warm up a bit.

A wind vest is also a great piece to own. There are a lot of days when it's too warm to wear the winter stuff, or at least your warmest winter stuff, but the wind is just killing you once you are sweaty. A wind vest is the perfect solution here!

Also for winter: Long-sleeved tops that have what looks like a pocket on the cuff. This pocket folds over into a mitten. LOVE! I used to carry gloves. You start off that chilly run wearing them and then you just have to take them off when you're getting warm! I lost a heck of a lot of expensive running gloves before I found these tops with the mitten cuff! You just roll them back when you warm up! GENIUS!
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this topic! I've been using fabric softener for my workout clothes, now I realize I'm not supposed to. Hopefully I haven't ruined them. I'm going to start washing them separately.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    How does Target's C9 compare with the Old Navy stuff?

I got a wicking tank from Old Navy (my first "real" clothing item for exercise) and it makes me SO HOT. I can't stand it.
    Is that just typical of these types of clothing items or did I just get a bad one?
  • Atlantique
    Options
    How does Target's C9 compare with the Old Navy stuff?

I got a wicking tank from Old Navy (my first "real" clothing item for exercise) and it makes me SO HOT. I can't stand it.
    Is that just typical of these types of clothing items or did I just get a bad one?

I haven't ever tried theOld Navy stuff, so I can't say whether it's better or worse.

However, you may have just bought something that is too heavy or too densely knit for the conditions that you are running in. A wicking tank SHOULD make you cooler, as it's bringing sweat to the surface for evaporation. The only exception I can think of are tanks that are specifically marketed for warmth and use as an underlayer in winter.
  • Andrea1138
    Options
    I use Target's C9 stuff too, have been wearing the same shirts/tights for 3 years now. No complaints :) And I want to put a plug in for Body Glide, this stuff you can apply to your skin in areas where clothes (or watches or ipods) chafe. It's amazing stuff. I even use it to keep my Garmin from slipping around on my wrist.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    I use Target's C9 stuff too, have been wearing the same shirts/tights for 3 years now. No complaints :) And I want to put a plug in for Body Glide, this stuff you can apply to your skin in areas where clothes (or watches or ipods) chafe. It's amazing stuff. I even use it to keep my Garmin from slipping around on my wrist.

+1 on the BodyGlide. I didn't need it until i was running more than 7 miles at a time, but others may need it sooner--especially if you're losing weight so your sports bra is not snug!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I like the 100% Polyester shirts that they sell at Target. I think they are made my Champion. They sell for around $10. They are not too tight. I find them very comfy. On the bottom I wear some old workout pants that are pretty skin tight with a nice elastic band that stays up. They are cotton which is supposed to be a no-no, but they work for me. I find the sweating on top to be what is most uncomfortable.
  • EmRN06
    Options
    Thank you al SO SO SO much for your recommendations and thoughts! I learned a lot and I am actually looking forward to shopping for new workout clothes!!!
  • EmRN06
    Options
    Another thing:

If it's still cold where you are, as it is here:

Personally, I LOVE a half zip top! When it's cold out, you want to be a little bit chilly at the start of your run. Otherwise, you'll be WAY too hot 15 minutes into it. I love the half zip tops because you can adjust the zip while running to cool down a bit or warm up a bit.

A wind vest is also a great piece to own. There are a lot of days when it's too warm to wear the winter stuff, or at least your warmest winter stuff, but the wind is just killing you once you are sweaty. A wind vest is the perfect solution here!

Also for winter: Long-sleeved tops that have what looks like a pocket on the cuff. This pocket folds over into a mitten. LOVE! I used to carry gloves. You start off that chilly run wearing them and then you just have to take them off when you're getting warm! I lost a heck of a lot of expensive running gloves before I found these tops with the mitten cuff! You just roll them back when you warm up! GENIUS!

What brands are these items? Specifically the long-sleeved tops with pocket/mittens and the half-zip top???
  • laurie_powers
    laurie_powers Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What's funny about this is I feel thinner in my tight running clothes than I do in my regular clothes. I wish I could wear them all the time!

Yep, I'd say the same thing. The fabrics feel nicer, too, and you don't chafe from your clothes rubbing under your arms and stuff.
    I actually prefer to run in skorts and tanks. I usually put a wicking long sleeve over, but have to shed layers after about 10 minutes in. Try a couple of different things, you'll find what feels best to you soon! :)
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I, too, am having trouble finding what to wear in the warmer temps. This winter I have been running in my flannel lined jeans and old winter coat. I put ankle weights in the pockets of the coat. Now that it's warmer and I don't have all that weight I am running better than ever!