water vs sugar free drink mix

Options
ok, so I know i need to drink the water, but there are some days when I just can't do it. I have some of that Great Value sugar free drink mix (5 calories a serving) and really what is the thought on counting that as water? It's mostly water...

Replies

• kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Water is always going to be better for you--but Great Value or Crystal Light or some other similar brand are just fine to count as water. I love them, too. Just bought a couple more packages today. :flowerforyou:
  • kellyfultz
    kellyfultz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i like them too, i usually drink one of them per day and the rest of my 64 oz. plain water.
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use them too, be careful what kind you buy some of them have aspartame which can actually make you retain water! The way I see it is adding them to my water is better than not drinking water at all. I usually do better with plain water during and after a workout!
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My wife's nutritionist said that water with those packets is fine and that would "count" as water.
  • ssawchenko
    Options
    At home we often put things in our water jug that add a little something. I've really enjoyed cucumber (and ginger if you want to kick it up a notch), or even just a lemon slice.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    I also use the Great Value Sugar Free drink mixes. I sprinkle a little in my cup everytime I fill it up. Our water here tastes horrible and it helps to mask that!
  • ARound423
    Options
    working out definately use plain water...i like it as cold as i can get it. also helps me cool off from working up a sweat! but if i'm not getting in enough water during the day i use the drink mixes to help get my required 8 glasses, esepcially with meals instead of grabbing a diet soda.
  • ARound423
    Options
    I also use the Great Value Sugar Free drink mixes. I sprinkle a little in my cup everytime I fill it up. Our water here tastes horrible and it helps to mask that!

yup that's the main reason i use them too. we have filtered water but we're on a well and when your water smells gross it definately tastes gross. filtering it helps a lot but sometimes i just gotta have some sort of flavor to get me through the day!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Better to drink a little drink mix, than to avoid water completely. But artificial sweeteners can work against you when it comes to weight-loss, so in time you will want to wean off. I make pitchers of flavored water by adding a bunch of mint or pineapple core. It gives it a very subtle flavor and is great change up for me to drinking water with richer foods (I was raised in sweet drink and the transition off has been a little hard).
  • MrsHilgert
    MrsHilgert Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i used to drink a lot of diet dr pepper and now barely at all. maybe once a week. So I mostly just drink water, especially if I have cold water bottles. But we ran out and I do hate the tap water. Plus, when I'm cold, like today, I'm just not thirsty at all.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I add 1/3 of one of those sugar free packets to each of my water bottles just to give it some flavor. If 10-20 cals a day helps me drink 6 bottles of water, I say it's a good thing :)
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Be careful of "diet " drinks. Some of them have sodium and studies on artificial sweetener has shown to increase the sweet tooth.