How many rest days in a week? (strength)

Options
ajbeans
ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
I know if you're doing heavy lifting you're supposed to do one day on one area and then rest that area for the next day, like arms one day and legs the next, or whatever. But what if you're not lifting heavy?

I don't lift weights, but I do bodyweight exercises, and I do some light resistance band stuff for my arms. Is this something I can/should do every day, or should I rest those muscles every other day like a heavier lifter would? I'm also wondering about abs and core muscles -- I've heard that you can work that muscle group every day, but is that true?

Replies

• zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    To my understanding the only time you ever really need a rest day is if your heavy lifting and realistically the only reason they rest a certain group is to allow the muscle tissue to regenerate/grow back larger then before thus gaining muscle. So if you weren't worried about gaining muscle and weren't too sore from the previous day I'm pretty sure you could go consecutive days. which will help you tone up.
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    Bump aj!
  • zriggsbee
    Options
    You can definitely work abs/core everyday. The main thing to keep in mind is that is QUALITY in the rep over quantity and just getting it done. Do the exercise right is so much more important and effective than just doing it.

If you can do weight bearing exercises everyday than you may need to increase the weight or the # of reps done CORRECTLY to make the workout more efficient.

The day of rest is recommended/necessary for your muscles to heal. when you lift weights or do weight bearing activity you are literally breaking down/tearing the muscle fibers and building up lactic acid. This is where the soreness/pain comes from. the day of rest allows the muscle to heal in order to be strong and ready for the next round of lifting/weight bearing activity

hope this helps...
  • ajbeans
    Options
    I'm pretty wimpy right now, so I can't do that many reps at a time, so that's why I was wondering if I could do it every day to try to build up that endurance. That makes sense about the soreness. I guess I'll let my body be my guide, and if I'm sore I'll take a rest, but if I'm not sore, I'll try to increase the intensity to make sure I'm going to my limit. Thanks for the input, guys!
  • Kimd1972
    Kimd1972 Posts: 45
    Options
    Hey AJ,

I am certified in Les Mills BodyPump which is a weightlifting class. We are trained to tell people that you should rest in between any resistance training. Therefore, if you are doing light reisitance - that is still resistance. Your muscles are still be "torn down" and they will need rest to come back longer, stronger, and leaner. Abs and core can be worked everyday - I wou;d just work them in different ways to switch up the workout.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!
  • ajbeans
    Options
    Hey AJ,

I am certified in Les Mills BodyPump which is a weightlifting class. We are trained to tell people that you should rest in between any resistance training. Therefore, if you are doing light reisitance - that is still resistance. Your muscles are still be "torn down" and they will need rest to come back longer, stronger, and leaner. Abs and core can be worked everyday - I wou;d just work them in different ways to switch up the workout.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Thanks, that does help!