"Secretary Spread" Stinks!!!

Options
UGH. I sit at my desk for 8 hours a day. I get up when I have to, but for the most part I am sitting in front of a computer from 7:30 to 11:30, then I go do my fitness program, and then I come back and sit at my desk from 12:30 to 4:30. If the economy wasn't so bad, I'd be able to retire from this type of work and run my little clothing shop. But for now, I have a store manager, and I"m sitting on my tush. Boy, am I tired....

Replies

• HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    me too!!! i find reasons/excuses to get up and walk around. of course, we are in a small office and i am not "tied" to my chair. but im miserable at my desk. wish i was home chasing my kids or at the gym. im looking for a new job where i can be more active...
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!!! I'm on my tush all day and it shows!! I count the minutes until the end of the work day so i can get up and move around!
  • ravenla
    ravenla Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    wow do we all sit on our butt and have office jobs. i watch the clock like a hawk. these are the times i want to snack!
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I only sit on my butt for 8 hrs on saturday and 5 hours monday - thursday... It stinks.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I have a suggestion; don't know if it will work for any of you, BUT (or should I say "butt"?) -- if you can bring in a fitness ball and use that to sit on instead of a chair, I've read in fitness mags that it forces you to use your abs, glutes and hamstrings/quads to balance. Maybe that could help de-spread your derriere? Good luck!:smile:
  • barberella
    barberella Posts: 199
    Options
    I am able to leave when I want to; when I need to go out and see clients, but for the most part, it's in front of the computer for me too from 8-4:30. I do go to the work gym for an hour, and around 10am, I run the back steps for about five minutes. Also, I bring my resistance band and lift weights.

As far as the food goes though, I have the BEST time with at work. I have such a routine that I mess up on the weekends. THat's what I need help with especially since I'm being laid off on March 31st..I need help with that!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    My spread was approaching Bonanza proportions for awhile there. The only way I keep it under control is to work it before and after the office hours - sometimes for up to 3 hours a day. I like to eat. Thus I need to like to exercise, lol.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Well you know where my mind was I thought Secretary Spread was a spread you put on a sandwich. Feel kinda stupid and even stupider to tell everyone. Oh well made me laugh after i read the whole thing
  • az1cowgirl
    Options
    I heard the same thing about the stability ball and I'm thinking about bringing one in myself. I also heard about the gofit stability disk that you can set on your chair and then sit on.

http://www.gofit.net/

I might have to give that try.
  • PGordon7
    PGordon7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Siscotty,

I can totally relate; I work from 8:00 to 5:00. As I type this reply, I am moving around on a body ball (exercise ball). If it is possible for you to have one at work please consider it. I simply rock and roll back and forth on the ball (working the abs), and bounce occasionally (working the thighs and glutes). I don't sit on it the entire day; usually a few hours in the morning or a few hours in the afternoon. I am not sure how many calories I burn in a day by doing this. However, I am sure I burn more on this $7 ball than I do sitting in my $600 chair. :flowerforyou:
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Well you know where my mind was I thought Secretary Spread was a spread you put on a sandwich. Feel kinda stupid and even stupider to tell everyone. Oh well made me laugh after i read the whole thing

Mine was ... somewhere else entirely ... :blushing:

LOL!!