BAREFOOT SHOES

✿KẙMb529✿
✿KẙMb529✿ Posts: 152
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok, my husband has some five fingers and really loves them. Now, I'm thinking about jumping on the banwagon. I wanted a little assistance from some fellow runners who run in barefoot shoes though. There are some merrels out there that I'm also interested in. Here is the site of the two merrels I'm interested in (only the top two) : http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Women-Footwear-Shoes-Barefoot
And here is the site of the five fingers I'm interested in: http://www.mountsport.com/index.php/vibram-five-fingers-speed-women-s-black-red-vws606.html?___store=default&___store=default#

I'm anxious to hear from those of you who have worn either shoe or both.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    I have 4 pairs of VFF's. I was a barefoot runner for a year until I developed ITBS. I'm now in Saucony Kinavara, which are not as cushioned or supportive as most other running shoes. My husband is a VFF runner as well.

What would you like to know??
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    bump! I'm curious too :)
  • I have 4 pairs of VFF's. I was a barefoot runner for a year until I developed ITBS. I'm now in Saucony Kinavara, which are not as cushioned or supportive as most other running shoes. My husband is a VFF runner as well.

What would you like to know??

4?! Wow. How do you like them compared to conventional running shoes? Did it take you a while to get used to them? Have you ever tried Merrels?
  • ohohraptor
    ohohraptor Posts: 205 Member
    I'm interested too, I want a pair of 5 fingers!
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    I started out very very slow. I mean like no more than 1/4 mile in them to begin. My dog has a backpack and he would carry my shoes for me so I could continue my run in my regular shoes. Sometimes I would start out with the vff's and sometimes would end with them. It took several months to get up to decent miles in them.

I ran a handful of smaller races and a half marathon in them. My dh has ran 2 marathons and then some in vff's.

I started out in KSO's and then made my way to the Bikilas which I loved!! There is no comparison to conventional running shoes. I'm a total believer in stability cushioned shoes causing more problems than not. If you have arch problems, the worst thing to do is put a crutch there instead of getting the arch and surrounding muscles stronger.

But I will say that they aren't for everyone. I found that getting up beyond the 13 miles of a half marathon, I really really needed some forefoot cushioning. Every body is different and has a different stride. My stride totally changed in the vff's, but I still had a problem with heel striking and would sometimes have to run completely barefoot to correct it.

I can't say if the vff's caused my ITBS as I've never been good at stretching and using the foam roller. I stopped running in them a few weeks out from my marathon last December. After that, I took a good month off and have been running in my Saucony's since then. I will start running in the vff's again, but have to start all over as my feet have gotten a little lazy in the cushons.

I haven't tried any other barefoot shoe. I really like the toes in the vff's as they really help you grab and feel the ground. It's hard to explain, you just have to have some time in them to really "get it".

MTA: and I do want to stress that you have to take the time for your feet to get strong. You can injure yourself if you try too much too soon in vff's or any other barefoot shoe. Your foot has been lazy for years in stability shoes and needs time to build up the muscles needed to support the bones and tendons.
  • MTA: and I do want to stress that you have to take the time for your feet to get strong. You can injure yourself if you try too much too soon in vff's or any other barefoot shoe. Your foot has been lazy for years in stability shoes and needs time to build up the muscles needed to support the bones and tendons.

Please heed to this advice!! I didn't and as a result, I got a stress fracture in my foot. My doctor told me that he has seen tons of stress fractures with these shoes. They are great but you have to ease into them and I didn't. I loved them and will eventually wear them again, but I don't want to risk another injury. So just take it slow with these shoes.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    I have the Merrell Trail Gloves, and I really like them so far. I can definitely feel the extra work my calves are getting when I run in them. I've been trying to mix them in with running in my regular shoes, and you definitely don't want to do too much too soon.
This discussion has been closed.