How much, is too much..Sodium?

Options
my daily goal is 2,500 -_- .. i didn't know that. i feel like that is A LOT i usually eat 1600.

Replies

• kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    2300-2400mg is the RDA, unless you have heart/cardiovascular issues then it is 1300mg....
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    if you are under your daily goal, I am sure you are fine. You can make it show your daily sodium if you tweak your Food tab. Go to Food tab, then settings and you can then follow the mfp directions. Good luck!!
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I usally eat less then the 2,500.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the 2,500 figure (mine also) but you get enough sodium from normal food - no need to add any. Also avoid processed 'ready meals' they are full of salt, and other salty stuff like crisps (chips)

rgds, David
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i dont know the answer to your question but WOW!!! i think most people go way over that and you manage to stay well under! great job!
  • knort
    knort Posts: 5
    Options
    My dad said 1500 is good normal amount i believe his Dr told him that
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When it says 'goal' it really means don't exceed this amount. So anything under that is fine. A safe intake is suggested to be anything from 900mgs (remember some sodium is necessary) up to 2300mgs :)
  • Shyann32
    Shyann32 Posts: 11
    Options
    When it comes to the daily alotment of sodium (salt) it really depends on a lot of factors...such as your gender, age, weight, race, workout regiment, etc. The average adult should not get more than 2500 mg of salt a day but there are certain classes of people that really shouldn't get more than 1500 a day.

Most Americans don't realize how much salt they intake a day, especially if they are eating fast food or frozen meals. Some of the most common foods that are high in sodium are pizza, frozen dinners, potato chips, processed deli meats (turkey, ham, roast beef that come packaged in a container), and pasta dishes. For you individually, you may want to look at WebMD website (http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/news/20100624/90-percent-in-us-get-too-much-salt-5-foods-blamed) or Ehow's webpage (http://www.ehow.com/topic_718_benefits-risks-sodium.html) regarding Sodium/Salt and the needed daily intake.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I posted this as a topic yesterday - but it is World Salt Awareness week (here is the link to salt & your health: http://www.worldactiononsalt.com/awareness/world_salt_awareness_week_2010.htm)

and one small rule of thumb as if your food has more mg sodium than calories per serving it's considered "salty" ... (Dr. David Katz)
  • mandiex0
    mandiex0 Posts: 174
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Appreciate it and helpful information. I am treating myself tonight and eating something containing 1200mg of sodium and thats a lot!! I am nervous, it made my total 2137. And like i said before i usually only consume 1500-1600mg of sodium. I dont think having this for one night will be bad.. Just a little worried lol.
  • jonisalie
    jonisalie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Heart heathly diet is now 1500 or less, they want to lower it for everyone to be 1500 or less. It takes time to adjust but once you do it is easy to do. We learned that 5% per serving is best, for heart health. Mine is set for 1500 and I usually stay between 700-900 each day.