What should I eat?

Options
I think I would be great and very healthy if I knew what to eat and could find healthy recipes that don't require too much time/prep!! I have little girls who want to eat RIGHT NOW when I pick them up after work and I'm a single mom so with it just being me I usually go for quick and easy...quick and easy doesn't seem to be that healthy. Can anyone suggest some good healthy snacks and/or sites that I can find quick and healthy meals?

Replies

• TheWatchStander
    Options
    allrecipies.com is a good site but you will have to analyse for health friendly foods manually.
  • dcberg00
    dcberg00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My wife and I live by the Weight Watchers Meals in Minutes Cookbook. It has all 3 course broken down into 15, 20, 30 minute meal options. We have not had a bad meal out of it yet.
  • mbuzalski
    mbuzalski Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com

This website has some good ideas! Another thing I do is when I have time make a double batch and freeze into smaller portions. It helps when days are busy. Fresh Veggies are always a good way to start a meal. Maybe you could get the girls a little snack while chicken is baking. Another great invention is the crock pot. Best of luck to you.
  • _Lisa_
    _Lisa_ Posts: 61
    Options
    crock pots are great! Then you can prep it the night before, put it in the fridge, and plug it in right before you leave in the morning and it's ready and waiting for you when you get home. Lots of good ideas here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113439-what-is-your-fav-slow-cooker-recipe
  • mmellor
    mmellor Posts: 146
    Options
    kraftkitchens.com - great recipes, simple and quick!
  • knort
    knort Posts: 5
    Options
    I eat alot of whole foods( fresh vegtables and whole grains) my belly is so much smaller from this alone. I try to buy very little food in pckg or pre made and find meats without steroids if possible
  • Pamc64
    Pamc64 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Lauren-- I remember those days, and I think you are SO SMART for getting on track now, while your girls are little. It's so easy to fall into the habit of fast food, or premade stuff. My two "little girls" are 21 & 24 yrs old now, but I remember the hectic days and all like it was yesterday. It takes a little preparation, but how about packing a snack bag with a few whole wheat pretzels, prewrapped cheese, etc in it for the ride home ? If you pack a few of those freezer thingies in there, and use an insulated lunch sack, it should stay plenty cold. As far as supper goes, cooking ahead & freezing stuff is probably your best bet. Best of luck to you, and hang in there !
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    If you get your girls and yourself a small snack when you get home of a fruit or some cheese then you'll be able to work on dinner more peacefully - don't forget, you'll all feel better overall when you're eating better! I love mozzarella string cheese or baby oranges for that kind of snack. It gets more and more difficult to think of what to eat as you get hungrier, so you tend to grab for whatever's available; it's the same strategy as not going grocery shopping hungry, so you can be sure to make better choices. Have a snack, then prepare a relaxed and healthy meal. :-)
  • Pamc64
    Pamc64 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    WoW ! Congratulations on your 29 lb loss ! :)
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • Meag83
    Meag83 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    crock pots are great! Then you can prep it the night before, put it in the fridge, and plug it in right before you leave in the morning and it's ready and waiting for you when you get home. Lots of good ideas here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113439-what-is-your-fav-slow-cooker-recipe

Love the crock!!!!! Add raw meat to the crock in the morning (don't want the kiddos getting sick). If you weight everything out and calculate all the calories when you are preparing it the night before it will be really easy for you to weight out an appropriate portion at dinner time.

Good luck
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    For crock pots a good idea is to get a cooking bag that will fit your crock pot and put the food in the bag in frig over night and in the morn put the bag with the food in crock pot. I twist the top/opening of bag and hang over side. Makes for quick easy cleanup too.
  • tonedover
    tonedover Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    NOT breads

Do:
    Walnuts almonds and sunflower seeds
    dried cranberries and raisins
    get fiber and calcium suppliments
    LOWcal and LOWfat protein drinks (Intek Protein Endurance, Muscle Milk Light)
    lettuce / salads w/ light vinegrettes
    lean ground turkey to replace red meat
    Chicken breast - grilled, baked, shredded, chopped, strips, etc.
    all the frozen veggies you want
    soups, chilis

And best of all -- whatever you want in smaller portions!

Just whats working for me so far!
  • lauren0985
    lauren0985 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Well I already love this site and everyone here! Thanks for all of the VERY QUICK input!!
  • EzraCCM
    EzraCCM Posts: 47
    Options
    I love the crock pot for days that I may be getting home late and tired... it's so nice to already have a meal done!

I also use www.tasteofhome.com for go-to recipes as they break recipes down by ingredient, course, health needs and so on. They have magazines, too, (simple and delicious, light and tasty, cooking for two etc) which are nice because they arrive at your door every other month and some of the recipes are kid-friendly, so you can get them in the kitchen learning how to prepare healthy foods.

hope it helps!
  • Kahtra
    Kahtra Posts: 1
    Options
    I would suggest having a healthy snack for them to have RIGHT NOW. So that will give them a little something to stop them bugging you and being "Mum I'm staaarrving!". And give you time to get something prepared.

So now hopefully you have time to make the healthy dinner. Try online recipes taste.com.au and all recipes seem to have a pretty good selection. With taste you can even select what type of food you want ie dinner, diabetic, and even put in the ingrediants you want to use. Also try supermarket websites ie woolies and coles, they have recipes that have everthing listed for what you have to buy. Think outside the box. Just because western culture has it that you have to have a cooked meal for dinner doesn't mean you have to. Have cold meat and salad sandwiches always very easy, fast and healthy. Asian stir fry are also quick. Just throw in meat, frozen veges with or without noodles or sauce and done. Or just google or bing with the ingredients you want to use or what type of recipe you want. There are a lot of forums and websites out there, far too many to list.

Just remember to watch for recipes that seem healthy that are not. Watch out for sauces and dressings that have lots of preservatives, not so good, and watch for too many complex carbs, that just fill up space.

The best thing I can suggest is to keep it simple. There is a reason meat and three veg is seen as a staple. And preperation is key. Plan your meals ahead with shopping lists and meal plans. Now when the kids jump in the car you can go 'hear have and apple/carrot stick/ youghurt/or other healthy alternative and I am cooking chicken breast with steam veges' or 'the hot pot will be ready when we get home'.

Hope this helps.