Losing Weight, But Don't Look Like It

Options
Since I started trying to lose weight I've lost 17 lbs. However, I don't feel like I look any different. I didn't take any pictures until I was down to 152, but since then I've lost 12 lbs so I feel like I should look a little smaller, right? I started taking measurements too, but was already down to 145 when I first did that. I've lost .5" in my waist at the smallest part, and supposedly 2" in my waist at my belly button, and 1" in my hips. I don't really trust the measurements I take though. Especially when it comes to my waist. It seems like it is never entirely accurate. I took a picture today because I wanted to compare with the pictures at 152, and i really don't see any change.

Does anyone have any idea why that would happen? I've been kind of slacking in the nutrition/exercise department the last week or two because of lack of motivation and feeling down because I'm not looking any better.

Replies

• BrickHouse2011
    BrickHouse2011 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    maybe you are not looking smaller because you are toning up and building muscle. Don't worry i bet everyonelse see the difference.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    If you don't trust the scale, measurements or YOUR eyes...what do you want from a bunch of people who don't know you at all. Learn to trust, and maybe you will see YOU.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I've lost 120 pounds, and I feel like I don't look any different. It's psychological... all in your mind. :) I'm sure you look phenomenal, girl!
  • TheWatchStander
    Options
    Think about it this way... when you first start losing weight you dont really see the results because you have so much body fat spread out over your whole body. The initial fat loss is from a large pool and doesnt really show... like taking 25 cents from a pile of quarters totalling 5 dollars. But if you keep taking 25 cents eventually it gets to the point where each quarter you take becomes more and more dramatic.
  • p_nutprincess
    p_nutprincess Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The best way to tell is by how your clothes fit. Do they feel like they are getting loose?
  • TheWatchStander
    Options
    If you don't trust the scale, measurements or YOUR eyes...what do you want from a bunch of people who don't know you at all. Learn to trust, and maybe you will see YOU.

Arent you a ray of sunshine...
  • brendagangadin
    Options
    I felt like that too.
    I was like I don't see no difference.
    But sometime the weight loss is in places you don't measure.
    For example when I loose weight first place is my face, then my feet.
    Go figure, all the places you cannot really see.
    It is probably showing, but in places you are not measuring.
  • wannalose25
    wannalose25 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've lost 120 pounds, and I feel like I don't look any different. It's psychological... enough said!!
  • brit1329
    brit1329 Posts: 293 Member
    Options

Well that's why I said I don't SEE a difference. I'm wanting some advice on how to make that difference, or why I would be losing weight and not seeing the difference on the outside. I thought that's why were all here, so a bunch of people we don't know can offer advice/motivation/support.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've lost 118lbs and still feel like I weigh 335 when I look in the mirror. I know it's in my head but -shrug-
  • RachelHancock
    Options
    Think about it this way... when you first start losing weight you dont really see the results because you have so much body fat spread out over your whole body. The initial fat loss is from a large pool and doesnt really show... like taking 25 cents from a pile of quarters totalling 5 dollars. But if you keep taking 25 cents eventually it gets to the point where each quarter you take becomes more and more dramatic.

Good analogy, makes me feel much better, thank you!
  • TheWatchStander
    Options
    In efforts to try and avoid this dilemma I take pictures every week and compile them when I reach my goal into a time lapse video... it breaks the psychological barrier.
  • brit1329
    Options
    The best way to tell is by how your clothes fit. Do they feel like they are getting loose?

Well, after my daughter was born I never really transitioned out of my maternity pants. I know it sounds so stupid, but I tried cloth shopping and I just couldn't find a pair of pants that actually fit me so I gave up. I did have one pair of pants that I am pretty sure fit me and now they seem a lot looser. Also, I've recently started wearing a couple of my pre-pregnancy jeans but with a hair tie to keep them together since it's not comfortable to sit with them buttoned. (I know it sounds so strange, but I'm trying to transition to normal again lol)
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Are you noticing it in your clothes?? I lost 13 so far and the only way i can see it is through my clothes. My shorts are too big on my now, i had to put them away and i need new ones! Also my one pair of jeans is fitting a lot better. Before i had a muffin top, now it's barely there
  • knort
    knort Posts: 5
    Options
    Eat whole grains instead of flour it will help with belly fat
  • TheWatchStander
    Options

NP, glad it helped!
  • brit1329
    Options

I agree, good analogy. Thank you.
  • TheWatchStander
    Options
    Dont be to critical of a post pregnancy body. Your body goes through an amazing transformation to support that child and it takes months for it to recover. Give it more time and stay strong and you will see the results.
  • brit1329
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I guess I just need to keep at it. I do know that I need to step it up a little with my exercising and eating better. Hopefully in the next 17 lbs I'll see a much bigger difference. I really feel like giving up sometimes because I feel like I'm failing at this, but you guys have made me feel better and feel like I'm not doing it wrong some how. I really appreciate it. Without this site I would have given up awhile ago.