Why I'm Doing this

Options
Week 1-5 lbs Down

So I completed my first week on MFP yesterday, and was down 5 lbs! Now, to be fair, my initial weigh-in was immediately following a weekend of drinking and eating too much, and flying (therefore water retention!). I know that next week will be a lot tougher. But still, it was nice to see the change on the scale!

I've told a few people that I'm on a "health and fitness kick", or that I'm tracking my calories and exercise, and some look at me like I'm crazy. But you know what I've already learned in 7 days? All I usually eat is carbs. It is incredibly eye-opening to see what I am actually putting in my body, and how it provides the fuel I need. In the past, I have gone through fitness kicks and gotten some decent muscle definition, and made a half-hearted attempt to "eat healthy", but I'm learning that without actually keeping a food journal I am way too tempted to lie to myself. Already in the past week I've eaten more balanced meals at home, loaded up on the protein to keep myself full, and packed snacks and meals so I'm less tempted to buy a cookie with my afternoon coffee. I'm not depriving myself of anything, I still went for beers on St Paddys day, and shared my order of 25cent wings with friends. But I did resist the pizza party for risk of blowing my entire day in one sitting. And my #1 trigger food, cookies are off limits - at least until I reach my goal :)

The reason I haven't quit yet (like I quit most fitness kicks - start Monday, quit Tuesday), is the awesome support that MFP provides. It's like Facebook for health! My MFP friends support me, give me a little push, and their success stories inspire me to create my own. I am a bit of a control freak, and my health is one thing I have never really been in control of, and yet is probably the most important element of my life. If I can achieve better lfiestyle choices, there is nothing to stop me from achieving all my goals!

Replies

• sheryllh79
    Options
    I've only been on this site a few days and I've noticed the food log quite helpful since I can see where I'm at with calories and the protein and stuff. Congrats on your decision to become more healthy!
  • ski3r4life
    ski3r4life Posts: 206
    Options
    Love this post! I totally relate.. and omgosh... I eat so much sugar and carbs! I love the emphasis on nutrition here!
  • eed_bookworm
    Options
    Now you're talking! The support of MFP friends is the best! I can hardly believe that I have logged in close to 70 days in a row! The food and exercise diary has been very helpful and revealing. It helps me plan ahead when I will be eating out and just generally keeps me on track better than if I try to write everything down.

I wish you continued motivation and success!
  • jenhasit
    jenhasit Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I agree with you about MFP being like FB. I love my new MFP friends, and find the support immeasurable. I even love that if I have some of my favorite foods (Swiss Chalet is my killer) that I can make healthier choices and not feel deprived.

You have a great attitude, and I'm glad you're here doing this. This site needs committed people to inspire and be inspired. Good luck!
  • melly28
    melly28 Posts: 26
    Options
    Way to go!! It's hard to choose to change how you eat and to be better for yourself, but it feels sooo great when you do!! Great job!
  • szimba
    szimba Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I completely agree!! I love this site cause the friends and forums make it addicting like facebook! It makes me feel accountable for myself by leaving my diary open for everyone to see and if I have a bad day everyone just eggs me on to do better tomorrow! Love it!