What is this "HRM" you speak of???

Options
I finally figured out what HRM was (heart rate monitor) but when I researched purchasing one I had not idea where to start. Any suggestions? Can you get one that monitors your heart rate, calories burned and keep up with your distance like a pedometer? I am in a whole new world with this one...where do I start? Help please!

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Amazon.com because you can get them at a decent price. There are a ton of different varieties depending on your level. I bought a Timex, Unisex watch with a chest strap about a month ago for around $40 and I like it. Just read the reviews and the descriptions to make sure it has what you are looking for. Some are made mostly for walking, others cater to a wider range of activities. I wouldn't get one that is too activity specific. Good luck!
  • marysimmons
    marysimmons Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I GOT ONE FROM WAL-MART ABOUT TWO MONTHS AGO.....IT HAS THE HEART RATE MONITOR THAT STRAPS AROUND YOUR CHEST AND THERE IS ALSO A WATCH...IT KEEPS TRACK OF EVERYTHING!! I PAID LIKE 65 FOR IT.....SO FAR SO GOOD. I DID HEAR THAT THERE ARE BETTER ONES OUT THERE LIKE THE POLARIS SO YOU JUST GOT TO DO YOUR RESEARCH. TARGET DOES SELL THE POLARIS ONES NOW I SAW THEM TODAY LIKE 100 BUCKS AND CUTE. BUT I LIKE MINE AND IT GETS THE JOB DONE!! GOOD LUCK!!
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Same here, found some on amazon and the best ones seem to be with the chest strap and either from Polar or Timex. I have 2 on my wish list right now, waiting for the price to drop :-)
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hairy Rhesus Monkey
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Polar seems to be a big brand everyone uses ... I personally have the Polar FT4 ... it monitors my beats and my calorie burn and I THINK the steps but honestly Im not sure because all I wanted was the calorie burn ... I got mine for $80 bucks at paragonsports.com but I recently saw it on the walmart website and Foot Locker website ....
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard on here most prefer the Polar brand of HRMs. Depending on how much you're willing to spend they have lots of different features.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have had both the watch and the one that straps around your chest! The one that straps around your chest is by far better because it is right next to your heart. As others mentioned do a search on amazon.com because you can read reviews.
  • mrsyatesy
    mrsyatesy Posts: 173
    Options
    Hi
    I have a Garmin FR60 which I love :heart:
    It has a foot pod for distance and cadence / breaks my runs down
    It has a watch / speedo etc. HR, cals burned, running, general or bike
    You can buy the bike pod if it's your thing (I dont have one)
    It has a chest strap too & a USB stick interface which allows me to see each workout I do and compare the results on my pc - yes I really am that obsessed with it!!
    I coudlnt love it more, I've had it nearly a year and it is easily my biggest motivator.
    :happy:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to advocate falling for hype of a product, but I ended up purchasing a Polar FT7 for the simplistic nature of its use. Plus it holds a lot of memory for keeping track of prior caloric expenditure. Also, I use the polarpersonaltrainer.com site to track specific burns. So now, I have 3 sites I use for tracking calorie burns, 2 of them include calorie intake, and 1 for social medium.
  • lovemyhellokitty
    lovemyhellokitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT60. I don't know what I would do without it! I absolutely love it! It measures everything! It even sets up a personal training program and tells you if you are working out too hard or not enough. It is a little costly but well worth every penny. If you can't afford that one, definitely go with one that comes with a chest strap. I had one that didn't come with a chest strap but with those you have to make sure you are constantly checking your heart rate and that can get difficult depending on the type of exercise you are doing :)
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Polar here too, an FT7
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    I have the Polar FT60. I don't know what I would do without it! I absolutely love it! It measures everything! It even sets up a personal training program and tells you if you are working out too hard or not enough. It is a little costly but well worth every penny. If you can't afford that one, definitely go with one that comes with a chest strap. I had one that didn't come with a chest strap but with those you have to make sure you are constantly checking your heart rate and that can get difficult depending on the type of exercise you are doing :)

A second vote for the FT60 - I also love mine and feel that while it was a little spendy it was worth every cent I spent and then some.
    It does NOT however track steps (in fact I'm not aware of ANY polar units that do) - but with either the G1 GPS add-on or the S1 footpod add-on it will track pace, speed, and distance when walking or running.
  • lovemyhellokitty
    lovemyhellokitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options

A second vote for the FT60 - I also love mine and feel that while it was a little spendy it was worth every cent I spent and then some.
    It does NOT however track steps (in fact I'm not aware of ANY polar units that do) - but with either the G1 GPS add-on or the S1 footpod add-on it will track pace, speed, and distance when walking or running.

that is true... forgot it doesn't track steps but if distance is what you are looking for, definitely invest in the GPS add-on :)
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    New Balance, Target, $65.
  • eb2012
    eb2012 Posts: 9
    Options
    Which one of the 3 do you think is most accurate?
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    HRM actually stands for...

H - Homeless
    R - Retired
    M - Muppets

Not sure why you think it stands for 'heart rate monitor'.

:devil:
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    Which one of the 3 do you think is most accurate?
    Read this blog entry - it's got a TON of great info regarding heart rate monitors.

(but to cut to the chase, Polar's higher end models and Suunto are good options)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • Time4AChng
    Time4AChng Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :happy: You all are AWESOME! I'll go to WALMART this weekend. I am so motivated with my workouts and from using this site I can hardly go a day without doing some type of exercise but I want to be sure I am counting my calories correctly. Don't want to overeat. I want to see some PROGRESS! Thanks again for your guidance.
  • nlhawthorne
    Options
    Just another Polar FT7 user putting in my two cents. Really easy to use - absolutely love it.
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    I purchased my Polar FT60 about an hour ago ;)

it came with the GPS..for $180 at best Buy....( I paid less due to my best Buy rewards)

now that Daylight Savings Time is in effect I can go for walk-runs after work & track my progress....