how do i break the cycle of fasting and binging?

Options
i am having the hardest time. i know it should be easy to just eat normally, but i just feel like i can't do it. i've had a horrible week - i keep overeating, and then feeling guilty and eating nothing the next day, and then being so faint and hungry on the third day that i give in and eat a ton. it's the guilt, really, that keeps me bouncing back and forth between extremes, and i feel horrible physically and emotionally. i know all the health risks, and i know that ultimately starving myself slows down my metabolism and doesn't get me any closer to my goal weight. but i have been trying to lose the same 20 pounds for five years now, and it's really starting to feel hopeless.

i probably deserve criticism for this, but i would really appreciate gentle responses. i haven't told anyone in real life, and i even feel a little iffy about posting it anonymously on the internet. thank you guys for being there!

Replies

• barberella
    barberella Posts: 199
    Options
    Awwww...so sorry to hear that. That is totally understandable how you can get into that cycle. I'm sure you are very aware of the health risks just by how you feel..
  • Towbin
    Towbin Posts: 2
    Options
    I think it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking our particular problem is insurmountable.... but I've always found that no matter what the task at hand is, small steps are always best. If you set yourself one small goal to focus on, such as eating breakfast, then doing it consistently for a week, then adding another goal (such as eating X for breakfast, or walking after lunch), that you are more prone to succeeding. It's that small foundation of success that allows us to move on to the next step.

Good luck!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    I have no definitive answers, but here are some common problems that cause this:

1. You HAVE to eat breakfast. :-) You don't and you'll be out of whack all day. You're sugar levels will fluctuate causing you to be moody and stressed and when you eventually DO get hungry you'll eat everything in site and focus on the carbs.

2. Drink more water.

3. Exercise regularly. It will alleviate stress that makes people "comfort eat" and it will give you a more regular appetite.

*hugs*

That you're complaining about your habit is good. It means you are getting sick of it. :-)
  • halfashadow
    Options
    such good advice, i'll definitely take everything you guys said into account. baby steps, right? thanks so much for the support :) good luck to all of you! <3