Depo shot craziness!!

Options
ok so i have been on this form of birth control for about 7 months. i havent gained weight but im having trouble losing more now. Plus i have been exhausted even when i go to bed like at 12am i wont get out bed until 10am n i just want to lay in bed all the time. i also have crazy mood swings and times were i have trouble sleeping too its craziness also no sex drive and that really sux!! so my plan is to get off of it but im wondering if any other ladies out there experienced this and when they got off snapped back to normallcy. its freaking frustrating i just want to know if getting off this drug will help!

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I went crazy on depo!! I had my period for almost the entire 3 months, was PMSing the entire 3 months and my hair started falling out. I couldn't control my emotions at all. Wasn't good for me.
  • gagejennifer
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel !. That's one reason why I'm trying to lose weight !. That and I'm on one other medication (for seizures) that states that weight gain is a side effect. That drives me nuts !. So I know where you're coming from !.

Jennifer
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I gained a LOT of weight when I was on Depo after I had my son (he's 16 now). My dr at the time told me it would take a year for my body to expel all the birth control out of my system. I stopped getting the injections and switched to the pill a couple months later.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I used it and it was HELL. It made me so depressed I couldn't even function. I only did one shot, but it took the full 3 months before I started feeling (sort of) like myself again. It was horrible and I would NEVER take it again! Sorry you're having to deal with it. :cry:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I had those symptoms when I was put onto Paxil (an antidepressant). I am not sure of any similarities (if there are any) between the shot and Paxil, but it sounds like you are just having a bit of a bad reaction to it. Please bring it up to your doctor and ask them how long it takes to 'normalize' after you noticed changes. If you don't fit the normalization, then getting off it is a good idea. Mood swings and fatigue are NO FUN :(

It is possible that you are missing something in your diet, as well. Something like you are eating a little less? or less protein or vitamins maybe? Your body sounds like it is crying out for something, but I can't say what it is.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The depo shot is E.V.I.L.!!! haha I was on it a long time ago and it seriously screwed with me! I had weird mood swings, and all I wanted to do was eat! I remember thinking "How can I still be hungry?" while shoveling more and more food into me. That is how I gained most of my weight. I know I'm to blame too, but I would NEVER EVER recommend the depo shot to anyone!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Try the Nuva Ring. It's excellent.
  • DeeDeeMarie
    Options
    i have been on the depo for...wait for it.... 11 years and i love it. There has been a shot or two that I have missed and had to wait for my period to go back on it and i gained weight when i got off it... i absolutely love the depo... bc i have been on it for so long chances are I wont be able to conceive but ive never wanted children so there is no negative side effects for me, but maybe i am one of the only lucky ones.... good luck with whatever you decide to do and hope it works for you love.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thats why I'm on MFP. I gained all my weight on the shot. I have the paraguard IUD right now, no hormones and it lasts 10 years.
  • melissatacker
    melissatacker Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was on Depo for over 4 years and I gained over 100 lbs...the only upside was not having a period all that time :) Also it took a couple years of being off of it to get pregnant. I recommend finding another birth control unless those things won't bother you.
  • arfdemob5
    arfdemob5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was on it for quite a while. I gained weight, had depression, mood swings..but I had no period...so that part I liked! LOL But they tell you it can take a year after you've been on it to have cycles again....FAIL. I missed one shot and ba bam I was pregnant! So make sure when you come off you have a back up plan! Fortunately I came off it to get pregnant so I wasnt upset..except that I was hoping to try just a little first! LOL
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I have not done depo but loestrin and ortho tri cyclen made me have crazy, raging mood swings...trying beyz now and will talk to my accupuncturist about what to do next if I continue to have hormonal issues that extreme
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I took it when I was younger and it was great although it took 2 years after getting off the shot to get pregnant! grrrrr So after our second baby I decided to get on it bc the mirena wasn't covered by insurance (we don't want anymore) and I gained 40 pounds in 3 months!!!!!! Now I have been off for about 6 months and cant lose the weight. I have dropped like 15 of the pounds but still! So frustrating! I hope you get yours all figured out!
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Try the Nuva Ring. It's excellent.
    On that now and I love it!!!
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Oh Depo is horrible! When I got a new gyno he REFUSED to continue me with the shot and suggested I try Nuva Ring. I tried it for a while but it kept falling out ;-0 Only thing that worked for me was a vasectomy (for my husband of course ;-)
  • Life0nMars86
    Life0nMars86 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This is very sad, I was gonna actually make a post and ask about Depo today cuz I'm trying to find another BC cuz mainly I'm horrible at remembering to take the pill, plus I have like no sex drive on it. But my doctor told me that the average woman gains 5 lbs a year on it and it causes hair loss and acne in many ppl along with other crap. I don't know what else to try...sigh....but yeah she also told me that it could take 12-14 months after u stop it for the side effects to wear off and everything to get out of ur system :frown: sorry u gotta go thru that...
  • sublimechik28
    sublimechik28 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    hmm the nuva ring sounds good or IUD. just dont want pills i forget to take them. and nothing that messes with my head im already crazy on my own lol
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I used the nuva ring for 7 years. I loved every aspect of it. This is my first day of my first month without it. I am hoping the pill (the one that starts with an L... can't remember) won't change my moods or anything. I only stopped with nuva because of the price.
  • fatkid23
    fatkid23 Posts: 2
    Options
    I hate this depo. I had taken it before and didn't get the shot in about 7 months. Well my hubby is coming home from deployment so I decided to take it again. The first time i took it I had no side effects just gained 2pounds. Now that I just got it i get all the side effects. I can't sleep, my legs cramp, I'm nauseous and I crave so much food. I do have mood swings also. This sucks and i just got the shot two days ago! I just hope I can control the appetite increase.