Couch to 5k

Options
Is anyone currently doing this? Has any one completed it? What are your thoughts on it? I am thinking about adding to to my work out routine. Running has never been my thing so I think it will be a good challenge for me.

Replies

• Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    Yep and Yep :) Graduated back in July but didn't run in an actual 5K race just finished the program. Doing it again now because I have a 5K next weekend! Excellent way to build up to running and running reshapes me like nothing else. I also recommend using the free podcasts on Itunes if you have an Ipod. Good luck :)
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing it,only nearing the end of week 1,so I have not really been following it properly and have been doing it 3 days in a row,plan to stop after Friday,then start week 2 on Monday. :D

Its good,the first week jogs are easy and very brief then it slowly builds you up,and its even better if you have music or a podcast that tells you what to do,as I have. :D
  • kerryannk
    kerryannk Posts: 148
    Options
    i'm starting tomorrow! im really excited, and ive never been a runner either. i found this really cool link of the c25k page, its for podrunner. they're mixes that you can add to any mp3 player that match the beat of your pace.

the site is http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html . if its not your type of music, i think they offer other things like that on the web.

were you interested in signing up for a 5k, too? you should!
  • fancytx
    fancytx Posts: 1
    Options
    I did it! I went from not being able to run 90 seconds at a time to running 30 minutes or more at at time. I still use running as my main form of exercise three times a week.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I'm wrapping-up Week 2 now, and loving it so far. I'm not a runner, and never imagined enjoying it. This program eases you into it, and feels great! I may only be running/walking for 30 minutes, but I feel much more "worked" and energized afterward than I do after doing the elliptical for the same amount of time.

I HIGHLY recommend downloading the podcasts to an iPod or mp3 player -- makes a huge difference. Allows you to concentrate on what you're doing and not on the clock. Just Google "c25k podcasts". There are different versions. I like Ullrey (http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/files/category-7.html) and the NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx) podcasts, myself.
  • KellyEsparza
    Options
    I was NEVER a runner. I absolutely hated running but I knew it would be good for me if I could get myself started somehow. The couch to 5k worked for me so I think it can work for you too! Just stick to it - follow it to the T and you will be successful. Last year I ran 3 5k's. I am doing at least 2 this summer and possibly working up to a 10k in September. Since I started myfitnesspal 2 months ago I have been working running into my exercise routine at least 2 to 3 times a week and I never could have if I hadn't started with that program last year.
  • KellyEsparza
    Options
    Oh and I recommend signing up for at least 1 5k. i found that when I did that it motivated me even more to stick with it...
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Try use this training method from Jeff Galloway (former American Olympian, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Galloway)

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html

I'm doing a 3.5 miles in May, and I have just about a little over 2 month to do my training too. Good luck to you.
  • twentysixpointtwo
    Options
    I LOVE C25K-I have done it before along with the bridge to 10K... I'm doing it again since I took a few months off after having surgery. I think it's a great program because it really gives you a base. A lot of people (me and my sister included) want to start running and over do it or can't go very far... the next day they are sore, tired, etc. This program builds you up slowly and with that when you are finished you can keep building or run for 30 minutes whenever you want! I had a stress fracture once from training too far too fast. I was also taking Motrin like candy because my knees were killing me... I haven't had any problems like that with the C25K or 10K bridge...

I have a 5K in 4 weeks I'm currently training for, but did a 10 mile, 1/2 and full marathon in 2009. I have done a few 5 and 10K's since then but had gained weight in the interim and then the surgery I previously mentioned... Good luck! Take it slow, whatever program you choose, don't try to increase your mileage more than 10% a week--that will help prevent injury...
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I just started week 2 yesterday! So far so good, I'm hoping to run at least one 5k this spring/summer. If you never liked running, but have always wanted to run, I think this is a good way to get into it.
  • Alice37
    Alice37 Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm starting it this weekend. Really looking forward to it! I've not run for ages but I love it when I do!! :love:
  • bambee2013
    bambee2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I only lasted two weeks. If is the same workout I printed it on the wall near my treadmill. What I like about it is you can get a good workout fast and you are training for a 5k at the same time. If you are willing to try it, I can start again. It looks like we have the same weight loss goals.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started in late December, and finished about a month ago. I ran my first race on Sunday... 4.5 miles in 46:34. :smile:

My first 5k is this Saturday. I hope to do even better.
  • Ver2
    Ver2 Posts: 37
    Options
    Yep, when I started I could barely run a tenth of a mile, now I can run 5.5 miles straight (an hour). I have NEVER been a runner so it definitely works. After the third week though I kind if went my own way and graduated about two weeks earlier Than just 3x a week. Just dont run if your body is crazy sore and when you do run, push yourself harder a little kore everytime. I actually went from running 20 mins to 30 then 45 to 60 because I realized that no matter when I stopped, I'd feel the same anyway so may as well go for longer and be proud of myself!
  • TahsiaFriedman
    Options
    I'm on Week 4 and I absolutely LOVE IT! I wasn't a runner either and I had bad knees, but you know what, running is the best thing for your knees. And trust me, your mind will play tricks on you.....it will tell you that you can't do it or you can't run any longer, but you have to tune in to your body. Feel it out. You'll be amazed at how far you can push your body.
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did day 1 week 1 today. Run for 60 walk for 90! I was surprised that I was actually able to make it the entire 25 or so minutes. I am going to stick with it! It was a challenge but I enjoyed it!
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    I have finished week 1 and I think I am going to stay at week one for another week. It is still cold and rainy here so I have only been able to do it on the treadmill. I walk at 3.5 and run at 6 and I want to be able to do it without getting to winded before I move on.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was Saturday, and I finished in 29:42!!! I'm soooo happy about that. It was cold, windy and hilly, and I still did great. :smile: