In a funk??

Options
I think we all have moments where we just feel like we're in a funk and staying on task everyday (keeping up the diary, exercising) begins to become this overwhelming thing to accomplish and all ya want to do is EAT and exercise is the last thing on your mind. When you feel like this, what do you do to help you snap out of it? Any ideas? :frown:

Replies

• jules0516
    jules0516 Posts: 158
    Options
    When I started this journey, I wrote a letter to myself-explaining why I needed this..then I put it on my fridge where I'd see it every time I went there. I also look at the rare pics of myself with the weight..then I remember why I have to do this. Good Luck!
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    i really kick myself in the pants. i was in a very bad one last week and then i realized that i have been tired of feeling tired and rundown and want to be able to run and enjoy life again....i feel 17 in my mind...want my body too feel the same. i talk about it on here and now i am back on track. i hope it works out for you!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Bump - I'll be interested in the responses to this. I struggle with funks from time to time.

I do like the idea of writing a letter to myself.
  • awilliams0209
    awilliams0209 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think we all do have those moments where you just don't want to do it. Otherwise, I don't think that any of us would be here. But, all I have to do is look around and feel thankful for all that I have been given. I don't want to miss one day with my amazing family and my incredible husband because I was too tired or lazy to get moving. If losing 60 pounds gives me one more day with everyone I love, then, it was worth all the work.
  • jules0516
    jules0516 Posts: 158
    Options
    Bump - I'll be interested in the responses to this. I struggle with funks from time to time.

I do like the idea of writing a letter to myself.

The letter was tough for me..it was really honest- I think I cried for about 10 mins when I re-read it. Kind of cleansing too
  • bethymay123
    Options
    I turn to my friends here to motivate me.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    i make checklists for everything and start with the easy stuff. its so easy for me to feel lost and wander around my apartment trying to remember all the things i should do if i don't. i use this program called evernote (its free) and its AMAZING for making check lists and remembering everything i need to do, both short and long term!
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    I feel like giving up on nearly a daily basis. I'm wondering when it will end, it can't be like this forever, can it? I usually feel it in the early stages of my workouts, when I'm watching the seconds tick by far too slowly and I'm starting to feel sweaty and achy.

What do I do? I look around the gym and see all the beautiful bodies that I admire, and I want to be like them. I see other people struggling with their workouts, but they keep going. I close my eyes and imagine myself thinner and healthier, looking fabulous on my husband's arm, wearing a sundress or tank top with no shame. I imagine myself competing in Warrior Dash and kicking butt! I think back to my early workouts and feel the strength in my body that wasn't there 2 months ago. I look down at my feet and see ANKLES - nice, shaply ankles! I think about all the years I wasted being morbidly obese, neglecting and abusing the one and only body I will ever have, and I want that time BACK, I want it back so I can spend it with my kids, my mom, my siblings, my husband, my loving friends...

The way I see it - failure is not an option this time, and I've come too far to give up now!

And - I love the idea of writing a letter, very powerful!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I take a day and eat what I want and lay on the couch... and the next morning when I can't wake up, and feel heavy and gross... I'm not so tempted anymore and remember exactly why i started this new lifestyle in the first place!

Good Luck getting out of your funk!
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have to constantly re-motivate myself, it's part of the process. The first 2 weeks of eating healthy (without ANY cheating) was really hard, I was constantly hungry and had cravings. After not giving in to those cravings I got past it fairly easy, and now I can't eat a whole lot because my tummy shrunk to the size it should be. lol I have inspirational quotes plastered on my fridge and I constantly watch Heavy, I Used to be Fat & Ruby- they motivate me a lot. Some days are easier than others, but the key is to never take your eyes off the prize. I made a bucket list of the things I want to do once I lose enough weight and it keeps me very excited for the future and if I keep up my healthy eating & exercise. I highly suggest finding a challenge with others on here and work towards a certain goal so it's not so mundane. :) Good luck!
  • MAK_01
    MAK_01 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    When get down on myself I reach out to my awsome MFP pals - like you :) u have helped me pull myself up!
    When the big goal seems to far fetched I just slow it down and take 1 day. Last week I was thinking how can I loose a hundred pounds... And I was really getting down. But I made myself stop and think let's just get through today. One snack, one meal, one choice at a time. It has helped to not think about logging food everyday fir the rest of my life. I just think log one more snack, one more lunch, one more day, one more week.
    Honestly when I started I wrote in my blog I didn't think this would last long at all. Figured it would be a fad that I would be over in a week tops! But I just hit 80 days. Hope this helps a little :)
  • Soopermomma
    Soopermomma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well, when I'm in a funk I search the cable for comedians to watch while I fold laundry or I put on music and dance while I work my blues away. And the last thing, ok, don't laugh...I make faces at myself in the mirror; like 1/4 smile, half smile, FULL. lol It's hard to take yourself too seriously when you are being silly.

When I had my head and back injury 13 years ago, I was on the brace board and I remember calling out, " Nurse, I can't feel my legs."
    A man in the next cubicle yelled out, " At least, you got legs!
    He had none.
    From then on, when things are really tough I say to myself, "At least, I got legs."
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas and I appreciate so much that you took time out to tell us what works for you! I think I'll try that letter writing idea also. Loved all the great ideas! Just knowing you all care about me ( those of you who know me ) has made a huge difference for me today....Thank you!