Finally getting serious!!

Options
MissDwood
MissDwood Posts: 108 Member
Hello everyone. I am 20 years old and weigh in at 233lbs. For the longest time I ignored my constant weight gain ever since I stopped playing sports in high school and put on my "freshman 15" which then turned into another "sophmore 30" and so forth. Im finally stepping up to the plate and admitting that I have gained almost 60lbs since I've entered college. At first I made excuses about how regular exercise was boring and isn't as fun as basketball where I was burning anywhere between 5,00-10,000 calories a week including games, tournaments, and two a day practices. But now I have noticed that I do not want to go out anymore because I do not like the way I look and I'm even getting tired from walking up the stairs and horesplaying with my boyfriend. So today is the day that I decide to commit to becoming healthier. I look forward to chatting with you all and sharing some tips. I am a chocolate queen! I love every type of chocolate their is so if anyone has any tips for that please let me know :)

Replies

• ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hi MissDwood, Welcome and let's get serious. I love chocolate too and it has been very difficult resisting it but Ihave done it for about 4 weeks and you can do it. Every time I get tempted I remember how long it took me to burn and that is how I stayed away. Good luck and let's do it.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I had the same thing happen to me...I didn't realize how playing and gym and marching band was actually keeping me fit. My freshman 15 turned out to be a lot more too. If you want support, feel free to add me as a friend. :happy:
  • Risabamfo
    Risabamfo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I weigh about the same as you and also gained about the same through college. But, I joined MFP and have lost 8.5lbs in 2 weeks! My advice is to stay connected and log on everyday. It really helps keep me motivated. Good Luck!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    hi welcome and gd luck, chocoholic here, but am avoiding it big time, cause i cant eat it in moderation lol:flowerforyou:
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    Welcome to the Fitnesspal family! I love this site!!! Add friends and log in even on the rough days!!! If you need some friends feel free to add me! I love seeing how many calories people burn in their workouts and getting to peak at people's food diaries, it helps get healthy ideas!!! Can't wait to see you in a few months!!! Have a wonderful Wednesday night!!!
    ~Corina
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Don't be embarrassed about you now, you are still YOU!

However, if you want to get back to the body you are happy with, then get hooked on MFP.

At first it will seem difficult, but honestly, when the weight starts going you'll get addicted, in a good way.

I tried every diet in the book but never had the support from people...the support makes a LOT of difference.

You can do this, I'm in the middle of doing this, and I'm here for the long run :wink:

Feel free to add me as a friend.

Natalie
  • ali0320
    ali0320 Posts: 3
    Options
    Welcome! I am finally getting serious too! I started yesterday making sure I logged EVERYTHING I ate. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can help each other along on this journey!! :)
  • jen2bthin78
    Options
    Good for you !!! i'm proud of you!!! This is definitely the place to be!!! I love it here!!! everyone here is so supportive and I've only been here for a few days!!!:bigsmile:
  • MissDwood
    MissDwood Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    OMG thank you all for your support!! I really do feel like will be an awesome support system and can already feel the love from all of u! I've already sent many of you friend request! Im going to try to log my foods for the next 5 days straight!
    -Danielle :)
  • missygail
    missygail Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, MissDwood,

I can relate to your situation somewhat. I was never very athletic but I was fairly thin for my teen years. I gained my weight after getting married and having children. Though really my weight gain wasn't that bad at that time, not until I got divorced and I quit smoking.

Suddenly the scales just kept moving up and up. I didn't really realize that I'd gained the weight until a family member mentioned my clothes getting too small. I've spent a lot of time making excuses, saying that I didn't want to workout because it's just to hard saying that I was just a 'normal' big person.... etc. I had the whole list.

At the start of this year, I notice I had gotten to 264 lbs. This is more than I weighed each three times I was pregnant with my kids. I decided I was tired of being this big.

I feel the same, I don't want to go out because of my weight. Doing things with my kids leave me winded and I find that I end up ending relationships because I feel uncomfortable when things turn intimate.

I've been trying this since January and I've lost 12 pounds thus far. I'm going a bit slower than some, I know. I get distracted and discouraged from time to time, but I know it's just as easy to climb back on the wagon as it was to hop off.

I think the best advice is like they do in AA take it one day at a time. Don't focus on the past, merely today and your future. We will all have a brighter future when we reach our goals.

Just 10 pounds of weight loss can result in a greater than 50% risk reduction for heart attacks, or so says my soon to be nurse sister. I googled and found a website that supports her claims and gives 9 more reasons to lose ten pounds, then imagine all of those ten pounds we lose once we reach our goals.

http://just10lbs.com/10-reasons-to-lose-just-10-lbs

I'm there for you. You can do it... We can both do it!!