Help me!

Options
So I've been going to the gym off and on since September of 2010. Well off and on really.

What I have been doing is mostly the treadmill and the elliptical. I usually burn anywhere from 600-700 calories when I have gone.

But my question is, what exercises can I do to get rid of the mid section? That seems the biggest problem area thus far. I keep reading cardio helps, but is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for your input =):laugh:

Replies

• bethany675
    bethany675 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ha, Ha, Ha....I think thought this was the biggest joke going on me! I'm glad I'm not alone in this battle. I have been doing 60 minutes of cardio 6 days a week, and have yet to notice a midsection change. My bottom has gotten smaller and so has my chest.....I'm hoping that soon enough the additional 30 minutes of weights & abs I do daily will start to shine through. I have been at this schedule since first of January. I'm going to give it 6 months of committment and hope that I will fit into that bikini......Good luck to you!
  • robinmackenzie
    Options
    Hay.
    It sounds like you need to do some Core muscle training, sit ups, stomach crunches etc. It would be benficial for you to maybe look up some ab and mid section routines online. keep in mind everyone is different and you may not be able to do every exercise but find one that suits your routine and lifestyle. Good luck! :)
  • mowrynation
    Options
    Ab exercises are good. I have found that I lost many inches off of my mid section from detoxing. When our bodies are exposed to toxins either in the environment, or our food, (hormones given to the animals we eat, or sprays on the veggies and fruits) etc, these toxins are in our bodies and attach to fat cells, They are then pulled away from our organs and usually end up in the mid section.
    I can send you a pdf with the information that I have been following if you would like.
    All the Best
    Gail
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Planks are awesome for working your core muscles. Also there are a lot of pilates moves that work them too. :)
    Crunches are good too if you are doing them correctly. I tend to do 5 or 6 different kinds with my legs in various positions.

My favorite is laying on your back on a workout bench. Hold your arms parallel to your body, your fingers pointing to your toes. When you sit up to crunch, you reach your arms out and bring your knees inward towards your chest. Your arms should be on the outside of each leg. Then you return to laying down, and that counts as one. :)

I hope that description was okay. I suck at stuff like that. :)
  • seemae
    seemae Posts: 38
    Options
    I've read that your midsection is one of the last places you lose weight from (and your chest is one of the first). There isn't an exercise that'll guarantee you'll lose weight from your midsection but you can do abdominal exercises to tone it (which would most likely help).

I don't do anything other than cardio myself so I don't have any in particular to suggest but Google led me to here:
    http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises.htm

Looks like a good place to start, hope that helps c:
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    That's great! And hey, if I lose in the chest section thats ok too. I can afford to have them go smaller (less back pain >.<)
  • Patecakers
    Options
    unfortunately there aren't any exercises that target any particular muscles in the mid section...if you have a gym membership check and see if there are any personal trainers on staff...usually they are happy to give you some ideas on where to start and you might find yourself purchasing an hour of their time here and there to keep up with your level of fitness and maintain your goals! My personal trainer was absolutely wonderful and she showed me how to properly use the equipment so it took all the guesswork out of it for me!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
    KEEP FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT!
  • dixiechicdana
    Options
    I'm with Robin on this. You need core work to start firming muscles in the mid section.
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Another important part of the equation is nutrition. Here's some info I posted on burning the belly fat...good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/197310-big-tip-on-how-to-lose-belly-fat
  • BirdJean
    BirdJean Posts: 3
    Options
    Really? I need to detox then and undo the prednisone damage to my midsection. Thanks Sis!
  • mistybabe
    Options
    What's a good way to detox???