Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Sodium Intake

Good evening...

My weight loss journey began (again) at the beginning of the year. I started at 170 with a goal of reaching 145. I got down to 161. Now I seem to fluctuate between 161-165 on any given day. Although my choices are not perfect, I am eating 100% better than I did in the time that resulted in my 170 pounds. After reading through a lot of great posts and even greater responses, I have to wonder if sodium is the culprit? How does one determine the ideal amount of sodium intake?

Thanks in advance for reading & replying! :)

Replies

• lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    My sodium has been a struggle for me and I have tweeked it over the last week and I am seeing it get better. I increased my water also to try to flush out some of the sodium. I am trying to make sure that I do not rely on packaged foods because the salt is so high. I used the reports on here to help me figure just how much I was taking in and started to track it.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Interesting side note: If your sodium levels are too high and you're retaining water because of it that means less water is making it's way to your intestines...causing constipation, bloating and probably a pound or so of excrement added to the scales.

Also, if the poo is just sitting there I'm pretty sure your body reabsorbs at least a small amount of waste. Not good. :-/
  • ShelleyBowman
    ShelleyBowman Posts: 54 Member
    WOW! First of all, thanks DG & Juice for responding! UPDATE: I just went into my diary and looked at the printable report which I see tracks A LOT more! INSANE! On an average... I have been consuming 2500-3000 mg of sodium daily! I even have a few days that were upwards of 4000! Ugh! OMG! I'm gonna have a heart attack! Literally! :( In my defense though, in the last week or two, I've been down to 700-1000 mg which is a HUGE improvement. I still don't know how to figure out "ideal".
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    In the past, people were alloted 2500mg of sodium. In today's standard it's recommended to have 1500 mg's with a max of 2300mg according to the National Academy of Sciences.

Also, another thing you should look at is your suger/carb intake. if you eat a lot of fruits, it will stop or slow down your weight loss progress.