Cereal???

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for healthy cereal that does not have a ton of sugar and doesn't cost $5 a box!

Replies

• penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Cheerios! Add any fruit you would like Strawberries, bananas, blueberries you get the idea!
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    Kix is reasonably priced and low in sugar.
  • smcclaycouffer
    smcclaycouffer Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I really like Special K Fruit n Yogurt w/2% sugar is 10g
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I shop at Aldi... I get Granola Raisin Bran, or Shredded Mini Wheats, or Low-Fat Granola with Raisins... they are yummy, filling and under $2 per box.
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    Multigrain cheerios or cheerios...you can both in store brand.
    Our Walmart carries puffed wheat and rice in $1.00 bags that are really good too. I buy both and mix them together. YUM.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I love cheerios with a cut up banana.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Hot cereal are inexpensive -- oatmeal, etc. -- especially if do not buy the individual packs (which are higher in sugar anyway)

Besides that, my favorite is Honey Nut Cheerios (or the generic equivalent). Regular Cheerios, bran flakes (add your own raisins or fruit), or Quaker Oatmeal Squares are other favorites of mine that are not loaded with sugar. It saves money to buy generic OR to combine a sale with a coupon (go to coupons.com for manufacturer's coupons as well as check your local grocery store's website for store coupons -- many stores will take both a manufacturer's coupon AND a store coupon for the same item).
  • turnerl79
    turnerl79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just a tip, when you eat cereal, make sure you measure based on the recommended serving size. Generally, people tend to eat about 1.5 or 2x the recommended amounts.

Cheerios -plain has 20g's of sugar per 1 cup (this was one of my addictions). It is low in calories which is good just watching your sugar intake later in the day. You are better off with eggs or oatmeal than ceral.
  • chrysnel
    chrysnel Posts: 78
    Options
    Yep - gotta agree with oatmeal! Try steel cut oats - they are a little chewier and more filling. You can do so much with a huge bag of plain oatmeal - there are literally hundreds of options!
  • ian191
    ian191 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Special K Chocolatey Delight is okay, but recently I have been eating Total Honey Almond Flax by General Mills which only has 13g of sugar, and pretty much 100% of every vitamin you can think of. It is a very sweet tasting cereal too... If you have a Costco membership you can get a box of two bags for $6.99, much cheaper than other stores where a box costs about $3.45 and it is somewhat smaller as well than that of the Costco one ;)

I used to love the Special K Chocolate stuff, but then I found out that for only 40 more calories you get lots of vitamins Special K doesn't provide.

You can see all the nutritional info here: http://www.totalcereal.com/honey-almond-flax.aspx
  • MissDwood
    MissDwood Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I usually eat Special K Fruit and yogurt or chocolate delight, but as I am logging my foods I've realized that my sugar intake is too high! Because I love sweets I'm trying to cut down my sugar in the cereal area, because I don't think I could live without that fudge bar once a day lol
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I love Multigrain cheerios. I never get enough iron and they have 100%. I do the recommended serving and add some fresh fruit. YUM! You can also get a coupon from the coupon websites. Target has them for 2 for 5.00 and if you use a coupon, you are getting it for 1.25.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Corn Chex with 1 or 2 table spoons of cinnamon!
  • smcclaycouffer
    smcclaycouffer Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Corn Chex with 1 or 2 table spoons of cinnamon!

That actually sounds really good I might have to try that!!
  • Simone1970
    Options
    I buy the grocery store brand of Frosted Mini Wheats. It costs about $2 a box and tastes the same as the name brands in my opinion. I add a banana to my bowl of cereal and use 1% milk. It is delish! And will fill you up because of the high fiber in the meal. Hope you like!

Simone
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Plain old fashioned oatmeal. It is super cheap, super healthy, and a bag lasts forever! ( you only use 1/3 cup at a time)
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Special K Vanilla Almond. I have it every night. It's my crack. But the box is usually 5 bucks (I'm in Brooklyn if that makes a difference).
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    Thats my favorite.
    I really like Special K Fruit n Yogurt w/2% sugar is 10g
  • ActiveFaith10
    ActiveFaith10 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    @rubie881 Hmm I'd say a lot of the Kashi cereals like go lean original (not crunch!) ... mini wheats.. But,oatmeal (plain) with a dash of cinnamon is always good and filling! or whole wheat english muffin with an egg and spinach is also a good choice, more natural foods are always better than fortified!