anyone tried....

Options
I was just wondering if anyone has used the weight loss drug Adipex. My doctor suggested it to me and I am considering using it to get a "jumpstart". Just wondered if any of you have had success or failures with it.

Replies

• sleight119
    sleight119 Posts: 125
    Options
    I have used it in the past and I did lose some but it makes me jumpy and dry mouth its like any other diet pill it slows hunger and makes you unable to just sit
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    You may want to do some research and really read up on it before you make the decision to use it. It has so many side affects, and very costly. It is also known to be highly addictive.

Have you tried other alternatives like combining strength training with your cardio and better diet? The strength training really helped me get over my hump and i have more natural energy now.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    IMHO, the thing that we forget the most is that the strength to succeed isn't found outside of ourselves (like in a pill) it's always within ourselves.

You don't need a pill to jumpstart your weight loss.

You just need a sound program of healthy whole foods and daily exercise. You don't have to suffer by starving or working yourself to exhaustion.

Patience is key for lasting results.

Best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • rlampton
    rlampton Posts: 10
    Options
    I wish I could find a Dr. to prescribe it for me! I used it years ago and lost 40 lbs! It's the ONLY diet drug I've ever used that actually worked for me. BUT...it does have side effects. Check into it.
  • cloudbownd
    Options
    I used it about 2.5 years ago and I loved it. In the beginning it made me a little bit jittery (like I had drank too much coffee), but after a week, I must have become accostumed to it and did not have that feeling anymore. It helped decrease my appetite. I then, used that time to learn more about food options, calorie counting, various nutrients, etc. When I stopped taking it, my stomach had "shrunk" so I felt full faster and was able to continue with the healthy food choices I had learned to make. Now, looking at the longterm.... when I stopped taking it, I kept the weight off and lost some additional. However, about 6 months later, I did start gaining some back. I don't blame this on the pill, rather stress. I just had so much going on in my life that I stopped caring about what I ate or whether or not I worked out. There are side effects, like any drug. I recommend doing research on anything you put in your body. Everyone's body reacts differently to things. I disagree with ppl who think prescription diet aids are "the easy way out" or "cheating". It is a shorterm aide to help you carry out the the health goals you have set when you are having trouble doing it on your own.