“Self Compassion” Could Be The Key to Weight Loss

Options
You’re probably nicer to your family and friends than you are to yourself! That’s the basis of a new kind of psychology called self-compassion, which suggests that giving yourself a break, and accepting your imperfections may be the first step toward better health. That’s tough in a culture where most people believe that self-criticism is what keeps us in line.

Researchers were surprised to discover that those who find it easy to be supportive and understanding to others often score very low on self-compassion tests, and consider themselves “failures.” A study at the University of Texas found that people who score high on tests of self-compassion tend to be less depressed and anxious. They also tend to be more optimistic and happy. Look at it this way: If your kid was struggling in school, you get them a tutor. Even if they’d rather eat ice cream for dinner, you serve chicken. When you’re the person who’s struggling at work, or overeating – you’re more likely to fall into a self-criticism and negativity rut, which leaves you feeling even less motivated to change. So, how can you break the negativity cycle?

First, make a list of your best traits. You could probably rattle off your negative traits without much thought, but the more you appreciate the positive things about yourself, the healthier you’ll be.

Also: Give yourself “compassion breaks.” In other words, don’t feel like a failure if you fall off the diet wagon, or make a mistake at work. Instead, try something positive, like, “I’m only human. I’m not going to beat myself up over this. I’ll do better tomorrow.”

If this sounds too warm and fuzzy, there’s science to back it up. Being more compassionate toward yourself can help you lose weight. In a study, participants were asked to sample candy. Researchers told half the participants that everyone in the study was eating junk food, so they shouldn’t feel bad about eating it. The result: Those who were reassured gave themselves permission to eat, and ate less, while those who got no reassuring message ate more. Why? They felt guilty about eating junk food, so they ate more trying to make themselves feel better inside.

Replies

• MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic post, and I can vouch that "self compassion" is a major part of making your lifestyle change successful and positive.
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    LOVE - LOVE - LOVE THIS!!!
    This is exactly right - we need to hug ourselves and be much kinder and understanding to ourselves........
    Thank you for posting this!
  • starace
    starace Posts: 11
    Options
    I am living proof of this. Once upon a time, I was a sweet person, who freely gave love to everybody, but always at the expense of myself. Sounds beautiful and benign, but I really didn't love myself.:( It was almost as if trying to love others so much gave meaning to my life, because my life itself was not worth much. Self-sacrifice gone wrong. My life got stagnant due to this. After I firmly decided to change and start loving myself, THEN my lifestyle improved until this day (still getting better! One can always improve something.) :) Lost weight, started to take care of myself, became who I really wanted to be. But first I had to decide that I was worth all the work: that I was a beautiful human, worthy of my own love, much as I loved others. Couldn't be happier today. There's much more work to be done in this life for me, and I haven't reached all my dreams, but one thing is for sure: my life now is better than ever!

So love yourselves, and treat yourselves to a wonderful, healthy, fun, and rich life! We are so worth it.:)
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational! Thank you!
  • Gargoyle69
    Gargoyle69 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!

Self Compassion! YAY!!!
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Hoo boy, did I need to read this tonight. Thank you for posting it.
  • autumn5gabby
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Because....we're worth it!!! :flowerforyou:

Thanks for an AWESOME post!!