Greek yogurt

Options
Can someone tell me the difference between greek yogurt and regular yogurt such as Dannon?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt tends to have much more protein and much less sugar. It is thicker and has the consistency of sour cream.

I personally think it tastes better too.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    Greek yogurt tends to have much more protein and much less sugar. It is thicker and has the consistency of sour cream.

I personally think it tastes better too.

yah, what she said.

Greek yogurt for the win. Its awesome!
  • roadbiscuit2000
    Options
    Greek yogurt has no fat and alot more protein. It is thick and not as liquid as regular yogurt. I just recently started trying it and really like it. However it can be an acquired taste you will want to add something to it.
  • abray84
    abray84 Posts: 55
    Options
    Thank you...any brand that u suggest and Flavors?
  • roadbiscuit2000
    Options
    Once you go greek you will never go back.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt is more sour and is a 'set' yoghurt so a thicker consistency than other yoghurts. You have to be careful of the fat content.

GG
  • roadbiscuit2000
    Options

I am trying yoplait for now, but will try others.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention that I have also added it to my foods whenever the recipe calls for sour cream. It's great with no fat and tons of protein.

When I have it by itself, I normally mix in a bunch of berries, especially blueberries or strawberries, cause it's great that way.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    Liberte yogurt! Mocha is amazing.
  • Lyadeia
    Options

I prefer Oikos plain fat free Greek yogurt. I also enjoy Fage or Chobani when my store is out of Oikos. But I always get plain and then add my own fruits to it, or use it instead of sour cream as I mentioned before.
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yoplait has some good flavors to choose from - they come in 6.5 oz containers. My favorite flavor is Blueberry!
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting I've been wondering the same thing!
  • kittyb1
    kittyb1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt still has fat.....but, it has higher protein, lower carb load and yes it is thicker and tastes great. But, if you are looking for calcium, reg yogurt is higher. I personally go with Greek Gods Vanilla, just a 1/2 cup with flax seed and its is yummo!!
  • hamsmash
    hamsmash Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well the sugar and fat content varies between manufacturer. However for the true greek yogurt and not the dannon stuff they label as greek and add some thickeners, has more strains of active cultures. I believe standard yogurt has 3 strains and greek has upwards of 5. Definitely thicker with a bit more protein. Just pay attention to what you get some are full fat full sugar so they clock in at 200 calories for 6 oz. but there are skim sugar free ones. Very very tasty.
  • jeremymaritz
    Options
    Yep! Greek yogurt is GOOD, Dannon is NOT. :)

Seriously, Greek Yogurt is yogurt that has been strained to remove the whey, so it's more substantial/thicker. There's more 'yogurt' to it, if that makes any sense. Also, the straining process removes a ton of the water, sugar and salt present in normal yogurt, so it actually has like twice the protein while being lower in sodium and sugary carbs.

I for one think it tastes a lot better...not only tastebud-wise but also in terms of satisfaction. I can have a Chobani with a handful of granola for a snack and be totally satisfied whereas eating a Dannon or even Activia just feels like I'm wasting calories.
  • krise31
    krise31 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I prefer Oikos plain fat free Greek yogurt. I also enjoy Fage or Chobani when my store is out of Oikos. But I always get plain and then add my own fruits to it, or use it instead of sour cream as I mentioned before.

I love Oikos in the Honey flavor soo good
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Just recently tried greek yogurt and at first it was ok ( tasted kinda sour) but I got use to it lol. I get yoplait.. they have blueberry, strawberry, and vanilla honey. I add granola oats to mine and its very yummy :smile: I hear Chobani brand is good but havent had the chance to try it yet since I havent found it at my grocery store. It is thicker and more sour than reg yogurt like everyone else already mentioned... give it a try :happy:
  • bfrice1
    bfrice1 Posts: 62
    Options
    I like Chobani - it's not sour, and it's got nice flavors, and most of them are non fat. I mix it with Kashi Go Lean Crunch for breakfast everyday.
  • lelee17
    lelee17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks is Dannon Vanilla Greek Yogurt with a 1/4 cup of raw Quaker Oats. :)
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I have been eating Activia on a regular basis but my have to switch to Chobani. But man oh man is that stuff pricey.