Cereal???

Options
2»

Replies

• kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Shredded wheat or cheerios (add fruit) or oatmeal and add cinnamon- are great options :) yum!
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    yes but these are high in sugar.
    I shop at Aldi... I get Granola Raisin Bran, or Shredded Mini Wheats, or Low-Fat Granola with Raisins... they are yummy, filling and under $2 per box.
  • marycrowson
    Options
    The general rule of cereal is that the heavier it is, the less you will have in your bowl. This makes it a psychological battle as well, since I want to eat as much as possible (isn't that how I got overweight?!!). That being said, your best bet it to read labels---puffed rice or wheat is the biggest bowl of cereal; grapenuts, granola, etc the smallest. bowl as far as calories. Sure, honeynut cheerios are great---one of my favorites! Two suggestions: try high fiber, low sugar oatmeal (Wal-mart brand has the best taste for the best price, last time I checked). I love granola but store bought is high fat and/or high sugar. After trying several, I tinkered with a recipe until I got one that all my friends beg for a "care package". It's on sparke people: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1554804&ff=1 (copy and paste this link into your browser). Try it I think you'll like it---I will put the nutrition information onto myfitnesspal so that you can add it to a meal if you like. Enjoy!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Generic bulk bin Steel Cut Oats.....google how to cook them. Make a large batch...keep in fridge...micro-wave a portion every day....I LOVE THEM....CHEAP and delish.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    steel oats!!
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options
    Special K cereals are good!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'm in the plain oatmeal camp.

I "cook" it by pouring boiling water over 1/2 cup dry oats and set a small plate over top for about 5 minutes.
    I then add 1/2 banana and recently, cherries. Sooooo yummy and filling.
  • devi_lynn
    Options
    Special K Protein Plus ~~ It's 10 grams of protein in 3/4 cup of cereal. I have mine with about 1/4 cup of blueberries and 1/2 cup of skim milk. It's yummy and only has 2 grams of sugar. All the protein really holds you until lunch too!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I make a big pot of Steel Cut oats 2 times a week. I use 1/2 light soy milk and 1/2 water for the liquid. I add blueberries or cranberries, raisins as I want and 1 tblsp of either peanut butter or almond butter when warming it up. Stays with you and very good for the digestion ;)