Drinking water with fake sugars-what really counts?

Options
Ok so I don't drink water with crystal light or anything but I was curious.....don't you think people shouldn't add the water you mixed with packets like crystal light, coffee, etc into your daily "8 cups" of water in your diary?

I just feel like , yes, its water....but its diluted with stuff and not as good as pure water.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• MandyC82
    MandyC82 Posts: 73
    Options
    I've always heard (and believed) that if it's carbonated you can't count it as water. That's what I go by.
  • Kristyb1010
    Options
    I count it, but want to hear what others say! I've heard other people count coffee, tea or any clear liquid really, but I don't know?
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've always heard (and believed) that if it's carbonated you can't count it as water. That's what I go by.

You mean count only carbonated water like la croix?
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I don't think crystal light is bad to add as water, of course the best drink you can have is water. You should really not count coffee-it is a diuretic and will dehydrate you-so no on coffee, but I say yes on crystal light, but again-water a better choice.
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options
    I count it, but want to hear what others say! I've heard other people count coffee, tea or any clear liquid really, but I don't know?

My doctor used to say coffee and drinks that are flavored by crystal light packets are negative water....just that its not as good for you as pure water.
  • MandyC82
    Options
    Any carbonated drinks are not counted as water.
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options
    I don't think crystal light is bad to add as water, of course the best drink you can have is water. You should really not count coffee-it is a diuretic and will dehydrate you-so no on coffee, but I say yes on crystal light, but again-water a better choice.

Personally I think adding crystal light/flavored drinks that are made with water shouldnt count. I dont eat or drink anything with aspartame or any type of fake sugars...I think its really bad for you.
  • MandyC82
    Options
    In the end of the day, I'm going with it. It can't be that bad.
  • WashingtonGrown
    Options
    I don't count it, I usually drink between 8-16oz of Coffee a day and 80-100oz of pure water a day. If it's not water, it gets added to my diary and counted as calories. Most of the time that is just half a diet cherry pepsi. I can't chug 24 oz of Crystal lite like I can water.
  • jeremymaritz
    Options
    I certainly don't count caffeinated beverages because caffeine is a diuretic and actually removes water from your system. As such, I think anything that doesn't negate the positive effects of pure water intake should be considered part of your water regimen. Herbal teas and such are fine...even crystal light powders...but you have to watch out for those artificial sweeteners.
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    OK...here's w hat I do. I have a 24oz water bottle. I make diet sweet tea with 3 tea bags and 12 packets of sweet n low. unfortunately, the sweet and low has calories, but only 8 for 24oz. I drink this 3 times a day with meals. I DO count this as my water intake. It tastes EXACTLY like the sweet tea from McDonald's too! BONUS!!!! PS...use decaf tea or u will DEFF never get sleep again (learned that one the hard way) :bigsmile:
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options
    I certainly don't count caffeinated beverages because caffeine is a diuretic and actually removes water from your system. As such, I think anything that doesn't negate the positive effects of pure water intake should be considered part of your water regimen. Herbal teas and such are fine...even crystal light powders...but you have to watch out for those artificial sweeteners.

Exactly what I was trying to say! LOL

Just wanted a few opinions on that. Thanks!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Bingo. And that's not what you were saying. If you add Crystal Light, it still counts as water. Hell, if you want to get really scientific, the water from fruits and vegetables "count" as far as your body is concerned. The reason alcohol and caffiene doesn't is because it's a diuretic.
  • lejess
    lejess Posts: 63
    Options
    Bingo. And that's not what you were saying. If you add Crystal Light, it still counts as water. Hell, if you want to get really scientific, the water from fruits and vegetables "count" as far as your body is concerned. The reason alcohol and caffiene doesn't is because it's a diuretic.

Agreed on all of that! I just read through the other posts and one thing that didnt seem "clear" that I wanted to add, Crystal Light does not have artificial sweeteners in it....unless you're adding that yourself. So yes, it counts as part of your water intake. :happy:
  • lejess
    lejess Posts: 63
    Options
    Ok, one more thing....Check this link out, and scroll to misconceptions.
    http://www.ehow.com/about_5374247_sparkling-water-dehydrate.html

Assuming that everything on the internet is fact :laugh: this suggests that carbonated water can still count. Anyone else have thoughts on that?
    I had considered getting one of those home soda maker thingys, but to make carbonated water (perhaps with crystal light!) A friend of mine has one and uses hers for that and loves it. One of the hardest habits I had to break was drinking my afternoon soda. Could be a healthier and hydrating alternative?
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options

Agreed on all of that! I just read through the other posts and one thing that didnt seem "clear" that I wanted to add, Crystal Light does not have artificial sweeteners in it....unless you're adding that yourself. So yes, it counts as part of your water intake. :happy:

not exactly true... There are 2+ versions of Crystal Lite:

There is Crystal lite Fitness ( recently renamed Crystal Lite Pure) that contains truvia and then there is the regular Crystal lite that contains Aspertame
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options

Assuming that everything on the internet is fact :laugh: this suggests that carbonated water can still count. Anyone else have thoughts on that?
    I had considered getting one of those home soda maker thingys, but to make carbonated water (perhaps with crystal light!) A friend of mine has one and uses hers for that and loves it. One of the hardest habits I had to break was drinking my afternoon soda. Could be a healthier and hydrating alternative?

on the rare occasion I get an inkling for soda, I buy sodium free seltzer ( Walmart brand) for 66 cents a bottle and add a to-go pkg of Crystal Lite Pure
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Options

I wanted to buy one of those soda makers too! I was thinking I could make my own La croix if I added fruit or lime. I personally dont drink crystal light b/c of the aspartame...but I was also leary of the new Truvia invention too.