HRM suggestions

Options
I started 30DS tonight and want to get an HRM to find out what how much calories I burned.
I'm a college student so I'm looking for a cheap but still fairly accurate HRM. What do you recommend?

Replies

• adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I went to Walmart and got a HRM watch and it was less than $30. ($27.77 I think)
  • Tiffany1111
    Tiffany1111 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    polar is one of the cheapest and more accurate monitors you can get. try and purchase one that is coded so that if you are working beside someone else it doesn't read their heart rate or their monitor instead.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    You might check out the search feature, the HRM question is asked quite a bit and some of those threads are both recent and packed full of info.
  • UcallMeJay
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4. They retail for about $80 but are worth the investment.
    It is easy to get set up and easy to use. Sets your heart rate zones based off of your info.
    Only downside is you have to download the user manual from their website. But you get access to a free training diary and has some cardio workout plans for you too.

I did a lot of research before I purchased my HRM and Polar got some of the better reviews.
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 I think it is and I love mine so much! It was worth the $, and it helps me push myself harder if need be, or slow down and push towards my calorie goal!
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've read a few of the posts about HRM's and it seems everyone is saying not to buy one from WalMart and to spend a little more money on a Polar! If you want a Polar, try looking for one at amazon.com. They can be much cheaper there!
  • dodoodoodo
    dodoodoodo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i would suggest the polar F7. that's what i got from amazon.com and it was around 80 bucks. make sure you get one with a chest strap as those are the most accurate. it's encouraging working out with one for sure, makes you work a little harder :)
  • UcallMeJay
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 I think it is and I love mine so much! It was worth the $, and it helps me push myself harder if need be, or slow down and push towards my calorie goal!

Agreed! Knowing how many calories I burned definitely gives a little more motivation to push harder.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Yes, it sucks to be a student, no income. How much can you afford? Can you managed to have family member to help with partial payment?

I've seen Amazon has Timex are about $35 but some people find it gave too big of burned.

Polar is one of the top brand which is very accurate. It's worth of the investment in my opinion. I have the FT7, but you might be able to find cheaper more basic model. If the model give you accurate heart rate reading, but no calories burn info, it's ok. All you need to do is use the average heart rate reading, plug into a formula, and you'll get the calories burn info.

It's more important to have accurate heart rate reading than give you a total burn (in my opinion)
  • healthyandthin
    healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes, it sucks to be a student, no income. How much can you afford? Can you managed to have family member to help with partial payment?

I've seen Amazon has Timex are about $35 but some people find it gave too big of burned.

Polar is one of the top brand which is very accurate. It's worth of the investment in my opinion. I have the FT7, but you might be able to find cheaper more basic model. If the model give you accurate heart rate reading, but no calories burn info, it's ok. All you need to do is use the average heart rate reading, plug into a formula, and you'll get the calories burn info.

It's more important to have accurate heart rate reading than give you a total burn (in my opinion)

Timex is a reasonable option for me. Anything over that price, my folks would kill me when they see the credit card bill.
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4. They retail for about $80 but are worth the investment.
    It is easy to get set up and easy to use. Sets your heart rate zones based off of your info.
    Only downside is you have to download the user manual from their website. But you get access to a free training diary and has some cardio workout plans for you too.

I did a lot of research before I purchased my HRM and Polar got some of the better reviews.
    Wow, that's so cheap. They sell for $160 at rebelsport.
    http://www.rebelsport.com.au/ecom/rebel/product_listing.aspx?cat=195