Need Help Coaching Third Base Runners

Options
Need Help Coaching Third Base Runners

My twin boys are almost five years old and are in their first teeball season.

I've volunteered to coach the third base runners during the game.

I might not get third base so if you have first, second, third and home base coaching, please lay it on me.

This is a non competitive league for first time teeballers.

The rules are different from baseball; instead of throwing the player out, the defense puts the ball within a circle around teh pitcher's mound.

This is all very new to me. I'm 47 and a single mother. WHen I was growing up, girls weren't allowed to play so I never learned.

I want to participate and be able to help my sons learn and enjoy the game. I don't want to be the "snack mom" because I want to see my boys seeing me be active and fit -- to be a good role model. I want to be off my butt and out there being active.

Please give me coaching tips and parenting tips for teeball.

Thanks very much, I really appreciate it.
Michele

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    getting the kids attention and getting them to actually run from 1st...to 2nd...to 3rd is really all you can do. Oh...and stop them from chasing grasshoppers. In tee-ball outfield is just about the most boring position to play.

Not a whole lot of strategy in tee-ball.

...and it may be "non-competitive", but there is always one kid that knows the exact score.
  • michelegbowman
    Options
    Binary jester...do you have a strategy or tactic for getting their attention? Hand signals ? Motions? WOrds?

WHen I say I'm a newbie, I really mean it.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Binary jester...do you have a strategy or tactic for getting their attention? Hand signals ? Motions? WOrds?

WHen I say I'm a newbie, I really mean it.
    Hand signals...screaming...come to me gesture...a flare gun...all are good. Really the main trick is getting them to run to 2nd base. If they see you motioning for them to come to you, they will.

To be honest things could have changed since I coached. My oldest skipped tee-ball and went into minors. They could be stealing bases in tee-ball for all I know now.
  • michelegbowman
    Options
    Got it, Binary Jester. Thanks !

If you have other advice, please share. I need all the help I can get.
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    Most importantly....just have fun.
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    My 3yr old played last year, I'm just glad the field was fenced. It would have been easier to herd squirrels.
  • B40FireGuy
    B40FireGuy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are you "stuck" as the third-base coach, or that the position you were "given"? The main thing is to make sure these kids have as much fun as possible and learn as much about the game of baseball, respect, teamwork, sportsmanship, etc., as they can. I am in similar shoes. My 6 year-old is playing his first year of tee ball, and I'm a first-time MANAGER!! I will admit, that after the first practice, I said, "I never thought that herding cats could be so fun". My dad told me that I am the biggest kid out there. Here are some pieces of advise I received:

-- "time" the kids how long it takes them to run from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc. Create a "compeition" for them to keep them interested. Even offer to "race" them between bases (of course, letting them win), to see if they can get there first.

-- When they are learning how to field groundballs, teach them the "Alligator" technique. Make sure there glove is getting dirty and that as the ball approaches, use their bare hand (alligator's top jaw) to "eat" the baseball. I tell them that alligators love to eat baseballs. Remind them of this throughout the games.

-- I like to race my team from one end of the field to other at the end of each practice (see "biggest kid out there").

I hope this helps. I'm sure I'll remember more as the days pass and I'll surely post on here again. Remember, you never too old to have fun.

"Swing hard in case you hit it."
  • michelegbowman
    Options
    Terrific advice from both you guys and what a sense of humor "herding squirrels and cats" so funny.

Alligator technique. Got it.

Racing for fun. got it.

Have fun. Definitely got it.

THANKS....any more? Lay it on me !
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Have fun!
    If correcting behavior use the praise, correct, praise: nice hit, don't watch the ball when you run, high five for making it to "x" base.
    If you are having fun, they will to!

Use big hand, arm and body gestures, it gets them excited and they want to head your way. Think of a traffic cop.

Enjoy the moments with your boys!!