I am STARVING!!! How long will this last?

Options
I have gone from 1300 calories to 1000 calories a day and Iam soo hungary! Just curious how long before the feeling will go away?

Replies

• yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    Options
    Funnily enough, if you go from 1000 back to 1300, you just might stop being hungry :P
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    1000 cals is too low i would go back to the 1300
  • KoppelJaeger
    Options
    In my opinion even for a woman of middle age 1000 kcal is more or less under-nutrition, isn't it???
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you be at 1000 per day? Unless it's supervised by a nutritionist/dietitian - very bad idea.

The starving feeling will last until your body adapts and begins breaking down muscle, skin, hair, nails and other organs for fuel, since you aren't giving it enough. :smile:

I'd recommend reading the following threads that help explain metabolism and why eating too little will backfire.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175241-a-personal-view-on-exercise-cals-and-underfeeding

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/174065-starvation-mode-is-real-and-ugly
  • daveanthony
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1580 calories. With the workout (and the exercise is really important), I have managed to lose 16 pounds since January 17th. I can't imagine trying to make it on 1,000 calories.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    In your profile you state that you're trying to get healthy.
    Not on 1000 calories you won't. You can't possibly get all the nutrition your body needs nor the fuel to fire it.

Why do this to yourself? Is it impatience to see results?
  • jgover
    jgover Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough, if you go from 1000 back to 1300, you just might stop being hungry :P

:laugh:
  • chillijam1
    chillijam1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    that cant be right ,on MFC your min is 1200 calories otherwise your body goes in starvation mode ,i think you need to have a look at your profile again ,somethings not right there.:smile:
  • FrodoB
    FrodoB Posts: 19
    Options
    I have gone from 1300 calories to 1000 calories a day and Iam soo hungary! Just curious how long before the feeling will go away?

Probably never. That hungry feeling is your body telling you that you need to eat. You would be wise to listen. If you eat just real food--and by real food I mean veggies, meat you cooked yourself, nothing processed, etc.-- you can eat a lot of food without a lot of calories. 1000 calories a day will put any adult's body into starvation mode. To lose weight you need to eat. Just don't eat too much,and eat actual food. Do that and you are gold.
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Eating more protein not only will aid in weight loss, but will keep you fuller longer. Eggs in the morning with a piece of toast, A nice salad with either steak or chicken for lunch with wishbone salad spritzers and a small dollar roll, and then dinner eat something like a lean meat with some cooked veggies and a small baked potato. I think even with that you will be at a great calorie level, but not starving!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Sorry this is dangerous,you should at least have 1200 cals a day,of course you are starving,you literally are!
  • jgover
    jgover Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sorry I laughed at that guys comment, it just caught me off guard. I'm also a mom of three and work the night shift. I tried only eating 1000 calories a day and of course, I was always starving. I did lose weight quicker this way, but I didn't feel good and was prone to binges. I now eat 1200 cal a day or more if I exercise. I feel really good and lose about a pound a week. This will help me keep it off in the long run. Good luck!
  • Deenee19
    Deenee19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I first started on MFP I was trying to lose 2 lbs a week which to me didnt seem like a lot. But I found that 1200 cal/d just wasnt enough for me to have even 3 meals a day without going over, so i decreases my weight loss to 1 1/2 lbs a week and i gained an extra 200 calories which made a world of difference. Im not going over my daily intake now and I dont feel like Im constantly hungry. Maybe you are trying to lose too much too fast.
  • chelmstadter
    Options
    my dr told me 1200 cal was too much for my height, he told me to go to 1000, maybe i should get a second opinion?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    my dr told me 1200 cal was too much for my height, he told me to go to 1000, maybe i should get a second opinion?

you just did.
    And a 3rd, and a 4th...etc.
    Granted we're not doctors, but this tool has worked for so many, and most "doctors" only get like 20 MINUTES of nutrition training throughout all their time at Med School.

Set up your goals trough MFP at 1 lb per week loss, with your accurate height weight stats, and what does it tell you to eat?

What ARE your stats, anyways?

I am 5'2" and 107 lbs and I eat 1600 a day...

Eating too little can cause problems with your whole body. Perhaps your doctor just wants your insurance money as you will be going back to see him often if you keep starving yourself...
  • chelmstadter
    Options
    thankyou deenee, i will try that <3
  • rivera_72084
    Options
    Im short and Well my Dr. told me also, No LESS than 1000 and No MORE than 1300, When I get hungry I eat a snack that wont exceed 1300..Plus I love that lil excerise feature that after you workout adds so many calories to your daily intake ;0) My advice eat a healthy snack if your really hungry :flowerforyou:
  • chelmstadter
    Options
    :blushing: Thankyou Rivera, I think that is what the problem is...when I get HUNGRY I want something unhealthy!! I am going to the grocery store tomorrow! maybe I need some power bars and fruits and veggies to lift my spirits!!
  • mrb3737
    mrb3737 Posts: 4
    Options
    I know exactly how you are feeling. When I signed up for this a few weeks ago, I was on a 1600 Cal a day diet. Way down from the 5000 to 6000 of BK, Wendys, And Five Guys my growing body was used to. I thought this would be impossible. But when I started eating more sensibly, that "Starving" feeling started to go away. I still feel hungry often, but when I do, I eat. I now pack my lunch to work which is usually thin deli sliced chicken breast or turkey. And as a treat, low sodium ham just to change things up. I bring 3 sandwiches to work and eat half of each one roughly every hour. Then I eat a snack here and there (low calorie ie. shrimp, fruits, or even 100 calorie snacks) but no more than 2 a day. I have a nice dinner and all I've been drinking is water. The feeling of being hungry subsides after each small meal. Hardest thing is trying to find time to eat every hour. But I eat at my desk. With all this and about 1 hour of exercise, I maintain about 1400 calories a day. Each sandwich usually 220 cal x3 = 660. 2 snacks = 200. leaves me at 860. 100 for my coffee skim milk and sugar. =960 - 500 exercise = 460 and 800-1000 for dinner puts me at 1260 to 1460 a day. Been working good so far. Good Luck!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    1000 cals is too little. No matter who you are.

Saying that I felt starving all the time for the first 2 weeks of 1200, but now, 2 1/2 months on I feel great. I'm just feeling the cold more than I did with a nice insulating layer of fat over me.