How long does it take?

Options
Does anyone happen to know...how long it takes for the day's nutritional input to show up on the scale? What I mean is, if a person ate enough calories to cause them to gain (for instance) would it show up the very next day or is there some amount of time for the physiological process to take place in your body?

Same question for sodium (since too much sodium will often cause us to bloat and show a gain on the scale....) If I eat a bazillion grams of sodium today is it going to hit me today, tonight, 2 days from now, etc.?

I know, for me, I see a lot of my MFP friends beating themselves up for gaining 0.5 or 1 pound now and then but if you look at what they're eating, you'll see a spike in sodium etc. I do the same thing myself so I'm just curious...after a slip up at Taco Bell, should we just stay away from the scale for 2 weeks or give it 24 hours or what?

Maybe I should have titled this post: "From Sin to Saddlebags" :o)

Replies

• 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have no clue but would love to know what others say.
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    I am interested to know as well!
  • marte80
    marte80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Drink more water to flush the sodium out your system.
  • redhotsmacker
    redhotsmacker Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think sodium generally hits you the same day/evening. When I have a sodium binge or what not the weight usually shows up on the scale by the next morning and usually take about 2 days to dissapear. I'm not sure about the other part of your question though.
  • tahardesty
    Options
    Would love to know myself...good question!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Sodium can make you 'gain' 5 lbs ov er night & take days to get rid of. 1 lb = 3500 calories. In order to lose 1 lb, you need a 3500 calorie defecit in order to lose 1 lb.
  • ryssaan
    ryssaan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I can weigh myself before I eat chinese food and then again after and see a 3 to 5 lbs increase. It normally takes about 2 to 3 days of good eating and hard exercise to get rid of the extra pounds.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I went on an eating binge yesterday, WAY over in calories but not too much over on sodium. When I weighed myself this moring I was up 1.6 lbs. from the day before. Yes, all other things were constant (time of day, clothing, etc.) It will be interesting to see what the scale shows tomorrow.
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I have noticed when I go way over on salt. I am fine that night but the next nights weigh in is higher. So roughly about a whole day. Thats for me at least.