Am I eating enough calories???

Options
Okay, I am new here, start about a week ago and I am very gun ho and excited to get started.

My question is though...I am over 250 pounds and the site it telling me to eat 1,370 calories, can this be correct? I am fine with it, in fact there are days that I don't even eat all of them, so that's not the reason for me asking. I'm just afraid of going into startvation mode, causing me to lose muscle instead of fat. I'm not trying to sound stupid, but I always thought you were to start slowly reducing your calories as you lose the weight.

I'm also worried that if and when I get to my goal weight, the site will tell me to eat 500 calories a day.

Can someone help out here, if this is right, great, but if it's not...

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    The site will never have you go below 1200 calories a day.It seems your at a decent calorie amount now,as long as your not starving everyday.Everyone likes to say the magic number for going into starvation mode is going under 1200 a day.
    I wouldnt worry about it
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Hi best of luck to you ,I would personally find 1350 too little,Im 5ft 2 and weigh 151lbs,I try to stick to 1500 cals a day I find under this and Ive no energy,I find eating 6 meals a day works alot better for me than 3 big ones,also I go for a brisk walk for an hour every day,I will never be Barbie but Im feeling very fit and healthy and thats got to be ok!:happy:
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    you also get to eat exercise cals back if you choose. as long as 1350 is your net cals
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Adjust as you go. I am 5'3" and started at 206lb and was eating 1200 cal/day. After 6 weeks I plateaused and stayed there for about 4 weeks. I upped my calories to 1300/day and now have seen a modest (.8lb) loss this week. I don't think there is a magic number you just have to trial and error what works for you and adjust as needed.

PS I eat very low due to hypothyroid, anemia conditions.
  • Whitefox77
    Whitefox77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I will see how it goes at what they are telling me and then go from there. :happy:
  • LMBS05
    LMBS05 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would go see a doctor (M.D.) that specializes in weight management. My in network general practitioner has a weight management focus. As long as you are otherwise healthy and are working out you should be fine, but cutting that low I always feel should be monitored by a doctor. Cardio should help you stay out of starvation mode because it helps keep your metabolism going!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is around 1850. I think you should stay around 2000 as a minimum unless a doctor okays anything much lower.