If being FAT wasn't unhealthy

Options
If being fat wasn't unhealthy would you still want to lose weight? If it was only for vanity reasons would you still strive as hard?

Replies

• jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Absolutly...Vain I know but I want to look the very best i can all the time
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Considering that my weight loss has taken my breasts and left a lot of sagging skin I would have to say no. I feel that I looked better before. Younger.

I wanted to lose it for convenience. Fit into more clothes, get on amusement park rides with my kids, to avoid any health problems...

So if being fat were healthy and things were made to accommodate all sizes I don't think I would have done it. The world doesn't work like that though. :-D
  • stevo1078
    stevo1078 Posts: 26
    Options
    I admit i'd probably be a slave to our culture and still would try to loose weight.
  • bobbidigital
    Options
    For me it would be more about being able to walk into a store and buy things. Or to be able to sit in a bus seat without spilling over into my neighbors seat. Even if it were healthy, the world is built for smaller people. It's less about fitting in and more about just fitting period.
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Considering that my weight loss has taken my breasts and left a lot of sagging skin I would have to say no. I feel that I looked better before. Younger.

I wanted to lose it for convenience. Fit into more clothes, get on amusement park rides with my kids, to avoid any health problems...

So if being fat were healthy and things were made to accommodate all sizes I don't think I would have done it. The world doesn't work like that though. :-D
    Yes but don't you think that is part of the result of you having surgery? I'm not asking that to be mean, rather that surgery makes you lose weight so much quicker and your body can't keep up with it in a sense.
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes I would want too....Even though I am considered healthy right now at almost 300lbs I don't want to look the way I look though! I hate the way I look, so I want to feel better about myself and have the confidence that I've never had!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I don't hate the way I look but I do hate exercise, so probably not.
  • gemco
    gemco Posts: 129
    Options
    good question, hard to say. if fat wasn't unhealthy perhaps we wouldnt all think thinner automatically meant more attractive. other cultures through the years have found the more buxom laydee desirable and the benchmark. Regardless, all health issues aside i'd still strive for attractive, whatever that may be. it's all about the shopping though tbh, rather than admiring glances. i just want to buy and wear nice clothes and wear heels without looking ridiculous.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have never been fat enough that it has been harmful to my health. I have only very briefly once dipped up into the overweight category, so yeah, it's all about vanity with me! I do want to be fitter, though. That is about health. I don't want to be out of breath keeping up with my children.
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If being fat wasn't unhealthy would you still want to lose weight? If it was only for vanity reasons would you still strive as hard?

Tobe honest vanity is my biggest reason, I hated my fat face and lumpy body. I wasn't grossly overweight though so didn't have any health issues anyway.
    The fact that I'm starting to feel a lot fitter and stronger is just a fantastic bonus.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Yes but don't you think that is part of the result of you having surgery? I'm not asking that to be mean, rather that surgery makes you lose weight so much quicker and your body can't keep up with it in a sense.

No, it's a valid question. It's not a result of having the surgery, it's a result of being morbidly obese and genetics. My mother was morbidly obese and lost a couple hundred pounds back in the 1980's without surgery and she has the same sagging skin. Once you get to be a certain size, the skin sag is permanent and can only be taken care of by plastic surgery.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I felt better when I was 40 pounds lighter. My arthritis didn't bother me so much (weight on creaky joints), I was more active in general because moving around wasn't so unpleasant. I find myself sort of lumbering around with this much weight and conserving motion. I was able to buy cute clothes and feel good about the way I looked in them. Now, I can't find anything that fits properly and even if I do, photos below the neck are depressing. So yes, I want to lose weight. Not so much for my health as for how I physically and emotionally feel at a lower weight.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Actually the two biggest reasons I wanted to lose weight weren't vanity OR health. The first was that I noticed none of my rings fit. I love jewellery and hated not being able to wear it! Secondly I can't stand feeling sweaty in the summer and when I was bigger I felt hot and sweaty all the time.

So there you have my rather pathetic real reasons why I wanted to lose weight!