vibrams five finger shoes?

Options
I am trying to decide if I should invest in a pair of 'minimalist' running shoes...although the research is growing in support of this due to the different and natural way you land on your foot, I was wondering if those who own them can give some testimonials good or bad about them and how far are people actually running in them? thanks

Replies

• JeanMargaret
    Options
    I don't own a pair, but my fiance does & he really digs them. He says they're very comfortable. I'd like some myself, but I don't know.

I hope you find what you're looing for.

*smiles*

Jean
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't have vibrams, but I have some barefoot offroad inov8s. I love running in barefoot shoes, BUT I am just recovering from an ankle injury caused by lack of cushioning over too long a run (17k), and my physiotherapist says 80% of the running injuries she sees are as a result of offroad/barefoot shoes. Which has made me wonder if they really are such a good idea. I get the impression they are great for shorter runs, or if you have been running for years, but apparently if you have only been running 6months-2 years your cardio fitness increases faster than your flexibility/tendon fitness, so you are more prone to injury wearing shoes that make your feet work harder.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    I read somewhere that they are not bad, but if you are planning on running outside, you will most likely hurt yourself since you will be able to feel every rock, crack and bump in the road. They'd be good if you run mostly on a treadmill :) They look really funny though and sound like a foot high five to the treadmill when people are running in them!:laugh:
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do own a pair and they are different and take time to get use to because you flat out just run differently in them your foot flexes more and give you much more of a natural feel. They do have a hardend sole on them to help protect your foot but you will feel like bigger rocks and sticks but I think it is one of those things you will not know if they are right for you until you use them for about 2-3 weeks.
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested in getting a pair!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I don't have vibrams, but I have some barefoot offroad inov8s. I love running in barefoot shoes, BUT I am just recovering from an ankle injury caused by lack of cushioning over too long a run (17k), and my physiotherapist says 80% of the running injuries she sees are as a result of offroad/barefoot shoes. Which has made me wonder if they really are such a good idea. I get the impression they are great for shorter runs, or if you have been running for years, but apparently if you have only been running 6months-2 years your cardio fitness increases faster than your flexibility/tendon fitness, so you are more prone to injury wearing shoes that make your feet work harder.

Thanks for the feedback. I've wondered about that. :)
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've never personally tried them, but from a scientific point of view they are a really bad idea if you have anything less than a perfect foot/ankle position when running. ie: if your feet pronate/you have flat feet when you run then they are not for you. If you have a tendency to sprain your ankle then also not for you. You will need the extra support a proper pair of trainers will give you.

I do like the concept of them, but it's not nearly well enough publicised that they are not for everybody.

Hope that's helpful

Cathy
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have them and I love them. But I don't run with them. I walk, not hike with them. I hiked with them once before and I felt everything. Every rock,s tick and bramble. I swim with mine too. When I exercise I mostly wear them unless I'm doing something with a lot of cardio. For some reason they hurt my knees when jumping. There isn't much insulation on the bottom of them. But when I power walk, they are wonderful.

I saw that Fila is coming out with something similar
  • Dakota1235
    Options
    I have some, and I love them BUT go very slowly, and I mean it, yes you can hurt yourself if you don't take it slow. I started out just wearing them around the house, and over the course of a year I very slowly worked them into my daily routine and then finally into my exercise regimen. You have been wearing shoes for a long time and your feet (bones, muscles, tendons) need time to adjust to the different things you'll be asking of them wearing these shoes.
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've never personally tried them, but from a scientific point of view they are a really bad idea if you have anything less than a perfect foot/ankle position when running. ie: if your feet pronate/you have flat feet when you run then they are not for you. If you have a tendency to sprain your ankle then also not for you. You will need the extra support a proper pair of trainers will give you.

I do like the concept of them, but it's not nearly well enough publicised that they are not for everybody.

Hope that's helpful

Cathy

Thanks for the insight!
  • beahawk
    beahawk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a pair but I only lift in them because it helps me be more aware of the placement of my feet/weight for squatting and other leg workouts.

I haven't gotten the nerve to run in them because you have to run on the balls of your feet and that's totally different than running in cushioned sneakers. Since its getting warmer, I may give it a try....
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I have a pair and I can't run long distances in them because I get blisters on my big toes where my normal calluses are (yes, the shoes fit correctly. :tongue:). Anything under 2 miles in them I could handle, but I was training for 10k distances at the time. I tried very hard to build up running in them and it just didn't work out. I really, really wanted them to work. But they haven't gone to total waste -- I use them for walking & yoga at times.

My FAVORITE pair of minimalist shoes that I've found are New Balance 100s. I have the old model, but they released a new model in October 2010. They're ultra light & provide essentially no support. I still use the barefoot running "technique" in them (running on the balls of my feet versus heel striking). They're trail runners so they do provide often-needed traction. I do all of my working out in them. I've actually had them since September & they've held up really great (though I haven't been running nearly as much as I normally would have been since I'm pregnant). I personally would recommend them over the Vibrams.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my vibrams!

I got them over Christmas and have worn them for all my runs less than 5 miles. I have had bad runner's knee problems and hip pain previously, and I honestly feel these shoes have HELPED correct these by naturally strengthening my muscles. It took a bit of getting used to them since I never landed on the ball of my foot but now I LOVE them.

Highly Recommended!
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I know someone that had some of these. He didn't run in them or anything, he just thought they were cool. All I know is they were really stinky!! I couldn't be near the person when they wore them cause it smelled so bad. So if you do get some, wash them often!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I run outside, in the dark, on mostly asphalt in VIbram KSOs. I have been using them consistently for about six weeks. In the last seven days I have run 26 miles and walked 22 miles in them. Most of these runs have been around 5 1/2 miles.

Initially I had sore calves and ankles but that passed. Now the bottoms of my feet hurt some, but that seems to be getting better also. SInce I run in the dark, I step on some rocks and that hurts a little. However, my feet and legs seem to learning so that when they sense a rock they adjust to prevent an injury.

Overall, I like running in them a lot. No shin splints or knee pain or any other pain really except for the bottoms of my feet..
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    You might want to refer to this thread here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/199705-barefoot-shoes

It is soooo important that people really take the time when they transition to barefoot shoes. They get a bad rap because people do too much too soon. Your feet have been coddled and are very very lazy from cushioned stability shoes. You have to take time to build up the muscles in your feet to support the bones and tendons or you WILL get an injury.

People with bad arches believe they need to put a crutch or bandaid in their shoes to "fix" the problem. What they really need is stronger muscles on the top of their feet for arch support. Wearing barefoot shoes prevent you from heel striking too much which is the cause of shin splints and plantar fac.

I found out the I needed more forefoot cushioning on longer runs...over 13 miles. But my husband is a 100% vff's runner and has run 2 marathons and is training for an ultra.
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I know someone that had some of these. He didn't run in them or anything, he just thought they were cool. All I know is they were really stinky!! I couldn't be near the person when they wore them cause it smelled so bad. So if you do get some, wash them often!!

I saw some of these at Academy and wondered about this. I guess you could buy those silly toes socks to cut down on the smell? lol
  • EDubsMom
    EDubsMom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've heard nothing but great things! A good friend swears by them, although said they really hurt in the beginning. After some "break-in" time though (about a week, or five runs), they became "amazing." Good luck!! :)
  • jrlitt76
    jrlitt76 Posts: 52
    Options
    thanks everyone for the input!! I think the consistent mesage is to take it slow and break them into slowly so your feet can adjust, and apparently to wash them!! :laugh: