Guys, Cardio or Weights?

Options
Question for the guys. When trying to lose a large amount of weight, do you do all cardio, all weight lifting, or a combo of both? Currently I'm doing only cardio but I'm considering adding some lifting in hopes to jump start things a little.

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Strength training. If you go circuit style your ticker will get all the work it needs. With a lot of weight to use I'd try low carb too.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Question for the guys. When trying to lose a large amount of weight, do you do all cardio, all weight lifting, or a combo of both? Currently I'm doing only cardio but I'm considering adding some lifting in hopes to jump start things a little.

Both is best. They don't have to be done on the same day either. I alternate my strength training with my cardio workouts.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    Both, but do some research about it to fine tune your program to your goals and find what works best for you. I generally warm up on the stationary, lift for about 30-45, and then run for 15-20.

You'll add muscle and lose fat that way.
  • williamev1999
    Options
    You need to incorporate both weights and cardio, I typically do weights first then a High Intense Cardio interval training. I have loss 36 lbs since Jan.

also you must have a good diet.

Thanks
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Not a guy but I say weights. Throw in a couple of cardio days too. Women lose muscle mass with cardio (dieting causes it too) and I'm assuming that also applies to men. Heavy weights will build muscle and that will raise your metabolism. Higher metabolism means more fat burning during rest, normal daily activity and even sleeping. We are burning fat at rest.

and moderate intensity burns more fat but higher intensity exercise burns more calories overall. The burn could have a lower percentage of fat but still burn more fat calories. I like HIITs because you can get a high burn in a shorter amount of time.

You will need to consume more calories for this. You have to be supplying plenty of fuel so your workouts won't have a detrimental effect.

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPAdaptation.html

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPTenkeys.html
  • BrandonMB
    BrandonMB Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Erick is right, doing both is best. The reason being that doing cardio (preferrably lower intensity, at around 75% to 80%) is great for fat burning. More effort level than that and you end up in anaerobic exercise rather than aerobic, and your body isn't burning fat anymore. The reason for the strength and resistance training is that type of training builds lean muscle, which uses more calories and increases the efficiency of your cardio workouts.
  • dlindsay524
    Options
    Both is always good, as was just said I normally jog/run the treadmill to get my heart rate up and then lift the rest of the workout, it can get pretty intense but definitely worth it.
  • rider797
    rider797 Posts: 52
    Options
    Do both. Weight lifting builds muscle. Muscle burns off more calories quicker. You might not be able to see the results of the weight lifting until you lose the weight, but it will make it go quicker. It also boosts your metabolism. Also when you are doing cardio, walking actually burns more fat then running does! Just a little tip to keep in mind! There are many programs out there to help you with your progress. If you need more help just message me and I will be glad to help you!

Cheers Rider
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I was just doing cardio. I was hiking a lot and that burned some awesome calories for me. I did eventually add in some weight training to help strengthen my upper body. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so it's beneficial to do both.
  • wrn1979
    wrn1979 Posts: 27
    Options
    Do your cardio WITH weights. Heavy complexes will kill your cardiovascular system.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the responses. This has definitely motivated me to get the weights involved in my workout routines.
  • ZachyABaby
    Options
    bodybuilding.com has a TON of great articles about different programs. some are for power lifters (not where you want to go) so just make sure you read the whole article because they'll say whether it fits your goals or not.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I love weights! I also love cardio so it's a struggle, because I can't decide what to dedicate it to each day.. Sometimes I in cooperate say 80% weights and a final 20% cardio for finishing(I have learned for me in particular I cannot do cardio first).

I use to do JUST cardio when I was 17 or whatever, but I was so weak.. I remember this day distinctly. I was vacuuming my room, and I couldn't move my damned dresser. I had to ask my dad to help me. FF to a few years later when I did in cooperate weights; I can move it and almost anything else(I am stronger than my dad and mother combined). Also you feel fantastic after weights and your body gets a great composition from it. They go hand in hand IMO.

Let us know how your journey goes with weights :)

A good site I reference to is http://forum.bodybuilding.com/?welcome=true BodyBuilding site - it's for BB's and novices alone. They have forums on equipment, exercises, diet and everything. Even scope out Youtube for exercises and instructional videos.

If you go to the gym check out Personal Trainers, try a session gain insight on how/what body parts to work, when and why.

Good luck!
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Heyy ya beat me to the BB site! Haha :)
  • ZachyABaby
    Options
    Man BB is such a wealth of knowledge. I actually found a supp site that sells for less recently, though.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I like to incorporate both at the same time. For example, I do 2-3 sets of 2-3 strength training moves, then go to the treadmill (or your favorite cardio tool) and do a 5 minute sprint. Then back to another set of 2-3 sets of 2-3 exercises, then back to the TM for another sprint or HIIT mile, then finish up with core. Great workout in about 35 minutes.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Erick is right, doing both is best. The reason being that doing cardio (preferrably lower intensity, at around 75% to 80%) is great for fat burning. More effort level than that and you end up in anaerobic exercise rather than aerobic, and your body isn't burning fat anymore. The reason for the strength and resistance training is that type of training builds lean muscle, which uses more calories and increases the efficiency of your cardio workouts.

The amount of fuel from fat(in grams) changes very little no matter the heart rate. http://www.myfooddiary.com/resources/ask_the_expert/fat-burning_zone_myth.asp so yeah, intense prolonged cardio is pointless for most of us.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I always thought of it as this... (and this is a simplistic view)

Weights build muscle, cardio engages those muscles to burn fat.

Therefore, the more muscle you have, the more fat the cardio will burn.

Do both.

An added side bonus is that It will confuse your system and make it harder to plateau.