http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/overtraining/a/aa062499a.htm

"Common Warning Signs and Symptoms of Overtraining Syndrome

* Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy
* Mild leg soreness, general aches and pains
* Pain in muscles and joints
* Sudden drop in performance
* Insomnia
* Headaches
* Decreased immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats)
* Decrease in training capacity / intensity
* Moodiness and irritability
* Depression
* Loss of enthusiasm for the sport
* Decreased appetite
* Increased incidence of injuries.
* A compulsive need to exercise "

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Errr. Yes. To just about all of those!
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • mandapanda001
    mandapanda001 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those tips, been feeling some of those but I have backed off on all the activities I was doing!! Take care :-)
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much...had no idea!:flowerforyou:
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/overtraining/a/aa062499a.htm

"Common Warning Signs and Symptoms of Overtraining Syndrome

* Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy
    * Mild leg soreness, general aches and pains
    * Pain in muscles and joints
    * Sudden drop in performance
    * Insomnia
    * Headaches
    * Decreased immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats)
    * Decrease in training capacity / intensity
    * Moodiness and irritability
    * Depression
    * Loss of enthusiasm for the sport
    * Decreased appetite
    * Increased incidence of injuries.
    * A compulsive need to exercise "

wow I think I experienced just about all of this 2 wks ago - I make it a point to have a rest day. I completely get it now :wink:
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this! This helped me a lot. I'm taking a rest week, only because I'm sick though.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Wow, that list is disturbing.

But I felt most of those my first week to week and 1/2 of starting my current program.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kellyr107
    Kellyr107 Posts: 43
    Options
    Today is my day of rest and I am already anxious over it. I might take a little walk.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Well now I have about 6 of those....Whats that mean???????:grumble:
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Today is my day of rest and I am already anxious over it. I might take a little walk.

Oh my goodness right!!!Thats me
  • wrn1979
    wrn1979 Posts: 27
    Options
    That's a list of symptoms that everyone goes through from time to time. It's a LOT harder to "over train" than most people think.

That list sounds like the list of side-effects you see on medication commercials, complete overkill.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Rest is as important to weight loss/training goals as any other factor, probably even more for some goals. It really sucks when overtraining hit's you full force and you lose ton's of muscle, are sick, debilitated, depressed, etc.. Been there once, never again. Tough lesson to learn. I suppose I should have mentioned over reaching too so here y'all go.

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/How_to_Tell_When_You_re_Over-Reaching_or_Over-Training.htm
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Been there...took a week off and started back at a less intense pace.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    That's a list of symptoms that everyone goes through from time to time. It's a LOT harder to "over train" than most people think.

That list sounds like the list of side-effects you see on medication commercials, complete overkill.

Ignore it and see what happens. i suppose you are a Phd that has some irrefutable info that makes every other training professional wrong.

It is not hard to over train at all. You see it all the time and it's the cause of many peoples failures and off the wagon episodes. It's horrible stress on the body
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

Over training it not "a LOT harder" than most people think. It is very easy to over train and cause your progress to be hindered. It is not something that happens very often when a person it just starting out because they are so un-fit that their body is going to be in shock pretty much no matter what they do. After they get into some sort of fit state, the obsessive exercise some do can quickly result in overtraining especially if they are always pushing as hard as they can. I have over trained in the past, and currently am getting close to it again, hence I am incorporating more rest days and changing up the type of exercise I do to allow things to strengthen.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Wow!

I didn't get the impression that he was disputing the list, just saying that it may have been overstated.

Let's remember that "A LOT harder" and "EASY to do" are both subjective terms.
  • lisablueeyes
    lisablueeyes Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Huh!!! I never thought I over train!!! I really think these symptons are something everyone may experienced over time. Due to their every day ho- hum......
  • MuseumMonkey
    Options
    I think it's pretty common to experience some of these things in the couple of weeks after starting to exercise.

I remember when I was taking karate, that was only 1-1.5 hours twice a week. Most of those years I took a break over the summer, and when I came back in September the first week or two would be good and the third would be pretty awful. Then it would get easier again after a couple more weeks. I doubt I was overtraining but that third week I did feel washed-out, achey, and lacked enthusiasm and performance. By week 5 those feelings were pretty much gone.

The lengths of time are a little different but I go through something similar every fall, when going back to school means going back to the gym. And that's anything between 40 and 90 minutes three times a week...

I'm not totally inactive the rest of the time--there are often also doggie walks and Wii Fit, and the occasional day of skiing, swimming or cycling. At school I probably spend about half an hour a day walking, carrying a pretty heavy backpack. When weather permits I often walk to work, and my job is one that keeps me on my feet.

I think this needs some qualifications. A lot of those symptoms could have other causes. How about adding "If you feel this way for more than (a week? Two weeks?) you may be overtraining"?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Excessive laziness has the same symptoms, how weird is that!