Last minute water weight shed

Options
I'm sure I'm going to get a bunch of people replying that I'm not being "healthy" and that I shouldn't do what I'm asking, but before you post something like that, please read my whole post or better yet read my profile, it might inspire you.
I'm heading toward the end of a 12 week weight loss challenge and I found out that I am in the running to win. If I do win, it's worth a years membership to my gym. Since January I have been pretty steadily losing 1-2 pounds a week and what I'm looking for is a way to either lose some water weight and or shed some extra pounds quickly (the night or evening before the weigh-in). Every little bit will count, and I'd hate to lose by a pound or two that I could have shed. Maybe some would consider it cheating, but I say it's no different than what boxers, wrestlers or UFC fighters do every day to make weight for fights/bouts. I'm not looking for a pill or something that could make me sick just a good natural way to get rid of every last possible ounce. I've never had to "cut" weight like a fighter, but I know it can be done. Once I'm done with the challenge, back to my regular diet and exercise the good ole fashioned way.
So to sum up, how can I "cut" some weight quickly, say within 24hrs or less before my weigh-in?

Replies

• frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Enema.

That'll clean you right out
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Well, there are water pills that you can take called Diurex that are suppost to help you get rid of water weight. You can buy them over the counter just about anywhere! I think they take a little longer than 24 hours though, something you might want to look into! :) They don't make you sick or anything, just cleans your system. I've taken them before years ago and it's nothing major!
  • IKnowICan
    IKnowICan Posts: 86
    Options
    I googled for you:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2060389_lose-water-weight.html

Hope you win :drinker: :glasses: :flowerforyou:
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Cutting weight for a fight or something is usually just water weight.
    http://www.grapplearts.com/How-to-Cut-Weight.html

^pretty much sums it up and yeah it isn't the healthiest thing to do. Don't push too much and definitely take it easy while you are in that dehydrated state.
  • moriah87
    moriah87 Posts: 27
    Options
    haha, enema. definately.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    The first article said drink tons of water.

The second article said drink nothing for up to 24 hours.

Interesting.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    That is interesting and both are semi right. Here is a much more detailed approach. I haven't had to do it for quite awhile, but it does suck.
    http://www.myfightdream.com/?p=351
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    That is interesting and both are semi right. Here is a much more detailed approach. I haven't had to do it for quite awhile, but it does suck.
    http://www.myfightdream.com/?p=351
    Thanks for this, good find. I think I may use this approach. Hmmm, enema, may not need that after drinking 2 gal/day.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I understand that it would suck to lose to someone who lost 1 or 2 lbs more than you, but at least they earned it. Put yourself in their shoes. Imagine if you lost all your weight the regular way but someone who loss less than you but ate next to nothing and sweated like a pig for 36hours just edges ahead of you. That would be an even worst way to lose.

It wouldn`t be a very noble way to win. Kind of unsportsmanlike. Maybe you should send a email to the people in the competion and pitch the idea to them. Would you feel confortable telling them what your intentions are? do you plan on comming clean to them after the competion or keeping it secret?
  • Jhethro
    Jhethro Posts: 25
    Options
    Drink a lot of water upwards of a gallon or more a day all the way up till 24 hours prior to the weigh-in. Then about 12 -18 hours before the weigh-in cut out all water. There is a substance called magnesium nitrate that will clean you out. If possible find a sauna and sit in it. 20 - 30 minutes few times throughout the day. I have powerlifters that have to cut weight frequently, and these are the most successful ways we have done it. Other than the laxative part. And remember - IF YOU AIN'T CHEATING YOU AIN'T TRYING!
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    I wouldn't do the enema. I think just watching your salt and upping your water. That's a fair way to drop some weight IMO.
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I didn't have time to read the above links, so I am not sure if this has been covered or not. My brother used to wrestle and to ensure he was in a certain weight class, he used to run with a garbage bag on (or non breathing rain coat). I never understood the value of that. I would think that you would sweat the same, but that you would just trap it, in non-breathable fabric. Anyway, it was always effective for him.....

Be very careful fasting and rehydrating quickly can be dangerous,....
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    By any means possible! You go. I have no answer for you but I hope you win.
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I didn't have time to read the above links, so I am not sure if this has been covered or not. My brother used to wrestle and to ensure he was in a certain weight class, he used to run with a garbage bag on (or non breathing rain coat). I never understood the value of that. I would think that you would sweat the same, but that you would just trap it, in non-breathable fabric. Anyway, it was always effective for him.....

Be very careful fasting and rehydrating quickly can be dangerous,....
    My husband used to wrestle in high-school and he did this...he said it always worked..good luck!
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I understand that it would suck to lose to someone who lost 1 or 2 lbs more than you, but at least they earned it. Put yourself in their shoes. Imagine if you lost all your weight the regular way but someone who loss less than you but ate next to nothing and sweated like a pig for 36hours just edges ahead of you. That would be an even worst way to lose.

It wouldn`t be a very noble way to win. Kind of unsportsmanlike. Maybe you should send a email to the people in the competion and pitch the idea to them. Would you feel confortable telling them what your intentions are? do you plan on comming clean to them after the competion or keeping it secret?

I say that if you are in a compition go for it. That is the entire point right?? To win! The other people in it have the same option that you do. I have been in different compitions since I started my weigh loss journey. Just finished my fifth on. I have placed in 4 out of 5. Twice getting 1st. i have lost 70 + lbs and gained about $1700 :) Its all about the game play when you are in a compition even on shows like "The Biggest Loser". I'm just glad I can play the game and get healthy at the same time!! That is a bonus!! So good luck hope you win!!
  • armywife121110
    Options
    My husband had to lose 5 lbs before a free style wrestling match he needed to attend. I remembering him putting on LAYERS of clothes the night before and working out. He also didn't eat 12 hours before the match but he lost his five lbs.

I don't consider this cheating in any way, I believe it is the smart thing to do and who's not to say the other guys arent doing the same thing!!

Good luck!!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I would suggest drinking lemon water - it is a great diuretic, plus you're still drinking water. Also asparagus is a natural diuretic and will help flush out excess water. Eat very low sodium for 48 hours before the weigh in and lots and lots of veggies. I would suggest limiting or cutting out the grain carbs and potato carbs. That would be at least reasonably healthy and still help flush out extra water. Must my $.02. Good luck! Hope you win :drinker:
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

I say that if you are in a compition go for it. That is the entire point right?? To win! The other people in it have the same option that you do. I have been in different compitions since I started my weigh loss journey. Just finished my fifth on. I have placed in 4 out of 5. Twice getting 1st. i have lost 70 + lbs and gained about $1700 :) Its all about the game play when you are in a compition even on shows like "The Biggest Loser". I'm just glad I can play the game and get healthy at the same time!! That is a bonus!! So good luck hope you win!!

Thanks to both of you for the different opinions. I have to say, I don't and won't feel guilty because I HAVE been in the gym 5-6 days a week sweating my @$$ off and working hard. I have been eating healthy and dropping weight in a very good clean way up to this point. I honestly have no problem telling someone that I cut some water weight the last day or so, nothing stopping them from doing the same thing, I'm sure they aren't going to go out and have pizza and beer the night before their last weigh-in. Now, I probably would feel guilty if I had been taking diet pills the whole time and being unhealthy about the whole weight loss thing, but I'm not, so I don't.
    I didn't really feel as though I had a lot of weight to lose, compared to some of the other people there, so I didn't really even think I had a chance to begin with. But since I have been working hard and staying at it, I'm in the running and it would be great to have something to show for all my hard work. And if I don't win, I'm okay with that, I have a lot of good new eating habits to live by and a stronger, more healthy body to show for my hard work in either case.
  • IKnowICan
    IKnowICan Posts: 86
    Options

Thanks to both of you for the different opinions. I have to say, I don't and won't feel guilty because I HAVE been in the gym 5-6 days a week sweating my @$$ off and working hard. I have been eating healthy and dropping weight in a very good clean way up to this point. I honestly have no problem telling someone that I cut some water weight the last day or so, nothing stopping them from doing the same thing, I'm sure they aren't going to go out and have pizza and beer the night before their last weigh-in. Now, I probably would feel guilty if I had been taking diet pills the whole time and being unhealthy about the whole weight loss thing, but I'm not, so I don't.
    I didn't really feel as though I had a lot of weight to lose, compared to some of the other people there, so I didn't really even think I had a chance to begin with. But since I have been working hard and staying at it, I'm in the running and it would be great to have something to show for all my hard work. And if I don't win, I'm okay with that, I have a lot of good new eating habits to live by and a stronger, more healthy body to show for my hard work in either case.

Maybe the "other guys" are doing the same thing lol... Hope you WIN!
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    Biggest loser contestants don't drink water for 24 hour before weigh in per one contestant If that helps.