ZUMBA

Options
I've heard so many good things about ZUMBA, and I think I'm going to try a class tonight. But I'm a little worried about my coordination, and looking like an idiot.

Can anyone give me some advice or let me know if I'll be ok doing it, even if I might not be the best dancer?

Replies

• bellisima6
    bellisima6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Jut be yourself and have fun with it, don't stop even if you are not able to follow. Just keep on dancing.

5872218.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • scumbelina
    Options
    i went to my second zumba class last night and i love it!! was really nervous last week going for the first time, but the instructor was brilliant and so encouraging, just go at your own pace, if you need a drink just have one. you'll find that you forget about your worries as you're having to much fun and trying to keep up haha just give it a go, the worst thatll happen is you dont like it, but im sure youll love it!
  • leannemr
    leannemr Posts: 48
    Options
    I have just started it and it is fast and can be quite difficult to keep up with. Just make sure you can clearly see the instructor to try and follow it. Don't make the mistake I did and stand behind everyone at the back of the class because you think you are going to look like a plum - you'll end up following the person in front who probably has less coordination that you!!
    The class I go to is very relaxed and everyone just has fun with it. Quite a few are uncoordinated so you won't be on your own!!

Enjoy - its great fun and the music is fab!!!
  • leafyq
    leafyq Posts: 21
    Options
    No one will notice your coordination. Everyone in the class, even the ones who have been going for ages, is going to be concentrating on getting it right themselves.
    There will probably be moves you feel like you can't even attempt at first. During those times, just keep moving!
    I was very nervous my first time going, but then I got into it and realized that it is really a very low-pressure situation.
  • michelle277
    Options
    Zumba is great! I love it! I do it at home and in a class. It doesn't matter if you get all of the steps (most people in the class won't either), it's just about the energy and burning calories. As long as you try your best at the routine, you will have a ton of fun and burn LOTS of calories! Enjoy! :)
  • soccerlyss08
    soccerlyss08 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone. I feel relieved now. And excited!
  • HDurow1018
    HDurow1018 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that I love it, too! It is SO fun and once you get into it, you don't even worry about what you look like or if your doing everything correctly. But I do agree with someone who said not to stand in the back...make sure you can see the instructor and give yourself room to move :)
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone, just have fun! My advice is don't worry about every body part right away. I try to just get my feet doing the right steps with a new song, then when I've got that I try to get my arms too. People are having way too much fun to worry if you miss a few moves. Honestly I am relieved when I see someone mess up because then I'm not the only one! Although usually I don't notice because I am so focused on getting it right myself! I also like my class because there is a variety of people of all ages and sizes so I think we all feel more comfortable.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    go and have fun! dont worry about coordinating! you will sweat and you will giggle and you will have fun whilst exercising! which is a rarity!
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    like everyone else has said just go and have fun , i look like a pigmy hippo trying to wriggle when i go but i dont care its fun and i enjoy it :) to begin with i was really self concious but now i dont care im having too much fun
  • mponeil1982
    Options
    You'll love it! Don't get discouraged with it either! I'm a Zumba instructor and ALWAYS tell new people to my class you HAVE to go at least 3 times before you judge if you like it or not. Each class gets easier!
  • nicoleromano
    Options
    zumba is the best. just keep dancing and attempt to do the moves and for sure you will have an amazing workout!
  • soccerlyss08
    Options
    OK so I went tonight for the first time, and it was great! Of course, I thought I sucked and felt uncoordinated, but I had fun! I'll definitely go back and try to do it regularly so I can really pick up on the moves. I really loved it!
  • lvitori
    lvitori Posts: 1
    Options
    Zumba is awesome!! I was so worried about what other people were going to think because I am NOT very cordinated at ALL! No one even pays attention to you because they are all watching the instructor! Go for it! You'll love it!
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    OK so I went tonight for the first time, and it was great! Of course, I thought I sucked and felt uncoordinated, but I had fun! I'll definitely go back and try to do it regularly so I can really pick up on the moves. I really loved it!

So glad you liked it :) That hour always seems to fly by because we are always having so much fun!
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    You'll love it! Don't get discouraged with it either! I'm a Zumba instructor and ALWAYS tell new people to my class you HAVE to go at least 3 times before you judge if you like it or not. Each class gets easier!

Funny you mentioned this Michael...just tonight, a lady came up and said "I've been here 4 times and I still don't know all the steps, but ti doesn't matter because I'm hooked!!" lol!!! Hard not to get hooked ;)
  • trosado
    trosado Posts: 2
    Options
    hey I love Zumba and trust me if u dont have any coordination u wont be alone! the steps can go pretty fast but with the right instructor youll get them down good. i did a few zumba classes at a gym where mostly older like 50-60s women go to and it kicked my *kitten*. i go the class at my gym with a younger instructor and im bored lol.. still super fun do it a few classes and youll get all the moves down! good luck
  • soccerlyss08
    Options
    The next class isn't until Tuesday, I don't wanna wait that long to do it again! haha