How Annoying!!!

Options
I went to the grocery yesterday because I was running out of the healthy stuff my body needs...minus the junk food my husband eats at home here lol. Anyhow I know that healthy food is expensive compared most foods...however it REALLLY annoyed me to see fish, avocados, nuts, etc very over priced.

It just annoys me that our government wants to fix the obesity in this country but allows companies to overcharge us. They should allow healthy foods to be cheaper so everyone can live a happy and healthier lifestyle. Its common sense but they dont give a d*** about us. Ugh venting over how much I had to spend :/ Anyone feel the same?

Replies

• Keyra89
    Keyra89 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i agree which is why i tend to shop in the more expensive grocery stores
    i mostly shop at walmart or price rite or aldis cause produce is cheaper
    but i agree they do over charge even for locally grown fruits and veggies which i don't get
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I went to the grocery yesterday because I was running out of the healthy stuff my body needs...minus the junk food my husband eats at home here lol. Anyhow I know that healthy food is expensive compared most foods...however it REALLLY annoyed me to see fish, avocados, nuts, etc very over priced.

It just annoys me that our government wants to fix the obesity in this country but allows companies to overcharge us. They should allow healthy foods to be cheaper so everyone can live a happy and healthier lifestyle. Its common sense but they dont give a d*** about us. Ugh venting over how much I had to spend :/ Anyone feel the same?

I totally understand! I am trying to feed my whole family on one income and its very difficult to buy food AND have a roof over our heads.
  • Boooie
    Boooie Posts: 110
    Options
    I totally agree, you can go in some supermarkets and buy a bar of there cheap chocolate for less than what you can by an apple for. Maybe if healthier food was cheaper more people would eat it :)
  • Robyn1733
    Robyn1733 Posts: 58
    Options
    I completely agree with you. i try to find tricks to get what is needed at lower costs. We buy meat that has the reduced yellow sticker on it and just freeze it. I shop for produce at Aldi's, and only buy what is in season. looking forward to this summer when we can grow our own stuff.
  • Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    There is a solution! We need to bring back farmers!!!!! If you live near a farmers market, not only is there produce cheaper, its also usually free of pesticides and organic. If you live in a rural or even slightly rural area (even a back yard) then grow your own!!! :) It takes some work but definately possible.
  • NRitzman
    NRitzman Posts: 2
    Options
    Reality is that the foods you listed as healthy cost much more to get to market, hence their higher prices. It doesn't take much to make a bag of chips and get it on the shelf, but fresh food is much more costly to raise, procure and get into your hands while still in good shape. I for sure do not want the government to subsidize healthy food manufacturers/distributors/farmers.

On the other hand, I for sure empathize with you on how much more expensive it is to eat healthy. I may be eating less now, but fresher and less processed foods sure are a lot more expensive than casseroles or hamburgers, etc. Plus I too have people in the house that are more able to eat the junk foods - just unfair! ... I know, we just need to vent this stuff.
  • tmdugger
    tmdugger Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Its not that they are overpriced...Junk is cheap because corn a key ingredient in junk is subsidized. If the government wasn't picking up the tab for excess corn junk food would actually be much more expensive than nonprocessed food
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    I find that shopping for healthy foods at Whole Foods is actually cheaper than shopping for healthy foods at a regular chain grocery store like krogers or wal mart. But think of it this way... spending more money on good food will save you money on medical bills later... but i agree its very annoying...
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Its not that they are overpriced...Junk is cheap because corn a key ingredient in junk is subsidized. If the government wasn't picking up the tab for excess corn junk food would actually be much more expensive than nonprocessed food

exactly... its just the illusion of cheap
  • Akras211
    Akras211 Posts: 9
    Options

Bingo. And we pay the price for the subsidies with our tax dollars, so you are paying for that junk whether you buy it at the store or not. Tell your representatives how you feel, then go to the farmer's market for some less expensive produce that has a smaller carbon footprint and keeps your dollars in your community. My market has whole sale produce one day a week. I've bought things like 25 lbs romas for $18, 15lbs of jalapenos for $12, a 20 lb bag of onions for $8, a case of blueberries for $24, etc. I get all my produce for canning from there. See if a market in your area has something like that. If you have a small yard or a place for some containers, grow what you can. If you have neighbors who garden or would like to garden, grow different things and trade.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Yes I understand its more expensive to grow the healthier foods but its just annoying to pay the price. I know bulk can help and also whole food markets. I just need to grow my own veggies or look harder elsewhere
  • lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to planting a garden this year! Stores do charge a lot for fresh produce so why not grow my own? I tried two years ago but I planted way too late so I didnt really end up with very much. But this year I plan on planting some tomatoes for sure bc I love garden tomatoes and probably some peppers and some herbs. I dont have a very big backyard so I can't plant too much plus I have to do it somewhere where my dog with not get into it! Anyone else planting a garden this year? Any tips or hints to a successful garden?