Injured weight loss

Options
Hi all, I had a quick search and didn't find anything that relevant to my subject.

I injured myself early last month and that was when I decided to take MFP. I'm currently waiting for an operation (knee injury) and there is very little exercise I can do except walk.

Dispite this, I still find I'm losing weight, albeit very little amounts, 1lb every 2 weeks, maybe 1lb every week if I'm lucky. So have you guys experienced anything like this and is there any advice you can give me?

Replies

• ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, with the way that MFP is set up, even if you don't exercise AT ALL, but you stay below your allotted caloric intake, you will continue to lose weight! They have set up the program so that exercise is a "bonus", and calculated your necessary deficits accordingly.

Obviously exercise is extremely important for OTHER health reasons besides just weight loss, but as long as you stick to the program that MFP has set up, you'll be fine and your weight loss should continue, despite not exercising a great deal. Just do what you can!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!Sorry to hear about your injury.I myself just had knee surgery a month ago.While waiting for surgery I couldn`t even do and cardio ex.I concentrated on my diet.I`m loosing very little,but I know when I get back to ex the wt will come off faster.Can you swim?I know that`s good for the joints.
    Just want to wish you luck.
    Take care
    jane
  • MrsB81
    MrsB81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Me too! Dislocated my knee on the 28th Feb. Have been at home since, seeing a surgeon tomorrow.

I decided that instead of stuffing my face for comfort and to stop boredom I would take a proactive stance. Joined MFP and have lost 6 pounds so far.

I am on crutches so exercise is limited but lugging myself around on them must be burning something!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Google seated exersies and seated cardio options. I have worked with client that have knee problems or have had surgrery. Biking will be you best bet as well
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I was just watching a video the other day of a woman in a wheel chair who did the entire P90X program all from her wheelchair. She and her husband found ways to modify it for her and she did great!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your injury....Knee injuries and leg injuries in general often put a damper on peoples training and exercise regimens.

Have you considered other forms of exercise to supplement?

I once met a fellow who sprained his knee rather badly while training for a marathon. Rather than sit back and wait for it to heal, he started doing resistance exercises and some mild swimming type exercises.

He was still able to lift weights, do barbell curls, chest presses etc, and he found he could get a great deal of exercise simply by treading water (without using his bad leg).

He also picked up a bicycle like contraption that used his arms to pedal.

Hope it gives you some ideas.

Get well soon!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Try getting some weights and doing some arm exersizes either lying on the floor or sitting on the couch... that will build muscle which will help with your metabolism, and in turn help you burn more calories!
  • sellwin90
    Options
    Thanks all, unfortunatley due to the nature of my injury I can't fully straighten my leg (cartilage tear) and I can't fully bend my leg (ruptured ACL) so obviously there is limited movement so pretty much all cardio exercises (swimming, biking etc) apart from walking have gone out the window.

I really want to get back in to the gym as I was reasonably fit before hand and use upper body for the work I do but the problem I have is getting to the gym as I can't drive and the bus service near me is terrible.

None the less I shall still be attempting to stay under my calorie goal and with the operation soonish (here's hoping) I'll be able to do more after that. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Try using a couple of large cans or pop bottles instead of weights.

They may not be all that heavy, but after you do 200 arm curls with a 2 litre pop bottle, you'll feel a little burn.