STAY AT HOME MOM WEIGHT LOSS

Options
Hey guys, I'm new to the site and am a stay at home mom. I was wondering if any other stay at home moms with young kids are on here that can give me some tips/pointers on finding time for "me". We are from a very small rural community so there are no gyms/fitness centers around here at all. My husband is a farmer/rancher so I am full time with the kids by myself most of the day until supper time!

Replies

• weedle11
    weedle11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also a stay at home mom. I have 5 kids (12, 10, 3, 2 and 8 months) I workout during naptime or right before bed when my kids are all in bed. I didn't think I had time to workout before but I made time. I have lost 23 pounds in 9 weeks. I workout 6 times a week for at least 30 minutes (at home). I do The biggest loser Cardio Max and power sculpt dvd and Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I switch the last 2 up. It is hard but it can be done! Good luck!
  • sm26davis
    sm26davis Posts: 52
    Options
    Im also a stay at home mom with a 6 month old! What has been working for me for that last week is I try to do mommy time while my baby sleeps, but this is new for her like a week. Before I would have to hold her to get her to take any sort of a nap! I try to do my workout durring that time. Add me if you want to!
  • dthompson9405
    Options
    yeah im a stay at home mom too, its hard to find the balance. especially when the kids are little
  • southa77
    southa77 Posts: 12
    Options
    I run a small home daycare and find it hard sometimes to exercise when I am working full time, if you have stairs in your house try taking 5-10 minutes at a time and go up and down the stairs, 5 minutes of stairs burns about 72 calories. I do 5 minutes three times a day. Something else if you have a Wii is the Wii Fit, I have two teenage boys and they love doing the exercises with me, there is stuff on there for anyone. Zumba dance is also a good workout. Good Luck!

Alicia
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I'm a SAHM with one child, 21 months, and one on the way due in June. I'm lucky to have a good napper so I can get me time when he goes down. But he's also really good in a stroller and pushing him is hard work! You just have to do it, I know it's hard but you have to take a few minutes for yourself, even if it's before the kids get up or after they go to bed. And there are tons of workout dvds that are great, it just depends on what you like to do. Any of the biggest loser/ Jillian Michaels videos are great. I have those and some free weights. I also invested in my own treadmill and elliptical because I knew it would be cheaper than finding a gym and someone to watch two kids. Hope this helps some!
  • jmhigg1020
    jmhigg1020 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have two little ones myself...well, they are working on not being so little (6 and 5). I would exercise with the kids - not so much formal exercising, but more fun stuff to burn calories. For example, playing music and dancing around before lunch. They would get tired, fill up their tummies, and take a nap! I would also do squats with them between my feet and tickle them on the way down. They loved it when I did "presses" with them - we played lots of up and down games. Now that they are a little bigger, they like to sit on my feet while I lift them up - great for the abs and quads. Another great thing for your abs - laughing at the funny things they do until you cry and/or snort....works every time and releases endorphins! Hope this helps - good luck!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    except for the farm, same here. i dont go to a gym because of money and how monotonous, if thats how you spell it, it is. personally i walk with the 2 year old around here, of course chase him around, but what really helps me is this dvd collection i found, zumba. there are 2 workouts on there that are 20 minutes each, so if you have that time, thats great. it gets every part of your body going, and includes these shakey weights that are so much fun. i personally fix food for me and make sure the little one is there eating with me and the same thing, so that way, he usually is, more hungry, he steals food off my plate. if there is a favorite show of theres, i pop in a dvd, or caillou, blah, and if they are acting nuts, i walk around the house. just from the kitchen to the bedroom and keep walking around. get a pedometer. walk 10000 steps a day, thats what recommended. if you need a friend, go ahead and friend me, and great luck to you
  • katalak
    katalak Posts: 5
    Options
    I bought my daughter a kiddie coupe car (one of those red and yellow things with a door that they get in and then use their feet to move around...well, I had my daughter put her feet up out the front window and just chill while i walked in front of it with my arm stretched back behind me pulling it...I would twirl it around, go side to side, look at flowers growing and decorations in yard 3 blocks over that I wouldn't have otherwise gotten to enjoy really noticing...takin time to smell the roses you could say and burning calories at the same time and then I would do that for like at least an hour around 3 o'clock and then come in and get a turkey and ham sandwich with lite mayo and lettuce and tomatoes and 6 pretzels or carrots and a 100 cal snack if I wanted and drink 16 oz of water and 8 more later and then I wouldn't eat anything else for the day...nothing after 7ish!!!!!! I lost 50 lbs in 3 months. Best of luck and I so totally understand the small town and no local gyms!!

Kat
  • Log_n_Jog
    Log_n_Jog Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi! My husband and I made up a schedule: M-W-F after dinner. The schedule helps me plan out and keep my exercise “appointments” as well as gives my husband some one-on-one time with our daughter before her bedtime. It has worked out really well for our family so far. :)
  • SamanthaSteg
    SamanthaSteg Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    SAHM mom here too. I have two kids in school, aged 7 and 6, and a ten month old. I have to tell you, the only way I have found the time for me and working out is to wake up before everyone else. I wake up at 5 and exercise for about an hour to an hour and a half, have my shower, get ready, and then when that's all done the kids are waking up (around 7) and it's time to start the day. It definitely was not fun at first, and I often felt like it wasn't fair and why am I even doing it, but it's been a few months now and I have to say I really enjoy it!

I'm fully awake by the time my kids wake up, so I'm not cranky and tired like I used to be. I am seeing results in my weight and body because I'm exercising regularly. I find I make better choices throughout the day food wise because I don't want the fact that I woke up at 5 to exercise to go to waste. I found if I waited for my baby to nap, I was anxious because I never knew if he would nap long enough for me to finish, or if he would even nap at all!

You definitely have to find what works best for you, but this routine I have made for myself really does work for me. Hope you find your balance soon!
  • JanFan
    JanFan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much for your feedback, I very much appreciate it! I think I need to try getting up earlier and getting a workout in before the rest of the house wakes up! I know it will be hard for me to get used to, but this way it will be over before the day starts! Reading all these posts already has me motivated even more! Thanks guys!
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom too! We actually tried a gym membership for a few months, but it was pricey and honestly it was just a lot of work getting myself ready and the kids ready just to go to the gym. So, in January I started a Beachbody program, ChaLEAN Extreme, which allows me to work out at home (I do it during naptime!) and I LOVE it! I've had great success using it. You have to be disciplined working out at home on your own, but it can be done. And MFP is a great way to stay motivated too! If you have any more questions about the program shoot me a message!
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am also a SAHM to two kids. While I have a gym membership I also workout at home. I try and fit in a workout DVD or a run or walk either before the kids get up or after they go to bed. I have also found I can sometimes do it at nap time. The best thing is to figure out when your "down time" is and just do it. Can the older kids do some sort of activity while you do a DVD workout? I like the Tracey Anderson Mat Workout as well as the Beach Body ones.
  • Maurey
    Maurey Posts: 44
    Options
    I am a SAHM to 3 children (4 1/2, 3, 1) and i try to fit in a work-out before the wake in the morning, or when the go for nap time/ quiet time), i usually end up using the treadmill for 45 to 60 minutes. Now that it has been getting nicer out i try to pack all the kids up and go for long walks around the community. We try to hit a few parks on the way so they don't get bored.