I just can't help myself

Options
I know you're not supposed to get on the scale everyday, but since I started all this last week for real, I just can't help it. The instant gratification of seeing the number go down on a daily basis is a constant reminder and motivator that this IS working, and not to give up. Right now it's still a day to day thing, and I think it always will be, so if I get on the scale in the morning and it says "Good Job" (not really, you know what I mean) then I feel positive for the rest of the day. Sunday is my "weigh-in" day officially, but since last Thursday (my start date), just 1 week ago, I am down 4.2lbs and it feels great!

Anyone else guilty of scale stalking? :happy:

Replies

• halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I totally am guilty. I always say...I won't weigh until Tuesday, but then I find myself on that scale almost every day...at least every other day. Tuesday is my official weigh in though, and that's what I chart...But, I understand where you are coming from completly!
  • daveshoneybun
    daveshoneybun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I know what you 2 mean i say i'm not going to do it, but i end up there every morning do the same thing. This is only my 3rd day at doing it and the scale is not moving yet, but hopefully it will.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I do the same but the problem comes when the scales dont move for 10 days and then I became demotivated. Luckily the inches are coming off and my scales have a BF monitor which is still going down.

I am really tempted to put the scales in a cupboard and just bring them out once a week.
  • bootlebop1979
    Options
    This is the first week that I have only stepped on the scale for WI. I usually step on the scale in the morning before my shower, when I get home before dinner and before I go to bed. Every single day! This week, I only stepped on the scale Monday afternoon at my WW meeting and haven't been on it since. I have been tempted but, I stopped cold turkey....at least for this week...LOL! =)
  • TealStar13
    TealStar13 Posts: 165
    Options
    I'm in the same boat sorta. I have to fight with myself to not weigh in everyday. Like this morning the scale was staring at me telling me to weigh in but I fought it off!! heh.
  • pattiann603
    Options
    i weigh myself everyday, too. i've read that it can help keep you on track, because it keeps you accountable for the day to day changes in your body. as long as you don't let the occasional off day (water weight, etc) get to you, i find it motivating as well.

those teensy tiny drops are what keep me on the right path. = )
  • diverchic73
    diverchic73 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Just don't be hard on yourself or have a 'bad' day just cos the scale either doesn't move or goes up. A lot of things affect your weight from day to day.

It is very hard to resist my scales every morning though. I have decided to put them away somewhere so it is easier to resist temptation.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I normally would weigh in twice a week..my official weigh in is on Mondays.
  • riascott
    riascott Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am the same. First thing in the morning before the shower (this is the one which I record), I then weigh myself when I get in from work in my full clothes and then just before I go to bed so that I can prepare myself if I am going to gain or lose in the morning (I generally are a lb lighter in the morning than my night weigh in.

My boyfriend gets cross and says that he wants to hide my scales, and I know that you should only weigh yourself once a week but doing it daily helps me stay strict. If Ive had a binge and can see the numbers on the scales showing a gain it often motivates me to be good the next day to get back to what I was.... I dont think I could last a week wondering if Ive gained or not.

I know that some people see it as obsessive and I know that the scales vary at different times of the day and depending on what I ate and at what time but I dont personally see anything wrong with weighing yourself daily.

It works for me and keeps me on track.... :0)
  • alord426
    alord426 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Julie you already know how bad I am with my scale haha I hate that we want to weigh ourselves so much. You think it would be the opposite. But I am so proud of you for only checking yourself 1 time this week. My goal for next week is to only weigh myself on Monday (mid point). Let's see how it goes lol
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    if the normal fluctuations of life don't mess with your head, then get on that thing three times a day if you like! Haha.

If you can see 3 lb "gain" and tell yourself, whoa I better keep an eye on the salt...and then move along through your day...you are authorized for high scale usage. But if seeing that throws you into a tailspin of self-doubt, and is a motivation-crusher, then the once-a-week plan is likely best.

I check at the beginning and end of every day, because I am able to see ups and downs for what they are...just a part of the fluctuation of life.
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning I'm home (I travel for work, so I might miss 3-4 days at a time). It hasn't become an obsession - yet. My scale also tracks body fat (I know those aren't super-accurate, but I'm just looking for a general trend downward over time). Typically when my weight goes down, my body fat goes up, and vice versa, so there's usually something to be happy about! :tongue: I know that's largely due to water retention, but it keeps me on track. If my weight goes up, it's extra motivation to eat well. If I've lost, I'm happy, and stick with my plan to make sure I stay on track. Win, win!

I can foresee a day when I don't lose as much as quickly, or I plateau. Then it will probably be time to put away the scale for a bit.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I've been guilty of this too and yeah, it can be a great motivator. Be careful though, because not every day is going to be something to necessarily be "happy" about. If you wake up with a 2 pound weight gain tomorrow, will you be ok with that? Weight fluctuates, and as long as you are aware of this and don't let it mess with your head, it should be ok...but if you think it may become something you will obsess over, stop now while you still can.

good luck!
  • catd62
    catd62 Posts: 20
    Options
    I do the same thing. I cant help it either. I think that by getting on that scale everyday is what keeps us in check. My official WI day is on tuesday at my ww meeting but I still get on there everyday anyway. LOL