Die, Thighs, Die!

Options
Hi, I'm totally new to MyFitnessPal and I'm not 100% certain how to do this but well here's my question for you all:
In your weight loss experience, how have you gotten rid of that annoying thigh bulk? I carry some fat but mainly muscle on my legs, and I want to slim it down! I do yoga and some pilates regularily, and try to stretch those muscles the best that I can, but do you have any tips? What has worked/not worked for you? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Cardio. You can't spot reduce fat--it comes off where it wants to. But if you get rid of enough of it, at least some will have to come from your thighs :)
  • Lexie28
    Lexie28 Posts: 219
    Options
    Cardio. You can't spot reduce fat--it comes off where it wants to. But if you get rid of enough of it, at least some will have to come from your thighs :)

I absolutely agree!!! :flowerforyou:
  • hippo_hips
    hippo_hips Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    you can definitely target your thighs.. there are 5 machines at my gym that are the BEST!

look for these:
    Leg Press (all around)
    Leg Curl (hamstrings)
    Leg Extension (the top part of your thighs)
    Hip adduction (inner thighs)
    Hip abduction (outer thighs)

and of course cardio. but those machines will tone your thighs all around.
  • cmg4721
    cmg4721 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    i actually just looked this up on here today too! i also have large thighs. i don't know how familiar you are with the site, but when looking at a post, you can click "search"....do this and search "thunder thighs" and you'll find an article "The Curse of the Thunder Thighs!!! Help!" that might help you out :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges. With as heavy a weight as you can manage!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've done loads of different types of cardio, and power walking worked best for me to slim my thighs, far more than 30DS or running, for example.
  • biggiwig
    biggiwig Posts: 76
    Options
    I have bigger thighs, too. My upper body is a lot smaller. Since I started playing Your Shape Kinect at home, they are getting smaller (of course mainly by the weight loss) and firmer. Some muscle actually show now. I do lots and lots of front, side and back lunges, also squats. Also Inlining and working out on a sliding board for the inner thighs. Toning classes in the gym is a fun thing too.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Love the thread title! lol

My thighs are what's getting me at the moment... i'd be so happy with my body and ready to accept maintenance if it wasn't for my thunder thighs!

I'm doing a mixture of cardio and weights and have lost about an inch and a half off each thigh so it is working!
    At the moment I have muscle though and fat hanging off it... not attractive! Would quite like an overall more toned look but realise it's probably going to take a good few months to get that!
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    you can definitely target your thighs.. there are 5 machines at my gym that are the BEST!

look for these:
    Leg Press (all around)
    Leg Curl (hamstrings)
    Leg Extension (the top part of your thighs)
    Hip adduction (inner thighs)
    Hip abduction (outer thighs)

and of course cardio. but those machines will tone your thighs all around.
    These will certainly target the *muscles* in your thighs, making your thighs stronger, but it will not remove fat from only your thighs. Fat comes off where it wants to come off, you can't spot reduce fat.
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    Thanks so much, all! There are some helpful tips there. Yes, I understand that spot-reduction is impossible, but thanks for all the great answers.