Diet Pills

I know this may be a bad topic to chat about because so many are against diet pills where some are for it but I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the pill Alli? Or has anyone taken them. I have a friend on them and she has lost a ton of weight......which I didnt know she was taken the pills at all. But I was just wondering about them. I have never taken a diet pill and dont really plan to unless they were completely safe.

Thanks all.

Replies

• I know this may be a bad topic to chat about because so many are against diet pills where some are for it but I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the pill Alli? Or has anyone taken them. I have a friend on them and she has lost a ton of weight......which I didnt know she was taken the pills at all. But I was just wondering about them. I have never taken a diet pill and dont really plan to unless they were completely safe.

Thanks all.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    I would (honestly) ck with your Dr before this OC drug or any others. There will be side affects like with any drug. Good luck..

dd
  • diana77
    diana77 Posts: 59 Member
    i dont think its a bad topic and actually i was wondering the same thing couse there is so much talk about that new pill ?????so i guess im asking the same thing
  • there is another thread on here somewhere about this pill....I guess It's really not good for you and can cause some pretty nasty side effects. before going anywhere near that pill you should really do some research...
  • If you go to the web site myalli.com you can read their message boards and they have ALOT of good information on there. Also you can ask questions to a nutritionist, pharmacist and all of the people who have posted there. You should look it up if your curious.
  • Does anybody know if its available in Canada?? I heard it wasnt yet.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    I was on the prescripton form of this pill about 5 years ago. It can be helpful in a weight loss program but really it did nothing for me.

What the pill does is block the absorption of fat in your body. Doing this slightly reduces the number of calories you absorb from fat. You still have to do a low-fat diet and watch what you eat.

To put it bluntly, if you eat too much fat you will have very runny, "greasy" bowl movements. It's not pretty! :frown:
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    I took Alli for about three weeks. I did see moderate results. I didn't have any of the adverse effects unless I ate something obviously unhealthy and fatty. Even then it was no where near what some have described. I also had a friend who has IBS that took them and did not have adverse results. I stopped taking them because I hadn't quite gotten my healthy eating habits down and started seeing results on my own once I did. I can see how it could be quite beneficial though. Hope this helps!:flowerforyou:
  • Drugs are only gonna make you create other issues , they are bad for the body and the studies on them are very short and 5 yrs from now they will say they caused geart attacks or cancer , so I say please dont . My look into the situation is this , and I have a weight problem ok ? You got a weight issue from eating the wrong foods right ? Then all we have to do is eat the right foods and use our legs for what God intended them for and the weight will fall off . It is proved many time in science , that if you consume more calories than you burn you will gain weight no matter who you are . Now you may have medical issues like me I dont know , but allow God to have part in it and give him all the praise for every pound you lose and you will see the biggest results . God is good to his people ... I pray for you and I know the pain weight issues cause .And those pills give you The squirts very bad I was on a pill similar to them and it was very embarrasing to have a wet spot on your pants and you wont even know it . God bless ya
  • Important patient information:
    Please read this information before you start taking orlistat and each time you renew your prescription. This important information may help you successfully lose weight and maintain your weight loss while taking orlistat. This patient information is a summary and is not intended to take the place of discussions with your doctor. It does not list all benefits and risks of orlistat. The medication described here can only be prescribed and dispensed by a licensed health care provider, who has information about your medical condition and more information about the drugs, including how to take it, what to expect, and potential side effects. If you have any questions about orlistat, talk with your doctor.

What is orlistat?
    Orlistat is an oral prescription weight loss medication used to help obese people lose weight and keep this weight off. Orlistat works in your intestines, where it blocks some of the fat you eat from being absorbed. This undigested fat is then eliminated in your bowel movements. Use orlistat together with a reduced-calorie diet that your doctor will recommend.

Excess weight has been proven to contribute to an increased risk of developing many medical problems, including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, and diabetes. The consumption of excess fatty food and calories plays a significant role in the development of excess weight. While fat is an important component of a balanced diet, the consumption of excess fat contributes to excess body weight, since fat provides twice the number of calories per gram of weight as carbohydrates and protein. Reduction of dietary fat intake is one potential way of losing weight.

How does orlistat work?
    If you eat an excess amount of fat or calories, the excess is stored as fat by the body resulting in weight gain. When you eat fat, your body breaks it down into its simplest components so that it can be absorbed. Enzymes in your intestinal tract, called lipases, help digest(or breakdown) fat. When you take orlistat with meals, orlistat attaches to the lipases and blocks them from breaking down some of the fat you have eaten. The undigested fat cannot be absorbed and is eliminated in your bowel movements. By working this way, orlistat helps block about 30% of the fat eaten in food from being absorbed by your body.

Following 1 year of treatment, orlistat in combination with diet was shown to be more effective in reducing weight than diet alone. In most cases, weight loss was gradual. Patients treated with orlistat and a reduced-calorie diet for 1 year lost an average of 13.4 pounds while those on a reduced-calorie diet alone lost 5.8 pounds.

Who should use orlistat?
    A weight loss program that includes a reduced-calorie diet and appropriate physical activity may be adequate in some patients. Discuss with your doctor or other health care provider whether orlistat should be added to such a program.

Orlistat may be right for you if you are considerably overweight (at least 30% above ideal weight or a body mass index of 30 or greater). Orlistat may also be right for you if you are overweight (at least 20% above ideal weight or a body mass index of 27 or greater) and also have other risk factors such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, or diabetes.

How to determine your body mass index (BMI):
    The chart below illustrates BMI according to a variety of weights and heights. The BMI is calculated by dividing your weight in kilograms by your height in meters squared. To use this chart:
    Find the height closest to your height in the left-hand column.
    Then move across the top row to find the weight closest to your weight.
    The number where these 2 meet is your BMI. (For example, a person who weighs 180 lbs and is 5'5” would have a BMI of 30.)

Who should not use orlistat? Those who:
    Consistently have problems absorbing food (chronic malabsorption).
    Have gallbladder problems.
    Are pregnant or are breastfeeding a child.
    Have ever had an allergic reaction to orlistat or any of the inactive ingredients in orlistat.

What should I tell my doctor before taking orlistat?
    Before beginning treatment with orlistat, make sure your doctor knows if you are:
    Allergic to any medicines, foods, or dyes.
    Taking any other weight-loss medication.
    Taking cyclosporine.
    Taking any other medicines (including those not prescribed by your doctor).
    Taking any dietary supplements, including herbal products.
    Planning to become pregnant.
    Anorexic or bulimic.

This information will help you and your physician decide if the expected advantages of orlistat are greater than any possible disadvantages.

How should I take orlistat?
    The recommended dose is one 120 mg capsule by mouth with liquid at each main meal that contains fat. You can take orlistat in conjunction with a mildly reduced-calorie diet up to 3 times a day. Each time you take orlistat, your meal should contain no more than about 30% of calories from fat. Take orlistat during meals or up to 1 hour after a meal. If you occasionally miss a meal or have a meal without fat, you can omit your dose of orlistat. Doses greater than 120 mg 3 times a day have not been shown to provide an additional weight loss benefit.

Use orlistat together with a nutritionally balanced, mildly reduced-calorie diet that contains no more than about 30% of calories from fat. Evenly divide your daily intake of fat, carbohydrates, and protein over 3 main meals.

Try to follow a healthy eating plan such as the one developed by the American Heart Association. Following this eating plan will help you lose weight while decreasing some of the possible gastrointestinal effects you may experience while taking orlistat.

If your daily calorie level is: The recommended daily grams of fat (in a 30% fat diet)are:

Should I take a multivitamin with orlistat? Orlistat interferes with your body's absorption of some fat-soluble vitamins. Therefore, when you use orlistat, take a daily multivitamin supplement that contains vitamins D, E, K, and beta-carotene. Take your multivitamin once a day at least 2 hours before or after taking orlistat, such as at bedtime.

Can I take orlistat while taking other medications? Be sure to discuss with your doctor all medications(including herbal products) you are currently taking, including medicines you can get without a prescription (over-the-counter), to determine if orlistat can be taken in addition to these medications. If you are taking cyclosporine, take orlistat and cyclosporine at least 2 hours apart. If your cyclosporine levels are being measured, more frequent monitoring may be necessary.

How long should I use orlistat? The use of orlistat for more than 2 years has not been studied. You and your doctor should discuss how long you should use orlistat.

What are the most common side effects of orlistat?
    Because orlistat works by blocking the absorption of dietary fat, it is likely that you will experience some changes in bowel habits. These generally occur during the first weeks of treatment; however, they may continue throughout your use of orlistat. These changes may include oily spotting, gas with discharge, urgent need to go to the bathroom, oily or fatty stools, an oily discharge, increased number of bowel movements, and inability to control bowel movements. Due to the presence of undigested fat, the oil seen in a bowel movement may be clear or have a coloration such as orange or brown.

These bowel changes are a natural effect of blocking the fat from being absorbed and indicate that orlistat is working. They generally occur early in treatment, particularly after meals containing higher amounts of fat than are recommended. These symptoms are often temporary and may lessen or disappear as you continue treatment and keep to your recommended diet of meals containing no more than about 30% fat. However, these side effects may occur in some individuals over a period of 6 months or longer.

If you are concerned about these or any other side effects you experience while taking orlistat, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.

What lifestyle changes should I consider when taking orlistat? You must use orlistat with a recommended mildly reduced-calorie diet. Follow a program of regular physical activity, such as walking. However, before you undertake any activity or exercise program, be sure to speak with your doctor or health care provider.

How can I reduce dietary fat?
    To help you get started on reducing the fat in your diet to around 30%, read the labels on all of the foods you buy. Avoid foods that contain more than 30% fat while you are taking orlistat.

When eating meat, poultry or fish, limit your portion to 2 or 3 oz (roughly the size of a deck of cards). Choose lean cuts of meat and remove the skin from poultry. Fill up your meal plate by including more grains, fruits, and vegetables.
    Replace whole-milk products with nonfat or 1%milk and nonfat, reduced-fat, or low-fat dairy items.
    Cook with less fat. Use vegetable oil spray when cooking. Salad dressings, many baked items, and prepackaged, processed, and fast foods are usually high in fat. Use the low- or non-fat versions or cut back on serving sizes.
    When dining out, ask how foods are prepared and request that they be prepared with little or no added fat.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    You should also go back to older posts on this pill. I think if the above doesn't talk you out of it, maybe the other posts will.
  • I have been taking the Alli pill for about 2 weeks. It does take some getting used to but hasn't been that bad. If I don't eat anything with excess fat in it I see no signs of taking it at all. BUT when I did eat some ribs at lunch the other day I learned my lesson quick. I won't be gross here but will just venture to say that I was glad I was close to a restroom. Time will only tell if the pill does any good. I am trying to keep my calories to 1200 a day and am walking about 20 minutes each evening. I started at 197 and the scales in the morning are at 190. I plan on continuing with Alli but just plan on watching those fatty meals...especially when not at home!