Running a 1/2 Marathon

Options
I'm wanting to run a 1/2 marathon in July. I currently don't think I could run a mile... So where do I start?! Anyone have some suggestions on where to get started? Or what to do to get started? I really enjoy walking but this is kind of a 'bucket list' kind of thing that I'm hoping will turn into something I really enjoy and will help me release stress and all that good stuff.

I'm a stay-at-home mom of a 3 yr old and 1 yr old... they keep me busy to say the least, so I will be working out with them in the stroller while I do this. It will be something! :smile:

Looking forward to your input! Thanks in advance!!!

~Kim

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of resources online, but I would recommend you start with the Couch to 5k program. It really gets you started if you've never run before. I'm using an app on my phone called Runner's World Smartcoach to train for my first 10k and after that I'll train for my first 1/2 marathon in September.

Good luck! Running is awesome!!!!
  • chefdan
    chefdan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Here's a good place to start. C25K has helped a lot of us start running and keep with it.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    I am running a 1/2 marathon on May 1. I have only ran a 5k in my life and my advice would be to do a 10k first and see how it goes. I have 2 kids in sports and getting in 3 runs each week is hard. I started training the last week in Dec. only being able to run 1 mile and I feel like I need another 2 months of training. Give yourself time so you do not feel pressured. It will be more enjoyable.
  • kbdelarosa
    kbdelarosa Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Start with the C25K on your phone, that is a 9 week program. Then you can do the C2-10K. I never thought I could run either, started the C25K in January. Just finished a few weeks ago, now I can run 45 minutes with no problem. I never tried it with my kid and her stroller though, that may make things a little tougher, but it's do-able! PS...I read that pushing a stroller burns 25% more calories!
  • jeremymaritz
    Options
    Hey!

This is what I used to get back into running...it worked really well.

http://running.about.com/c/ec/10.htm

I think starting now to train from zero to half-marathon in three and a half months is an unhealthy proposition...try to do too much too soon and you'll hurt yourself!
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    Runner's World has a SmartCoach app for iPhone and Android. It is also available on runnersworld.com. I like to recommend their plans to folks just starting out because it's a good mix of running and cross training. Happy running!
  • aimdawson
    aimdawson Posts: 31
    Options
    Running a half marathon is a great goal! Runner's World has a great training program on their website. Training with the kids in the stroller will be harder but come race day you will appreciate the freedom of running solo. My friends and I started walking before we began training for anything serious. Start out that way walking and break out into a 1,2,3 minute jogs. Once I started running longer distances and also the need to have some "me" time I started getting up before the house and running at 5:30 am. It's still pretty dark but a great feeling knowing that your workout is already finished. Good luck.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Running a half marathon is an amazing experience. Since you are just starting I think your timeline might be a bit too short. I'm not saying you can't do it but I think you would enjoy the process much better if you give yourself more time. As others mentioned their are great online tools, there are also programs at running stores - Learn to Run, Train for a Half, etc. I would highly recommend these as you will meet other people and find potential training partners.
  • jessmsu81
    jessmsu81 Posts: 23
    Options
    I just finished my first 1/2 marathon a month ago. Prior to that I had only walked 5K's and a 4 mile race. The key for me is interval training. I walked 2 minutes, then walked 1 - repeat! Makes the distance more manageable, because you only focus on conquering each individual interval.. :) Plus it allows your body to rest in between, pushing your wall of tolerance back! I'm not a natural runner, so that's what worked for me! GOOD LUCK! Friend me if you'd like!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    my first half-marathon is june 5. :)

i started using the couch to 5k program last year and the normally 9-week program took me 16 weeks. i hated every second of it! but then i stopped running and the strangest thing happened - i MISSED running. so i started back up and i now love it. lol. if you have never heard of jeff galloway, i highly recommend him and his books and his training method. also, i have heard hal higdon is another guy with good training plans (but i personally don't have any experience with that).

you can do it!
  • sciafarm
    sciafarm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started running 2 years ago with the C25K program, then used Hal Higdon to train for a 10K then a 10-miler! His plans for beginners are doable, and don't overtrain. I ran the 10-miler a year after I started running, and ran the entire race. Was a great feeling! I'm currently using Hal Higdon to train for a half marathon on 5/7. Good luck with your program!!
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    You better start TODAY ... and you do not want to push the training aspect of this or you'll just grow to hate running. I started back up running on the Couch-to-5K program on January 24, with the goal of training for a 10K (just under half of a half-marathon) and THAT was a 16-week schedule for me.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it or that you physically can't, but you need to be very careful. More important than the event is your health and enjoyment of what you're doing.

If it's an event you really want to be in, consider doing it in 2012 and looking for events that match your training goals along the way in your area.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    Why are you in such of a hurry? Why not start with a 5k or 10k? Running too much too soon is a ticket for injury!! Start now and you might be good for a Dec 1/2 or next year is even better.
  • bdmoffett
    Options
    Some buddies and I are running our first 1/2 marathon on Sunday here in Dallas. We have been training together since the beginning of the year. I started with the interval training as well and while my endurance has significantly increased and I can do less walking and much longer stints of running, I am going to stick with 2 minutes run and 1 minute walk for the race so I can keep up my pace and finish without injury. I hadn't done any running for exercise in over a decade so the interval training really allowed me to get going and stick with our pretty aggressive plan. The plan we followed had us doing 2 runs a week of 3-miles (or 30 minutes, whichever is first). Then we did long runs on the weekend, we increased mileage each weekend and have maxed out at 12 miles, which we did a few weeks ago. The 13.1 will be our longest run yet - we are all excited and nervous. It has been a great goal and I feel good about our training and know we will all be very proud of ourselves on Sunday! Good luck on the 1/2 - you can do it!
  • katalak
    katalak Posts: 5
    Options
    You should start with a 5k. I cannot run a mile at this point but I sure can bust my tail brisk walking 3.2 miles which is what a 5k is and so I signed up for a 5k to make myself not be able to back out and it is Sept 18th which gives me plenty of time to train and I don't wanna overdo it in the beginning and do something to mess this life change up...it's a process...one moment at a time. Best of luck...
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to chime in and agree with everyone else. I'm running my first 10k on Sunday. I started with C25K then did the Ease into 10K app on my Ipod. I sort of ran out of time with that program due to injury and switched to the Galloway Running Method so I could baby my knee a little more. It's just what everyone else has suggested. Run/walk intervals. I downloaded a really basic interval app and set it myself for something I thought I could keep up for an entire 10k without pain. At this point in my training it happens to be run 7 minutes walk 1 minute. The beauty is you can follow a set schedule or go at your own pace. If you google Galloway it'll explain why the run/walk thing is so effective, helps prevent injury and is perfect for any runner. Good luck!
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Some buddies and I are running our first 1/2 marathon on Sunday here in Dallas. We have been training together since the beginning of the year. I started with the interval training as well and while my endurance has significantly increased and I can do less walking and much longer stints of running, I am going to stick with 2 minutes run and 1 minute walk for the race so I can keep up my pace and finish without injury. I hadn't done any running for exercise in over a decade so the interval training really allowed me to get going and stick with our pretty aggressive plan. The plan we followed had us doing 2 runs a week of 3-miles (or 30 minutes, whichever is first). Then we did long runs on the weekend, we increased mileage each weekend and have maxed out at 12 miles, which we did a few weeks ago. The 13.1 will be our longest run yet - we are all excited and nervous. It has been a great goal and I feel good about our training and know we will all be very proud of ourselves on Sunday! Good luck on the 1/2 - you can do it!

Good luck to you ... although I feel I have to mention that it is NOT a good idea for 99% of people to have race day be your "longest run yet." Most training programs (with the exception of marathons and longer) build into their training programs runs that are longer than the actual race. For instance, for my 10K (6.2 miles), I have an 8-mile run the weekend before the race. Half-marathons include runs of 14-16 miles. Marathons generally build up to 20-22 miles, because the taxing nature of a 26-mile run would deteriorate more than it would train.
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out then you may love Jeff Galloway - his philosophy is a run/walk method. Other avid marathoners swear by his programs. Personally, I love Hal Higon. His training modules work for me every time.

www.jeffgalloway.com

www.halhigdon.com

Happy Running!
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hey!

This is what I used to get back into running...it worked really well.

http://running.about.com/c/ec/10.htm

I think starting now to train from zero to half-marathon in three and a half months is an unhealthy proposition...try to do too much too soon and you'll hurt yourself!
    Christine is awesome. I trained with her through TNT in 2007. She has great programs. Her programs helped me be conquered running on Hills.

As someone mentioned before 3-4 months is not enough unless you have a running base and have been doing it for a while. To start from scratch I'd say to allow 16-18 weeks to prevent injuries. The training is part of the experience. Don't rush it. Good Luck.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it has been mentioned but I am using the Hal Higden plan:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm
    It's 12 weeks and I only run 3 times each week, I don't always do the cross-training. I did start with couch to 5k and Gateway to 8k, so your goals are ambitious, this novice plan requires that you run 3 miles to start, but you don't have to run the whole time, just complete the distance and see how it goes!