Treadmill Help

Options
My friend is moving in to a smaller place and she is giving me her treadmill. I have never used one before and I have no idea what I should start with. Can anyone help me please.

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Just be careful and keep any pets away from it!

Sincerely,

George Jetson
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It probably depends on your base level of fitness. How often do you normally work out and what do you do?

Most treadmills have a 'quick start' function or a manual setting, so you don't have to jump straight into a pre-programmed workout if you don't want to...
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    If it doesn't come with a manual, do a Google search for the make, model and the word manual. Depending on bells and whistles you can set it up properly and use it properly.

I, personally, started out three months ago walking on my treadmill at the slowest speed and no incline for 10 minutes and worked up from there. Where you start depends on you, your age, your fitness level, etc. I now do 40 minutes a day at 4.3 - 4.5 speed and the highest incline level.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember - don't use the handrails - I was doing that until I read not too on one of the forum posts. If you hang on to the handrails it changes your stride and you don't burn as many calories. Hard to change once you've gotten used to hangin on like I did - but it's true!
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    Just be careful and keep any pets away from it!

No no!! My treadmill is broken right now, which makes me sad, because my dog LOVED it! He would hop on with me every time and I would often put him on it if I didn't take him on an outdoor run with me. He needs to burn energy and exercise just like we do.
  • shamrock52
    Options
    i have a co-worker who lost a lot of weigh on her treadmill,i mean a lot of weigh about 90lbs and she just started out with 15min. a day and on weekends she said she pushed for an hour,hope this helped
  • Lori07
    Lori07 Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanks everyone I never would have thought about the hand rail thing but that makes sense. I will definitely look for the manual it will probably help me a lot. Maybe it can help with how to figure out what I should be starting at.