What was it that pushed you past the plateau?

Options
I feel like I tend to get to a certain point and stay there. I'm curious what it was that you changed to get results and stay where you want to be?

Replies

• mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I'm kind of there now. I am changing my workout so i'm hoping that will do it. :ohwell:
  • kbdelarosa
    kbdelarosa Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I did a fruit and veggie (and a teeny bit of protein-half a chicken breast) cleanse the last few days....and NOTHING but water to drink (which is SO hard for me, I love diet coke, diet tea, ect). Down 3 pounds!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I started running, kicked my calorie burn and weight loss into overdrive.
  • drmelvis
    drmelvis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am also at a plateau for the last 7 months and am unsure if I should eat more calories. This program adds calories from exercise, but I am unsure if I should really eat those calories or have a deficit with each day. Very interested in this post!
  • 2ndHalf
    2ndHalf Posts: 15
    Options
    Altered my diet, fewer carbs & sugar with more protein. Good luck, only got 11lbs to go.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    To push through plateaus, I always had to up my calories, about 200 each time and stayed at the new level. I went from 1200 to 1425, then down to 1360 and about to go up again to 1600... lol Crazy, I know! But it worked for me.

PS- I eat and have always ate all of my exercise calories so most days I am consuming about 2000-2300 calories.
  • crystaldougherty
    crystaldougherty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Jazz your exercise routine up a bit, maybe take a mile walk(brisk pace) and add some weights and a few jumping jacks or squats or what not, get creative and use your surroundings. Or say your feeling like staying home, kick on some exercise videos (Youtube. or if you have netflix theres some good ones). Theres several ways to push past your plateau you just have to dig..
  • diviana
    diviana Posts: 53
    Options
    I upped my carb intake by 50% and changed up my exercise routine. Took a week, but things are moving again :-)
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I started eating more. Changed goal from 1.5 a week loss to 1. I have always ate most exercise calories back when I was hungry. The extra couple of hundred calories seemed to do it.
  • Ashbee1224
    Options
    One of my friends is seeing a nurtionist and she has her switching up her calorie intake to boost her metabolism. She does 1200 cal for 7 days, then 1500 cal for 28 days and then 2000 cal for 7 days but has to weigh herself everyday at that point and if she gains a pound go back to 1200 for 7 days. Confusing I know! Im looking seeking out a nutritionist to make sure I dont run into to many weightloss roadblocks...
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I changed my goals. It was set @ sedentary lifestyle but I changed it up to the next one above that. That upted my calories by like 150 & I started eating more of my exercise calories. I also started taking GREEN TEA Fat Burner Supplements. I think all of that combined is what helped me to get past my plateau.

I don't know how many calories you are eating daily, but I've heard that if you eat under 1200 calories a day, you can slower your metabolism. SO if you are staying under 1200, I would recommend you to eat @ least 1200 (more when you exercise). I know it sounds weird (eat more calories & lose more fat) but it works.

Good luck! YOU CAN do this & YOU WILL in time! =D
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong.....YOU most likely will still lose weight if you eat under 1200 calories & have a long way to reach your goal....What I meant was that sometimes when people plateau, it's because they are close to their goal weight. And if that's your case, then you do need to eat more calories or your body will start storing fat to live off of when you eat under. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say & I hope this information helps you in some way! :)
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I took 2 consecutive rest days and focused on getting more sleep (at least 7 hrs/night when possible). I'm zig-zagging my calories and raised them from the 1200 MFP sets. I also eat to make sure my net is over 1000 (striving for 1200) when I exercise, so yes I try to eat most of my exercise calories or at least net my BMR. Your body needs fuel to handle the exercise. When I work out I do combination of running and strength exercises (don't neglect the power of weight training). You can burn way more calories with muscle than fat.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    A good system shock works well for me. I change up my workout completely.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Competing with a mortal enemy to see who can weigh less.

Oh! You mean what did I eat/how did I work out? At the time I went on a three day cleansing fast.
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    I was in about a two month plateau! What finally broke through it was zig zagging my calories. I guess it tricked my system but it definitely worked:)

I used this calculator http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • kookla33
    kookla33 Posts: 234
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys! This is really interesting and helpful info.! I have noticed when I eat what I feel my body needs I lose weight too! It is weird though. Sometimes the scale will show I lost one pound on day, gained 5 pounds the next day, and then bounce back down to show like an eight pounds loss the next day. I eat the same calorie range, so it must be different factors like salt intake and water consumption.

Here's to pushing past those annoying plateaus! You guys inspire me to not give up!
  • thisislarry
    thisislarry Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Kookla, I read that if you push you calorie intake too low, your body goes into starvation mode, which makes you plateau if you're trying to lose weight. That happened to me a few weeks back when I was eating 200 calories less than what I should have been, thinking it would get me to lose faster. And the more I plateaued, the more I lowered my calories, which was the wrong thing to do! When I upped my calories back to what I should have been at, I got off the plateau.

Strange that I needed to eat more to weigh less! Now I try to make sure that not only am I not eating too much, I'm not eating too little. Good luck!