Need help/ideas to getting up earlier to excercise

Options
I have been on MFP since Jan 6th have lost 12 lbs but my exercise is not getting done....always have an excuse at night....I would love all of your help on tricks to get up earlier to exercise.....what works for you all?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Going to bed earlier and drinking lots of coffee before exercise.
  • MommaTLE
    MommaTLE Posts: 10
    Options
    I am same way and doing great on the food and calorie counting but exercise just not getting done. I already get up at 5:30 to get ready for work and kids off to school and then after work we have all the kids activities and often not home until after 9. I am hoping to see some good ideas. Great job on the 12 pounds!!!! I am loving MFP.
  • shuneault
    shuneault Posts: 13
    Options
    I had the same problem. I spoke with my nutritionist and she told me that it takes two weeks to change your daily routine and to force myself out of bed in the morning to go to the gym and workout. So that's what I did and it wasn't fun in the beginning but now it feels weird when I don't. I love getting up (not super early but not late either) and workout. So my advice, set your alarm at the same time every morning and start a new routine - soon enough it'll come natural to you.
  • 2004Jessica
    2004Jessica Posts: 113
    Options
    Set the alarm up across the room. When it goes off, turn the light on and then turn the alarm off- not just snooze! I also recommend you have the alarm go of in annoying beep mode- not radio mode. And believe it will work!! Don't think- just do it! :happy:
  • crebbe
    crebbe Posts: 18
    Options
    I have trouble waking up early to work out too!

Fortunately (and unfortunately!) I bought a new swim suit that looks awful on at the moment, so I hung it up in my bedroom to motivate me to get out of bed early, and have a picture of it in my office to encourage a walk at lunch and gym after work! I know this may be strange but it motivates me!

Good luck!
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I know I sound crazy, but I've always been a morning person. I get up at 4:00 am and I'm at the gym by 4:15! (my cell phone doesn't ring, my daughter doesn't need a ride, I'm not making dinner...etc) What motivates me now is that I am working towards a goal...I'd like to do a triathalon a year from now. I am NO WHERE near being ready...I can't even run for longer than one minute. BUT, I get really motivated trying. In fact, I walk/run 3.14 miles when I am on the treadmill, which is the distance for many "sprint" triathalons. Now, I may never get into good enough shape to do it, but at least I'm trying, and I enjoy focusing on the new goals! I also enjoy putting a BIG "W" on my calendar when I go to the gym. It feels good to look at my calendar seeing all the workouts I've completed for the week and for the month. Getting up that early means I go to bed around 9 pm. If I don't, it is BRUTAL to get up that early and have to work a full day. and some days, I don't. It's all about balance! Good luck to you!
  • susancelli928
    Options
    I personally get up between 3:30 and 4:00 a.m., to go to the Gym. I prefer going in the morning as it gives me more energy during the day. Granite I do go in the morning and after work, but I get a stronger work out during the day as there are less people at the time. You just have to find out what is the best time for you and do it
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    Honestly? JUST DO IT.

Sign up for a work out class or something, that will motivate you more and they will motivate you to wake up! Thats what I do :) then You are like dang I paid for this....and you wake up about 10 minutes into the workout and are up for the rest of the day!
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    Honestly? JUST DO IT.

Sign up for a work out class or something, that will motivate you more and they will motivate you to wake up! Thats what I do :) then You are like dang I paid for this....and you wake up about 10 minutes into the workout and are up for the rest of the day!
  • bsteel618
    Options
    Never thought I could run either, but I have been for months and LOVE IT. You really need to start on a treadmill and at a slower pace than what you would like. When you can "run" at your slower speed for three miles, begin to increase the speed. I feel invincible if I run 3 miles in the morning before work. Running magazines are great too. Not only do they give you great pointers, but it's inspirational every month when they show up in your mailbox. Good luck! There is nothing like a good, morning run!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I don't do this but I read that someone had slept in their workout clothes AND put their alarm across the room. THat way when they got up to turn it off, they were already up and read to go. Good luck!
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    I have trouble waking up early to work out too!

Fortunately (and unfortunately!) I bought a new swim suit that looks awful on at the moment, so I hung it up in my bedroom to motivate me to get out of bed early, and have a picture of it in my office to encourage a walk at lunch and gym after work! I know this may be strange but it motivates me!

Good luck!

I definitely do this too but instead I put up woman that inspire me with their looks. Kelly Osbourne, Jennifer Hudson and Jillian Michaels!
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    I don't do this but I read that someone had slept in their workout clothes AND put their alarm across the room. THat way when they got up to turn it off, they were already up and read to go. Good luck!

I do the workout clothes on part! Cause then all you got to do is grab your water and keys and GO!
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    I have been having some problems with waking up as well. My goal is to start it this coming Monday..

I tried the whole putting my alarm across the room, but that also did not work as well as it could have... Great job on the 12 pounds though
  • LHarders
    LHarders Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.....I know I just need to do it :) I am going to try the alarm across the room...right now hubby gets up at 6 and I stay in bed until 7.....when the alarm goes off the light will go on (probably better warn hubby of this :) also I will have to go to bed before 10....say a little prayer for me for I start tomorrow.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Try melatonin if you have trouble going to sleep early. It knocks me out and I sleep like the dead. After you get up early for a few days, it is much easier going to sleep earlier.