Short Ladies

Options

Replies

• silver_lining87
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and set at 1400 calories a day, I'm pretty much under that every day.
  • cooki3s
    cooki3s Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm 5 ft tall and on a 1200 calorie intake. With my progress, I have plateaued twice, once after losing 4.5 kg, then at the 5.5 kg loss mark.
    My two cents is that, our amazing body mechanisms are quite sensitive to changes in food intake, and eventually over time this is why it gets harder to lose the last few pounds. Our body starts to more efficiently use what calories we feed it, so that it can keep us in what it considers a stable weight. I've found quite a few others have been able to deal with this by giving a go varying their calories say - over the limit one day then under the next.. or something akin to a "treat day".
    I would find the reasoning behind this is that providing a little more abundance in calories to the body signals it with - oh, I dont have to skimp and increase efficiency after all, this ain't no famine! This is just a once-off thing though, if done regularly, weight will not be going anywhere..
    Hope that this might help you or others if they find themselves reaching a wall... Ive just broken through my 2nd plateau and I reckon I will be at this weight for quite a while yet. Yet I am comfortable enjoying the view from here, and taking it REAAALLLL slow.
    sorry also if i have overlooked other previous comments and repeated something that someone else said. :P

note: my display pic the second is my "sorta" ideal weight, not where im at currently. i may change that depending on how the next kg goes, im not gonna sacrifice my "girls" to get stick thin. :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' and have about 20lbs to lose. I asked MFP to help me lose 1lb a week and it gave me a target of 1200 calories.

I have lost nothing in the last 10 weeks. I exercise 3+ times a week (mix cardio/strength) and eat my exercise calories.

My BMR according to MFP is 1252. According to other sites it is 1380. Maintenance cals are about 1600. For someone my size I don't think I should be eating below my BMR. Yesterday I changed my target loss to 0.5lb a week and MFP gave me 1300 calories a day. I think that is a better target as my metabolism speeds up with the extra exercise I am doing. If I don't see a change (weight OR measurements) in 6 weeks then I will UP my calories again to 1380. I don't care if it takes all year to lose the 20lbs, by that time, I should be the fittest, most toned and healthy individual out there.....

read this for info on why 1200 may not be the magic number that suits all.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I think the big calorie differences are worked out through weight more than height. I am 5ft 5 and only get 1280, it never goes below 1200 for anyone.
  • healthyandthin
    healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    One of my friends studying medicine suggested to me that weight loss can be just as effective if one eats 3000 calories spread over two days. It doesn't matter how you distribute those calories. For ex: you can have 1700 calories on the first day and 1300 calories on the second day. The ability to change your intake daily helps boosts your metabolism.
  • Moncheche
    Moncheche Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am also 5 2 and on the 1200 calorie a day limit. I have been struggling with this amount myself. I used to eat far more calories a day, which of course, is the reason I have some to loose now. Many days I find myself still hungry, but I really feel like my body needs to adjust from my habit of over-eating. This site has also made me far more aware of how I use my calories. For example, I can eat an apple with 70 calories or eat about 5 potato chips. I'm trying to find healthy options that allow me to eat "more" and that fills me up. Like the other ladies, I also up my calories when I work out...usually adding a Special K protein shake to give my body the fuel it needs to get my heart pumping. You definitely aren't alone in this battle! Seeing other ladies who have been successful with this approach gives me hope and pushes me to keep going each day.
  • my3kidos
    my3kidos Posts: 19
    Options
    This is a great post. I am 5'3 and also on the 1200 cals a day plan. Which 6 days a week isn't an issue cause I workout and I eat my exercise cals. I see lots of posts about not eating vs. eating them and honestly I workout so hard most days that I would feel faint if I didn't eat them so that isn't even an issue for me. What is frustrating is that one day a week that I rest from formal exercise and I still try to maintain 1200 cals. First of all I don't want to screw up my metablism in the long run. Secondly- I fing myself starving by 4pm. Thirdly- its a bit of a mental challenge for me as well.
  • kbdelarosa
    kbdelarosa Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Try zig zagging your calories. I went on www.freedieting.com/tools.calorie_calculator.htm

The last few days I did a mainly fruit and veggie cleanse and dropped 3 pounds which got me off my plateau. Now I am going back to my zig zag, which is 1128 on the lowest day and 1689 on the highest day of the week. The theory is to eat the same amt of calories in a week, but you keep your body guessing so that it doesn't get used to the small amount of calories and doesn't slow the metabolism to get used to just 1200 daily. BTW-I am 5'2.5"....Team Hot Short Girls! Ha!
  • my3kidos
    my3kidos Posts: 19
    Options
    Try zig zagging your calories. I went on www.freedieting.com/tools.calorie_calculator.htm

The last few days I did a mainly fruit and veggie cleanse and dropped 3 pounds which got me off my plateau. Now I am going back to my zig zag, which is 1128 on the lowest day and 1689 on the highest day of the week. The theory is to eat the same amt of calories in a week, but you keep your body guessing so that it doesn't get used to the small amount of calories and doesn't slow the metabolism to get used to just 1200 daily. BTW-I am 5'2.5"....Team Hot Short Girls! Ha!

Can you tell me more about your cleanse? I am trying to break a bit of a plateau myself.
  • 5grn9
    5grn9 Posts: 36
    Options
    Love the Short Ladies topic!

I'm 5'1 and would like to loose 15 pounds which would put me at 115. I've lost 5 so far on MFP and I've been on here for about a month. My limit is 1200 caloriebut most days I'm hungry and seem to go over the 1200 which is why I work out up to 6-7 days a week ( I do love to work out though =) not just b/c of the extra calories. I haven't lost any weight in the last 2 weeks. I do have to admit that I cheat on the weekends- pretty much eat what I want and have some cocktails which I'm sure is the reason why I haven't lost any more. Alcohol adds up the calories really quick! I do tend to do longer workouts on Saturdays b/c I have the time so I end up burning b/t 600-700 calories. So even though I cheat I know I'm not going way over my daily intake on the weekends and I'm SO GOOD during the week. I'm thinking I may have to just allow myself one cheat day instead of two to keep me sane! (sorry I love food! and some drinks! ), maybe up my calories a bit during the week??? because my scale isn't moving!! I started JM 30 day shred on Monday as well so hoping to see some results! I'm really liking this plan but want to see my weight to start coming off a little quicker!!!
    Anyone feel free to "friend" me!
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i'm almost 5'3"- MFP has me at 1500/day- which surprised me when I signed up a few weeks ago, I thought it would be less. I lost weight at first but have been stuck for a couple of weeks... so I may change up my eating habits and set a personal lower base calorie goal closer to 1200. My body maintains well at 1500 but I don't seem to be loosing.... hafta see how it goes! Also at 1500 it's acutally hard to eat back my exercise calories! Really hard. Dont get me wrong I love to eat, but watching what I eat I lean towards healthier choices, hence lower cal choices. I exercise at the end of my work day so once I finish, log it, plan dinner; I'm like "i've got 900 cals to eat?? I can't do that and eat healthy!" It's been tough. I want to go by MFP guidlines but am struggling.

And now reading everyone else's posts I really don't understand why MFP put me at 1500. I logged in starting at 174 lbs, wanting my first goal to be 150, losing slowly at 1-2lbs/wk, exercising minumum 3 times a week for a half hour each (usually burning around 400 cals) and I have an active job- walking all day pretty much so I burn some cals that way also. Doesn't make sense to me.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    See that's the thing. Consistently I'm seeing 1,200 calories. I usually end up a little under my goal but that is actually really bad. It's very hard to get proper nutrition w/anything under 1,200 calories per day. You can put your body in starvation mode.

But with individuals of petite stature (1/2 the worlds 12 year olds are taller than me), can that limit of 1,200 calories be compromised? I'm usually actually at 1,500 calories per day but then I burn 300 calories a day with working out, leaving me at a net intake of 1,200 calories. But if I can't work out every day to up my actual intake it will get hard w/ 1,200 or under to get proper nutrition. Even my health professor said so yesterday.

My goal weight is 111 lbs. 16 more lbs and I'm there.

So does anyone have advise for this? I love working out. And I don't have the big of a problem staying at 1,200 net calories even though I like to joke about larger individuals having a larger calorie allowance. It's the malnutrition that I'm concerned honestly concerned about. Every calorie intake scale (including the one on this website) is screaming 1,200 tops.

~ Joanna

I'm going to guess you have your goal set to lose over a pound a week. Dial that back to .5 or 1 pound a week, eat more, and you'll lose faster.

By the way I'm 5'3 and I set myself at 1500 calories. I don't eat back my exercise calories and when I actually stick with the plan, it works.
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    I'm 5' 1/2". And I get 1,200. But that's with saying I work pretty hard during the day (not the highest setting, but medium) and saying I want to lose 1.5 lbs. per week. I actually like it because after lunch it may say I only have 400 calories left. Meaning I MUST exercise so I can eat dinner & have a juice bar! :D
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I am 5'0" and on 1200 a day but when you add the exercise calories i eat back between 1400-1700 a day. I have lost 20 lbs to date in a little over 2 months.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 0.5". My goal is set at 1200. I eat the full amount plus any exercise calories. I have had great results with it so far and am continuing to lose without much difficulty at all, it's crazy!
  • kmunis
    kmunis Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am 4' 11 3/4" ( so let's say 5 foot :wink: ) MFP has me at 1200 net which after excercise I tend to usually be a bit low. I've got a lot to lose and I have been consistantly losing since I started the program, despite missing the magic 1200 mark a couple of days a week. Its working for me, I eat healthy, lots of fresh fruits and veggies and lean proteins, keeping the sodium in line and drinking lots of water ( which I always forget to log). I know there's lots of opinions on the 1200 mark but I think everyone has a different body chemistry based on all kinds of sciency stuff like your gender, age, DNA, etc and what works for one person may not work for the next one. JMHO
  • trhonda2011
    Options
    I'm 5'2'' (on a good day) and I was also set at the 1200 cal/day plan. I did use freedieting.com and it suggested 1296 for extreme weight loss so I manually set my goal to that. This is the first week so I have no idea how its working. I did eat half my workout calories and have went over slightly some days so we will see how it goes. I definitely love freedieting.com as a tool. Also remember if you put that you are anything other than "Sedentary" you get more calories.
  • sarahbelle87
    sarahbelle87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Is there any way of manually changing your daily calorie limit, or can you only do it by adjusting your diet/fitness profile settings?
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Wow, this has gotten a lot of feedback since last night. Maybe we should start a "short hot ladies" club? LoL! I'll reply to everyone once I get home. In the meantime, thanks so much for all your feedback!

~ Joanna
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Is there any way of manually changing your daily calorie limit, or can you only do it by adjusting your diet/fitness profile settings?

go to 'my home' then 'goals' and click on change goals. You then have either MFP set goals or you can set your own custom goals. I've seen a lot of people change different things like protein, carbs etc. depending on their personal fitness needs.