RUNNING SHOES- I NEED HELP/ADVICE!

Options
I've gone through a lot of running shoes in my past. Mostly Nikes. Some Adidas. I've tried Reeboks & Asics. And a few other brands I think. My fave pair of all time with the Nike Zoom Air Spiridons which were discontinued years ago. I've yet to find another shoe that even compares since then. Anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking about trying Nike Frees but I'm hesitant. I've also noticed Nikes fall apart sooo quickly! My current pair are Nike Air Max 2010s & I don't like them at all. =/ But I need something so I can keep this workout thing going! Preferably something under 100$$ but I'd be willing to pay a lil more if they're amazing. Help! =]

Replies

• Jerzeeblondie
    Options
    I definitely need help finding running shoes too! I was thinking of trying those K-Swiss Tubes
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'll be coming back to view answers you receive because I literally was just searching for tennis shoes online.
  • abaumbach
    Options
    I found some awesome running shoes by Ryka that are very lightweight that I love! These by far are my favorite running shoe!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm a Saucony fan, but most people on here would suggest going to a running store and getting fitted for the right shoe. That will probably cost you over $100, but would probably be worth it.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Have you been to a running store and been fitted/tested? Most places have a 30 day guarantee, worn or not. If you don't like them after trying them they will fit you again to find the right pair. That's what I did and they had me run, walk, and do a treadmill test to check my stance, gait, and other running type things. I spent just over $100 for some Asics but they are the best shoes that I've ever owned and I own a ton of shoes for a guy.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    We spend a huge amount of time on our feet and apply an amazing amount of abuse to them

Go to a professional running store and get fitted. They'll look at the way you walk and run and see what kind of feet you have.

Everyone is different and they'll be able to tell you what you need.

Best way to get comfort.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I have been looking and looking and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the nike free everyday fit, or the nike lunar glide. Sports authority has a sale going on now that is 25.00 off a 100.0o purchase. Let me know what you decide. I've never had a problem with Nikes in the past.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm a Saucony fan, but most people on here would suggest going to a running store and getting fitted for the right shoe. That will probably cost you over $100, but would probably be worth it.

Ya I might try that! My mom tried it & the shoes ended up killing her feet. That's what's been holding me back. =/
  • crissimoyer
    Options
    I'm really liking the Nike LunarSwift. I've bought 2 pairs...ran my last Half-marathon in them & never once had problems with my feet. They are lightweight, comfortable & under $100. I know there's several different styles in the Lunar variety. I buy mine off Eastbay.com
  • emmabharris
    Options
    If you can find a running store in your area that offers a gait or stride analysis, I'd suggest going there. They'll look at what you're wearing now, and they'll make a recommendation based on your stride and arch type. I did this about 6 months ago and found that, not only was I wearing the wrong type of shoe (I needed a stability shoe), but I was wearing the wrong SIZE! They recommended a few different shoes and I was able to decide on the ones that felt best to me - Brooks Adrenaline GTS10. I LOVE them!

Happy shopping!
  • RMX983
    RMX983 Posts: 34
    Options
    Go to a running store and get a gait analysis. You need to find out if you need neutral cushioning shoes, motion control, etc...After that they can point you in the right direction of what kinds of shoes will be best for you.

Personally, I find Saucony to be the most comfortable. I just bought a pair of New Balance that are pretty nice as well.
  • BTMurray
    BTMurray Posts: 7
    Options
    See if you can find a pair of Vibram Five Fingers and try them out. They may be worth the investment.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    That is what I did when I lived in California-they don't have the store here in Utah, but they fit you for a good shoe. You would think they would see you the priciest one, but they didn't. They found one that fit my foot best which happened to be a Saucony. I always use Saucony now. Unfortunately this is one of the few stores in the world that carry my size-so I sit here waiting for the UPS man to come deliver my new shoes today!!!
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    asics are the best. they helped my shin/feet issues while running. love them!
    goodluck!
  • muffin5734
    Options

My running shoes are Saucony as well and I love them. I was personally fitted for them and was told to ask for last years model and they would be cheaper. They were alot cheaper at 139.00 Canadian taxes in. Hope this helps.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    What stores do the gait analysis?
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Saucony Excursions are sooo comfy. I love the pair I have. Heck, I've even seen some of the instructors at my gym wearing the exact same kind as I have.
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've gone through a lot of running shoes in my past. Mostly Nikes. Some Adidas. I've tried Reeboks & Asics. And a few other brands I think. My fave pair of all time with the Nike Zoom Air Spiridons which were discontinued years ago. I've yet to find another shoe that even compares since then. Anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking about trying Nike Frees but I'm hesitant. I've also noticed Nikes fall apart sooo quickly! My current pair are Nike Air Max 2010s & I don't like them at all. =/ But I need something so I can keep this workout thing going! Preferably something under 100$$ but I'd be willing to pay a lil more if they're amazing. Help! =]
    Have you been fitted properly? If not then find a running store that will do that. I'm from Dallas,TX and we have Run On and Luke's Locker. :)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Go to a running shoe store and get fitted. Tell them your budget and they should work with you. I personally, wear mizunos because I have a high arch but since i've lost 30 lbs a different shoe was recommended to me...it is SO important to wear proper shoes. And no offence intended, but nike's (especially the older models) are really terrible for running--poor cushioning and shoe construction (hence the falling apart).
  • babalee
    babalee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love my Nike Free+ ! The key to Nike Free is you have to work up to running in them. Start by walking in them a few days a week and then run just 1-2 miles a few days a week. This is important because they have no support and are supposed to mimic "barefoot running".

I started running in Nike Free+ about a year ago. I also run in Nike Pegasus when I need more support. I run distances over 8 miles in the Pegasus and under 8 miles in the Free+.

Since the Free+'s are supposed to mimic barefoot running, they don't really wear out because there's not much there to start with. But I did buy a second pair after 6 months.

Running shoes are generally good for 300-400 miles. Some people keep track of the mileage on their shoes and buy new ones according to the mileage. Other folks get new shoes when their knees start to hurt. And still others purchase new shoes every 6 months - 1 year.

I don't really have a schedule but, I probably follow the mileage rule closer than the others.

Good luck!

eta: You are the only one who can choose the shoe for you. I did not mean to suggest you should buy Nike's. I just wanted you to know that I have had great success with these shoes. I've been a distance runner for over 30 years.