Still considered sedentary?

Options
I work part time as a sales person, around 17 hours a week (most of that time spend on my feet). But at home I have a desk job (also sales but my own stuff online), so I'm sitting alot and I considered myself sedentary. BUT am I still considered sedentary if I have added 30-60 mins of exercise everyday?

That includes walking to work when possible (3-4x a week), it's a 3.5km walk and my regular workouts via DVDS (usually Jillian or Chalene) that I do everyday.

Just wonderin if that still makes me sedentary...whatcha think, opinions please (but let's be nice k lol)? :bigsmile:

Replies

• fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job so I put myaelf at sedentary. That way if I don't work out I still stay under my cals an dlose weight. When I do exercise I eat back most of my exercise cals to net at least 1200 cals.

So no you are not sedentary but you may consider leaving your diary set that way to make sure you are under your cals.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    IMO no. You would have a higher metabolic rate from the exercise and muscle than someone who sits at a desk all day AND on the couch all night, drives everywhere, and so on
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    IMO no. You would have a higher metabolic rate from the exercise and muscle than someone who sits at a desk all day AND on the couch all night, drives everywhere, and so on

agreed
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes. They factor in an extra calorie allowance for those who are more active during the day with work. Just log your workouts under exercise and it will give you a calorie allowance for that also.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options

agreed
    Triple agreed. You should set it to lightly active at least! :D
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Maybe change to lightly active and just don't log extra calorie burns for the walking to work. DVD's and "intentional" exercise can still be logged for additional calorie burns but consider the walk to work and those 17+ hours a week on your feet as the active part of your level.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I would list you as lightly active because of the walking at work, even though it is only part time. Exercise doesn't count toward activity level though, so you still need to add your calories for your exercise.
  • GettingFit45
    GettingFit45 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the opinions. :) That does help me alot. I did a switch between Sed and Light to see what the calorie dif is and it's only 120 cals :)

Just some days I'm still feeling hungry...but I am starting to realize it's because of the type of food I ingest lol. Need to eat more nutritiously!

I'm adding more protein and fibre these days. Helps alot. :)
    Thanks again I appreciate the help.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the opinions. :) That does help me alot. I did a switch between Sed and Light to see what the calorie dif is and it's only 120 cals :)

Just some days I'm still feeling hungry...but I am starting to realize it's because of the type of food I ingest lol. Need to eat more nutritiously!

I'm adding more protein and fibre these days. Helps alot. :)
    Thanks again I appreciate the help.

Yup its about 150 calories for me for each activity level up.
    Remember to still log your exercise, as it doesn't cover it, just your general daily burn.
    I've read that for each extra 1kg (2.2) lb of muscle you have you burn 100 extra calories a day :bigsmile: The scary thing is thinking of this in reverse - for each kg of muscle you lose you burn 100 less calories a day.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I would list you as lightly active because of the walking at work, even though it is only part time. Exercise doesn't count toward activity level though, so you still need to add your calories for your exercise.

This is what I was going to say.

The "Lifestyle" option is for what you do NORMALLY during the day (not including exercise). That is why there is a whole Exercise section in your diary.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

agreed
    Triple agreed. You should set it to lightly active at least! :D

Agreed in quadriplicate.

And from personal experience... once I started working out regularly, I upped my setting to lightly active, continue to log my exercise and eat those calories back... and I STILL continue to lose about a pound a week.
  • GettingFit45
    GettingFit45 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great stuff everyone :happy:

:flowerforyou: