lowest calorie wine!

Options
understanding that wine is not GREAT for my weight loss...i am heading out to HH with my hubby tonight to meet some of his work peeps! whats better calorie wise red or white ... if its red...is it merlot/cab/pino noir/etc ... if its white is it chard/pino grigio/etc...

thanks!!

Replies

• Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    White wine does have fewer calories than red, and champagne can be another lower-calorie pick. Champagne is around 90 cals per glass, White wine 80-100, and Red around 120 for a small glass (beware huge glasses of wine!). The type of varietal doesn't matter, so pick what works for you.

That said, i'm a huge wino and refuse to give up wine. Luckily, you don't have to. Scale back on your sweets a little for the day and get a really great glass of wine that you can savor and sip slowly, so you only need one (maybe 2!). I use my weight loss as an excuse to order more expensive wine because I don't drink 3 or 4 glasses anymore!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I love wine. I would always get either merlot or chardonnay. I've given up all alcohol for a while to help my weight loss efforts. Enjoy!
  • ScottyLikesCake
    ScottyLikesCake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You could always try a white wine spritzer (personally I think they're a waste of good wine but some people like them :wink: ).
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would exercise a little more and enjoy the wine! If you don't get in the exercie today, you can do it tomorrow, but don't obsess about a couple of glasses of wine in the grand scheme of things! Have fun.
  • jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    You could always try a white wine spritzer (personally I think they're a waste of good wine but some people like them :wink: ).

i do this all the time! but agree...when i have nice wine...i dont like to waste it with seltzer.
  • jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    thanks all! i was actually just reading a post that totally BASHED this one girl...just about calorie intake...and was thinking to myself: 'when i look back at my post people are going to be like 'noooo wineeee'"
    but thanks for the lil tips!
  • NanoReefDiver
    Options
    Great post! I really Need to fit in wine on a more daily basis (it has strangely god-like effects on a health issue of mine). Right now I drink a girly white Zinfandel. Over the past year my hate for the taste has slowly grown into a love so I'd appreciate more low calorie suggestions!
  • ScottyLikesCake
    ScottyLikesCake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers have a range of wines - I've never tried any of them so couldn't comment on the flavour - I also don't know how low calorie they actually are.

A good general rule for wine (probably applies to beer and cider as well) is that the lower the alcohol content the lower the calorie content. Since wine bottles in the UK don't carry nutritional information this can be handy if you're looking for a lighter wine.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You'll have to prise my wine glass from my cold dead hands!

Dry whites, I tend to stick with - chablis if I can get it, or pinot grigio. I look at the calories in a bun or a bar of chocolate, and know which treat I'd prefer to use the same number of calories on!