RUNNING SHOES- I NEED HELP/ADVICE!

Options
2»

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I love my vibrams but you must pay careful attention to the WAY you are running since these don't have support you must make sure you are running properly to avoid injury. A running shoe store will guide you in this as well. Vibrams, however, are AWESOME...my runner's knee has practically been reversed!
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Get fitted is the best advice. I alternate between Nike Free Runs for short distance and Asics Gel Nimbus for long runs. I love the Nikes but since they mirror barefoot running and there like no cushion - it is a bit of a challenge to get used to. I did an 8 mile run in them and could barely walk for a week. Also, they would be a bad idea if your feet/ankles pronate. Oh and dont work out in them! Running only cause they have no support at all...So do urself a favor and get a gait analysis done. That will def help out with potential for injuries.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Alright I'm gonna go to "Big Peach Running Co" this week! Thanks guys!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I'm a Saucony fan, but most people on here would suggest going to a running store and getting fitted for the right shoe. That will probably cost you over $100, but would probably be worth it.

My running shoes are Saucony as well and I love them. I was personally fitted for them and was told to ask for last years model and they would be cheaper. They were alot cheaper at 139.00 Canadian taxes in. Hope this helps.

Saucony's here also. I agree getting fitted would be best but I absolutely love Saucony's. I have 3 pair at all times that I rotate between. 1 for work( I'm on my feet alot) 1 for aerobics/zumba/kickboxing/weights and 1 pair strictly for running.
  • CTCut
    CTCut Posts: 1
    Options
    boughts some New Balance yesterday but I'm not too sure I like them. I was going to get Puma's but I told that brand is more for show than running. this is the first pair of shoes (other than cowboy boots) I've bought in over 7 years. We'll see how they turn out.
  • paperbagprincess
    Options
    Girl... I had the SAME problem! I actually took yrs to find something I like. The thing is, NO ONE on here can tell you what feels comfortable to YOU! I know ppl who swear by Nike, who prefer Adidas, or would rather stick with New Balance.

It depends on why you need them. Are you gunna be wearing them all the time? Are you a runner? I went to a store that specializes in this. I was looking for a good running shoe. I preferred the Mizuno's over EVERYTHING else I tried on times like, 10! They're light, let my feet breathe and move, and didn't feel uncomfortable. HOWEVER I have flat feet... so what I find perfect isn't what someone with a high arch would feel perfect in.

Best thing to do is get measured. When I went for my shoes they even asked me to stand up to see how I balance my weight on my feet.

Going there was the best decision I made and now I have running shoes I love... that don't hurt, rub on the sides of my feet or give me blisters.

Good luck with your search! :)
  • ladybey
    ladybey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    HI,
    I used to go through 4-5 pairs of Running Shoes in a year. They say that a good pair of Shoes should last 300-350 miles. When you think about it, it really isn't a long time.
    I buy my SHoes from Road Runner Sports.
    They have a great variety of Shoes, and their Reps there are very knowledgeable.
    I would recommend that you have your Foot checked to see how you run. Do you pronate, over pronate or run normal. When you find out how you run in your Shoes then you can be fitted to the type of Shoe that you should be running in.
    I always loved Nike, until I found out that I was running in the totally wrong type of shoe.
    I ended up having to switch to the Asics Gel-Kayano. They are a pricy Shoe, but when you think of all that we put our feet through, it is definitly important to be running in the proper Shoe Type.
    All the Best to you.
  • Giovanni_P
    Giovanni_P Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm not a runner. But here's some food for thought.
    New Balance is the "only" American shoe manufacturer that makes 70% of their products in the U.S.A.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have kswiss tubes run100 in purple cost me $67
    they are great for running
  • troyk
    troyk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been running off and on for 15 years or so and am a shoe geek, so here's my take.

1) I get injured fairly easily from running, so my shoes are really important to me. I have a friend who can run in anything and does and never has a problem. Which type of person are you?

2) Yeah, go to a running store and ask for help. They will do a couple of things, look at your arches and watch how you run to see to what degree you pronate (roll to the inside of your foot). Then they'll suggest a type of shoe that's appropriate for you and fit you professionally. Here's the catch, I find that running stores tend to have a bias towards stability shoes and probably that's okay for most people. I'm a neutral runner and stability shoes actually cause me problems. I know enough now to push back and/or walk out and go somewhere else if I think they're working from a playbook and not trying to fit me. It sounds like you don't, so beware. There is a home test, get out of the shower or pool or whatever and step down on something that will leave a footprint. If it's one solid footprint you've got a low arch, if it's a forefoot print and heel print, you've got a high arch and if the front and back are joined by a little bridge you're in the middle. In broad terms, low arch= motion control shoe, high arch=neutral cushion shoe, medium=moderate stability. www.roadrunnersports.com has a little wizard to take you through this and suggest models. www.runnersworld.com does as well I think.

3) There is a trend of "barefoot" shoes. Vibrium Five Fingers are the boldest example, Nike Frees less dramatic, almost everyone has a model at this point. This is either for you or it's not. You have to change the way you run and don't believe that you can't be injured just because you're barefoot. People still do. The friends I have pretty much go through a cycle of preaching the evils of shoes and they are responsible for all of our injuries and thank heavens for the barefoot craze, then they get injured, but swear it's not because of barefoot running and I back out of the conversation because it's not going anywhere. People have run and won marathons in them, don't rule it out, but it's a complete change and don't let anyone tell you that results are guaranteed. If you're interested, there is a ton of information on-line about it, if it starts feeling cultish...it sort of is, but it also works for some people, you have to make up your own mind. I'm seeing more moderate positions on them now which makes me happy. Suggested for speed days or certain types of training, but not as your milage shoes. Decide for yourself or just ignore the whole movement, it's apples to oranges from your question, in my opinion, but as I type this, I'm certain someone will push back on my statements. Decide for yourself.

4) Once you have a type and a budget, then you get to brand and model. What fits me is not necessarily going to be relevant to you. I've had the best luck personally with Brooks and ASICS. I love Saucony, but they change their models a lot and I haven't embraced a new one. Great shoes if you can find the right model for you, though they fit some people better than others. I've tried really hard to like New Balance, but they just don't feel right to me. Mizunos are too stiff for my tastes, but I think they're great shoes, for people who like them. I have a bias for companies that specialize in running shoes vs general shoes (though ASICS are the later and I like them). Adidas, Nike, Rebok, Puma, K_Swiss, etc I haven't really given a fair chance to on that basis, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

As I said, I am a shoe geek, I've tried a lot of things, subscribe to Runners World and read every shoe review current and archived and go through a couple of pairs a year. That doesn't mean I'm a good runner, but hopefully my font of normally useless knowledge helps you a little in this case.

By the way, I don't think it's that relevant, but I'm a neutral runner currently running in Brooks Defyance. I'm very happy with them, but that should only mean so much to you.
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just started regularly walking/jogging on the tread mill so I wanted to get a good pair of tennis shoes.

I tried the Asics ($100.00 a pair) and they absolutely tore up by knee joints so bad. Glad that Finish Line had a 30 day guarantee.

I just bought the Nike Air Max ($150.00 a pair) I love these shoes. They are so easy on my joints but it is a little tight on my feet. I think I just need to not tie them quite a tight. They are very cooshy. They are keepers for me.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Alright I'm gonna go to "Big Peach Running Co" this week! Thanks guys!

So you're near Atlanta? You have lots of options then, as you also have Fleet Feet and Phidippides there. Atlanta is just a hotbed of running!